Alternatives to the zenmuse H3-2D gimbal for Phantom 2?

Reaction score
I was stupid and just bought the naked Phantom 2 with no gimbal. Hindsight I should have purchased it since it's a lot cheaper when bundled. Are there any recommendations out there for alternative (read: little cheaper) gimbals for the Phantom 2+gopro hero3+?

arun21 said:
I was stupid and just bought the naked Phantom 2 with no gimbal. Hindsight I should have purchased it since it's a lot cheaper when bundled. Are there any recommendations out there for alternative (read: little cheaper) gimbals for the Phantom 2+gopro hero3+?

+1....thought I could manage without and some DIY.... and what I got is the worst jello ever

IMHO, the tarot T-2D is the second best gimbal out there. I have one and I have the zenmuse H3-2D. The Tarot is really close, is has some issues with micro vibrations (some users say, haven't experienced this myself) and the other negative is it can have some horizon drift (1-2 degrees). The zenmuse is the best 2-axis gimbal out there and the plug and play setup on the phantom 2 makes it a no brainier, I would definitely go that route if you can afford it.

I agree, the Tarot t2d is the way to go if you cant get a Zenmuse. I got the 3rd Arris Cm2000 gimbal and it sucks! stay away from Arris. almost 2 times more expensive and not as good as the Tarot t2d.

Ton4 said:
This:

http://www.xaircraft.com/camera-gimbal/

Is a beautifully designed 2 axis gimbal. Lens in the middle, all wires inside, light.

My guess is that it has horizon drift, as most gimbals. Just look at the demo videos, they left some bad horizons in it.

Looks pretty nice actually. Is that compatible with the Phantom 2 though? The video only shows it on another quad that I am unsure the name of.

bump because I may need to replace my zenmuse and i dont want to pay $370 if I dont have to! That stella looks great but I didnt see anything about an adapter for the P2, only the P1.

Feiyu-Tech G3 2 Axis all the way for me. It had a slightly bumpy start when if first came out (I was one of the first to own one in the UK). Really rugged all enclosed design, beefy motors so you can use ND filters no problem and it won't glitch out having a USB cable plugged into it.

They have just released v1.25 firmware which is a big improvement. Early firmware saw bad roll drift but that has been sorted now and you can even calibrate the roll amount.

See my (early) review of it here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok_roLigt0o[/youtube]

Since this they brought out the Phantom mount which comes with all new units. For the money it is great value. Pretty light too.

Oh and they are working on a 3 axis version of it too coming soon I believe. ;)

DeweyAXD said:
Feiyu-Tech G3 2 Axis all the way for me. It had a slightly bumpy start when if first came out (I was one of the first to own one in the UK). Really rugged all enclosed design, beefy motors so you can use ND filters no problem and it won't glitch out having a USB cable plugged into it.

They have just released v1.25 firmware which is a big improvement. Early firmware saw bad roll drift but that has been sorted now and you can even calibrate the roll amount.

Since this they brought out the Phantom mount which comes with all new units. For the money it is great value. Pretty light too.

Oh and they are working on a 3 axis version of it too coming soon I believe. ;)

Just ordered one on the back of your review :)

joeflyer said:
I just ordered a TarotT-2D V2 from Range Video along with the Phantom Adapter Plate. They have the best price around and you'll get it in a couple of days. http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php/mul ... mbals.html

It should be here tomorrow. I'll post how the installation goes.

Joe

Please do post on this thread or start another one. I thought I read that with the Tarot you have to do a few extra modifications to make it fit onto the DJI.

Thanks!

G3 gimbal arrived. Very very pleased so far. Took me all afternoon to fit it as I somehow managed to unbind my tx and spent 4 hrs trying to reconect it :-(

All working now though and cant wait to fly it tomorrow. Just need to find a place for my fpv tx as the mounting plate fornthe gimbal has covered where I used to stick it.

the only thing I can see that is going to annoy me is having to unscrew the clamp to change the gp3 battery

kydan said:
joeflyer said:
I just ordered a TarotT-2D V2 from Range Video along with the Phantom Adapter Plate. They have the best price around and you'll get it in a couple of days. http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php/mul ... mbals.html

It should be here tomorrow. I'll post how the installation goes.

Joe

Please do post on this thread or start another one. I thought I read that with the Tarot you have to do a few extra modifications to make it fit onto the DJI.

Thanks!

I ordered it Monday and it arrived Wednesday. The Phantom Adapter Plate for V2 worked out fine. Access to one of the attaching screws is a little difficult. You have to attach it to the Phantom before installing the circuit board. There is not a lot of clearance above the pins on the board, so I had to use some tiny washers when installing the circuit board so that the pin connectors for tilt control weren't jammed against the plate.

I spent the better part of two days trying to use the software downloaded from Tarot's website. Finally I found this website
http://planner.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-tarot-gimbal/ The download from their site contained the latest software (V1.4) and all of the drivers, etc. that would work on my computer. Plus their instructions for setting it up using the Tx gimbal lever were spot on. Now that it is working correctly I'll shoot some video as soon as the weather improves.

Joe

I have a Tarot. It's fine, but can take some tinkering if you're a perfectionist. I'm looking at the Stella because of the low weight, but I think I'll hold out on an upgrade to see what second-generation 3-axis gimbals are going to be like.

If they're not much better than what w're getting from DYS/Arris today, I'll probably get a Stella and homebrew a yaw axis addon.

If you're in the market today, for the P2 I'd really just spend the $$ and get a Zenmuse. It's one of the best 2-axis out there, one of the lightest, and DJI's gear integrates with it perfectly (built-in GCU/power, fpv hub for iOSD connections, etc.).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj