Altitude

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good explanation of how or where the altitude number is measured from when entering waypoints.
I get a default value of 98 feet plugged in but in Austin, we are at roughly 700 feet asl, up to 900+ in the hills. I've flown a few routes successfully but none of the numbers seem to line up on altitude. When the quad flies the route, its indicated altitude just does not line up.

I believe it just takes the starting altitude on setting the Home Point as 0' (give or take a few feet) and everything else goes from there. So if you set your Home Point and launched from a point 1000' ASL, the altimeter would show ~0'. If you set your first waypoint for 200' it will be 200' above that, or roughly 1200' ASL in this example.

Yep. The numbers are supposed to be "AGL" Above Ground Level not ASL. You have to be careful when flying up or down a hill because the phantom can't really do super accurate measurements. Mine is usually plus or minus 30 feet.

The Phantom doesn't display altitude AGL because it has no idea where the ground is.
It's altitude is relative to home point.
If you are flying in a flat area the calculations are easier but if there are hills etc you'll have to factor that into your calculations.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj