Altitude issue on the Groundstation Datalink 2.4 Ghz / major

Reaction score
Hello,

i have the Groundstation with the Datalink and if i am not mistaken,

the way the drones are designed, they will always potentially crash on the ground because they can not accurately measure their altitude:

Page 16

http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... n_v3.0.pdf

I always read altitude measurements in my groundstation and they vary, eventhough the drone is at the same spot.

It happened to me a couple of times that i could not safely land because the autonavigatoin would try to land the drone inside the earth.

Really i think this is a major design problem.
The ground station needs accurate altitude data, oterhwise this cant work by design. Right or wrong?

Why does DJI not add accurate sensors like many of the small drones have, e.g. Ultrasonic sensors, to measure the height accurately and combine it with what they have.

Re: Altitude issue on the Groundstation Datalink 2.4 Ghz / m

maxmustermann282 said:
Why does DJI not add accurate sensors like many of the small drones have, e.g. Ultrasonic sensors, to measure the height accurately and combine it with what they have.

What small drones have you seen that currently use ultrasonic sensors?

On landing the way it seems to work is that it slowly descends until it touches ground... then it bounces and finally lands... I think that's how it handles it.

I had a thread on here discussion the weird anomaly of altitude as the bigger issue it caused me was it actually changed what height it thought the ground was at between two flights. I just have decided to really only use altitudes of 60+ ft and to take control of my Phantom when it is basically back at the home point and land manually.

I agree it's a design flaw... or at least a limitation of the altimeter.

There is plenty of small devices, like the parrot drones or others, that combine barometers whit ultrasonic sensors, especially for landing and take off purpose. there is plenty of toy drones with ultrasonic sensors, as well.

ultrasonic works very well in the near field. i dont think they wanted the accuracy in the beginning, because they offer ultrasonic measurement for height in none of their products.

I've never had this issue, with my GS - lands beautifully on auto - it works perfectly!! :geek:

Remember to set the Altitude Offset as recommended before flight. This will solve most altitude issues.

How do you set the offset?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4