Altitude limit

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows if the altitude limit for the P4 will be restricted to 400 feet max.

As far as I can determine via internet, it will be same as the Pro.

I changed it last night to 500m. Got the usual warning about 400 feet that you have to agree to. I'm sure it's like the P3. I'll be flying my P4 when I get off work, so I'll have a more definitive answer this evening.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

It's exactly the same as the P3. 500m is the max.

In the UK, 400 ft altitude is the legal maximum. Above that, you're breaking the law. The max legal range for operations is 500m horizontal distance.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Yes, I too, am back at 500m height maximum.

It's nice to know that elevation limit wasn't reduced...

RedHotPoker

Today took the P4 out to fly to top of Hubbard Park in CT. P4 could not do it. Had plenty of battery & range but because I hit the 400' ceiling I couldn't get up the mountain - would have hit trees. No problem at all with the P3 Pro. I've tried to calibrate the height setting on P4, no success - unless you consider getting it to go lower a success. If there's anyone that has a work around for this please let me know. Other wise I'm returning the bird to DJI. FYI: everything else works great and I get great time out of the battery. I really hope there is something that can be done to get over the 400' limit.

In the UK, 400 ft altitude is the legal maximum. Above that, you're breaking the law. The max legal range for operations is 500m horizontal distance.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk
You mean 400" AGL, correct? The purpose of going higher than 400' from takeoff point is to climb mountains if needed. I wish the limit was 1000m, that would be very cool for climbing mountains, but I suppose nitwits would misuse it.

Today took the P4 out to fly to top of Hubbard Park in CT. P4 could not do it. Had plenty of battery & range but because I hit the 400' ceiling I couldn't get up the mountain - would have hit trees. No problem at all with the P3 Pro. I've tried to calibrate the height setting on P4, no success - unless you consider getting it to go lower a success. If there's anyone that has a work around for this please let me know. Other wise I'm returning the bird to DJI. FYI: everything else works great and I get great time out of the battery. I really hope there is something that can be done to get over the 400' limit.
Try again. You can set the limit to 500m high if you're not in beginner mode. It's no different than P3. There is no such thing as "Calibrating the height". You can simple set the height limit up to 500m high.

Reactions: mattyd58
This is a weird one. The P3 standard and P4 says it has a altitude limit of 400' wile the P3P and P3A says altitude default 400'. 2 completely different meanings even though all 4 drones will go higher that 400 from take off by adjusting the settings in the app. Now here's the thing, since DJI said the newer models have a altitude software limit when new this would give them the right to put an update out that does just that in the future. Maybe they are covering them selfs just incase the FAA/CAA does end up saying they want the altitude limit cut to 400' at some point.

Last edited:
The P3 standard and P4 says it has a altitude limit of 400" wile the P3P and P3A says altitude default 400".
The altitude limit is the same for all P3 and P4 models. It's just poor wording on DJI's part.

Try again. You can set the limit to 500m high if you're not in beginner mode. It's no different than P3. There is no such thing as "Calibrating the height". You can simple set the height limit up to 500m high.
I'll try again right now
Thank you. You are correct. I made the adjustment and the behavior was just the same as the P3. Don't know how I missed that in the beginning but thanks again for bringing it to my attention.

Hmmmmm,

Does this mean to say if your home point is say 19285 feet (in the usa), you could fly up to 400 ft max FAA altitude?

however

If your home point was at 19600 ft, you could only fly up to 85 ft altitude before DJI hard limit reached????

hypothetically of course.....

It's the [likely] limit due to air density.
A Phantom has been flown at Everest Base Camp (near 17000 ft).

This is a weird one. The P3 standard and P4 says it has a altitude limit of 400" wile the P3P and P3A says altitude default 400". 2 completely different meanings even though all 4 drones will go higher that 400" from take off by adjusting the settings in the app. Now here's the thing, since DJI said the newer models have a altitude software limit when new this would give them the right to put an update out that does just that in the future. Maybe they are covering them selfs just incase the FAA/CAA does end up saying they want the altitude limit cut to 400" at some point.
Lol, 400" is certainly too low! 400' is what you meant Of course. Just one ' for feet and two " for inches...I'm not messing with ya, just thought it was funny at first read.

They could always do an update that cuts us off at any height, I don't know how it would work tho, an update that can't be lowered, and HAVE to be implemented? Because A lot of guys wouldn't update then.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31