Am I registered or not????

mjw

Reaction score
Okay, I have an "N" number for my P3A, waiting since 11/2 for 333 Exemption approval - the new rules for UAV's says once registered the FAA will issue a number not an "N" number - do I need to register on the new FAA registration site - I sent FAA an email with this question, but so far no reply - anyone know more details?

Yes, you need to register.

The commercial regulations have not changed. This process has nothing to do with commercial regulations though.

If you are flying your drone(s) for commercial purposes, you will be required to have an N number for each aircraft.
Anyone who flies an RC aircraft between 0.55 lb and 55 lbs, whether you are hobbyist flying for recreation, or a professional flying for business, you will be required to register, and will be issued a single registration number that covers all of your aircraft.
This is different from your N number.

Okay, I have an "N" number for my P3A, waiting since 11/2 for 333 Exemption approval - the new rules for UAV's says once registered the FAA will issue a number not an "N" number - do I need to register on the new FAA registration site - I sent FAA an email with this question, but so far no reply - anyone know more details?

Are you flying commercially? If so your registration (as of this moment right now) is the N# system for each aircraft that is registered that way. This could (and is expected to) change in just a few weeks but that's only speculation.

The commercial regulations have not changed. This process has nothing to do with commercial regulations though.
Not to be argumentative but if I have already received an "N" number from FAA, is not the P3 registered?
Are you flying commercially? If so your registration (as of this moment right now) is the N# system for each aircraft that is registered that way. This could (and is expected to) change in just a few weeks but that's only speculation.
I am trying to use P3 in my inspection business - I have an "N" number - one would think that would already register the UAV - but the feedback I am getting from this post also indicates I should "register" on or after 12/21 - I found nothing in the FAA rules (in that huge document) that says if you have an "N" number one does not need to go through the new registration requirements -

Not to be argumentative but if I have already received an "N" number from FAA, is not the P3 registered?
I think so. But, if you continue to fly for the pastor (or other recreational purposes), then it seems you might need to register. This would be a good topic for the FAA to include in their FAQ.

IMO,It does not get any clearer than this. UAS Registration Q&A

What's covered by the new registration system?
Q. Who is required to register on the new online UAS registration website?

A. Only individual recreational or hobby users who meet U.S. citizenship requirements are able to register their unmanned aircraft using this new streamlined web-based process. This new, faster and easier system will be available for other UAS owners soon.

So if you are commercial you are already registered thru your N # and do not need to use the new system UNLESS you also have copters that are not on your 333 Exemption and still wish to fly them recreationally. You will put the hobbiest registration number on all the copters that ARE NOT on your 333 Exemption.

I am trying to use P3 in my inspection business - I have an "N" number - one would think that would already register the UAV - but the feedback I am getting from this post also indicates I should "register" on or after 12/21 - I found nothing in the FAA rules (in that huge document) that says if you have an "N" number one does not need to go through the new registration requirements -

The best I can tell (and it's all still speculation until it goes LIVE) is that in the near future there will be a portal to register your "Commercial" UAS in the same system as the hobby system but a commercial registration will require more information very much like the N# system does. Right now you still use just the "Paper" system within part 47 and part 48.
See below:
The FAA will require persons owning small unmanned aircraft used as other than model aircraft (e.g., for a commercial purpose) to pay a fee of $5 to register each aircraft in accordance with part 48, and a $5 fee every three years for renewal of each aircraft registration. The fees for small unmanned aircraft registration and renewal for this population is the same as that currently required by part 47.

IMO,It does not get any clearer than this. UAS Registration Q&A

Unfortunately the Q&A is a very loosely written "Cliffs Notes" of the actual proposal with several discrepancies. I'd reference the actual proposal and even then take it with a grain of salt until things go live. I expect lots of changes to take place fairly quickly.

Rumor on the street is they will announce the "Commercial" aspects later this month so really it all could change in just a couple of weeks. Until then we just wait and watch the forums and FB blow up with people arguing this system of registration. LOL

Reactions: SanCap
The best I can tell (and it's all still speculation until it goes LIVE) is that in the near future there will be a portal to register your "Commercial" UAS in the same system as the hobby system but a commercial registration will require more information very much like the N# system does. Right now you still use just the "Paper" system within part 47 and part 48.
See below:
The FAA will require persons owning small unmanned aircraft used as other than model aircraft (e.g., for a commercial purpose) to pay a fee of $5 to register each aircraft in accordance with part 48, and a $5 fee every three years for renewal of each aircraft registration. The fees for small unmanned aircraft registration and renewal for this population is the same as that currently required by part 47.
That is how I understand it too at this point. Regardless of purpose, all UAS need to be registered. Of course I could be wrong and/or things could change quickly.

Reactions: BigAl07
That is how I understand it too at this point. Regardless of purpose, all UAS need to be registered. Of course I could be wrong and/or things could change quickly.

I filled out the forms and sent a $5 check to the FAA for the N Number. But thankfully, for them, that won't be necessary for this new stuff. Just adds another step to putting the gift quad under the Christmas tree... was going to get my son the Millennium Falcon drone for Christmas... can you see putting a number on that??!! lol... :p

When I went through the N Number process, I had to call the FAA, back in October. The lady I spoke with wasn't too thrilled that a new registration process was coming out, even though at the time they still had no clue what the details were going to be.

I have seen mixed information - I have tried to read the 12/21 registration requirements - prior to all this I have worked through obtaining an "N" number - it on my P3A - my 333 Exemption has been in the "pending" status since 11/2 - so I would think my UAV is registered - I have not seen anything over-riding the N number registration (it appears the new registration process is asking for the same info, but the # one is assigned is not an N number) - if you have an N number do you have to go through the upcoming registration process - if so where does it say that in the new regulations - I can't find it

My P3Pro is for commercial use and is already registered with a N#. My Vision is for hobby use and won't be registered until the court rules on the AMA Petition to stop it.

I have seen mixed information - I have tried to read the 12/21 registration requirements - prior to all this I have worked through obtaining an "N" number - it on my P3A - my 333 Exemption has been in the "pending" status since 11/2 - so I would think my UAV is registered - I have not seen anything over-riding the N number registration (it appears the new registration process is asking for the same info, but the # one is assigned is not an N number) - if you have an N number do you have to go through the upcoming registration process - if so where does it say that in the new regulations - I can't find it

I'm not sure where it actually is in the text of the report, but the general idea is that if you're going to use it for commercial use, it needs an N Number... if you fly for fun (and shouldn't we all??) then you have to do the new registration. I have an N Number for my P2 and waiting for the 333 Exemption. I am also building a quad from scratch and would have to register that one under the new registration.

ust adds another step to putting the gift quad under the Christmas tree... was going to get my son the Millennium Falcon drone for Christmas... can you see putting a number on that??!! lol.
according to there stupid nonsence and will do any thing good for any one rules when I was reading them yesterday they said the number can be any were even inside the battery compartment and it does not need to be visible for the out side. Which just proves one more point of how this is not so much about them caring about the quad drone or what ever and they just want to get the names and addresses of any one that owns any for when they change there mind and say we all have to turn them in for confiscation after they get and estimated 80% or more compliance rate. Them Im sure we will all get a letter saying they are sorry but they deiced to just out right ban any and all civilian owned quads and will set a time frame to hand them over or have a swat team come knocking on your door or some thing. Just like how they do it with every thing else on step at a time. Oh opps wait I might be wrong about the knock on the door by swat lol they dont knock first so by knocking on the door I meant knocking in the door. lol

Which just proves one more point of how this is not so much about them caring about the quad
Right on. It's all about being able to track the owner if the quad is found in a place where it shouldn't be. There's no need to have the number on the outside since the quad will be in hand.

Right on. It's all about being able to track the owner if the quad is found in a place where it shouldn't be. There's no need to have the number on the outside since the quad will be in hand.
Bingo! Very well said.

Reactions: GoodnNuff

or in a stadium... or on a ferris wheel.... lol... :)

Reactions: GoodnNuff

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl