Alternative batteries?

Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for alternative batteries for the FC40? I would assume (but obviously don't know) that any alternate batteries would have to be chargeable with the OEM charger. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

I'll be following this thread closely, as I'm wanting to purchase the right additional batteries. In another thread some were talking about a 'multistar S3 4000mAh' that was getting 18 min and fits in the fc40. I think the trick here is that the battery is a 10c instead of 20c.. if my limited understanding is correct this means the battery let's off a smaller discharge rate than most.. allowing them to get a maximum mAh rating. But I don't know a whole heap about batteries, just started learning through the forums here since I purchased my fc40 a couple weeks ago.

I read about this battery as well, but the link provided only gave the 20c option.. will be following as well.

I'm not a battery expert, but I actually thought that the "C" value represented the ideal charge rate rather then the discharge rate (and then maybe they are the same). But now I see that I'm full of $^%*&, so forget I mentioned that. :)

slothead said:
Thanks Mikey. It looks like they are popular as they are back-ordered.

Just the international are back ordered...click the USA link and they have some in stock.

hell, just ordered 1 now.

I was interested in this battery before and enough people say it fits. So may as well give it a shot.

I'm probably too new to the game (got my FC40 delivered 7 days ago and on registered here this morning) but figure it would be worth while to compile a list of tested/approved/working add-ons. I've been researching batteries since mid-week but haven't been able to lock anything down. Unfortunately, in my searched, i fell into the black hole of dedicated hobbyists who have modded their phantoms to the point they're almost weapons-grade.

Definitely have a list of batteries that are known to fit without modding the unit. Also any aftermarket propellers, landing gear, etc.

thoughts?

dragonash said:

I was interested in this battery before and enough people say it fits. So may as well give it a shot.

I'm just concerned about the reduced discharge rate... but I'm tempted.. very tempted.. not like it's a heap of money to lose... so I might give it a shot :)

dragonash said:

From what I read on rcgroups there is a small amount of trimming the opening needed...maybe 2 mm's worth to get it to fit.

iamon said:
I'm probably too new to the game (got my FC40 delivered 7 days ago and on registered here this morning) but figure it would be worth while to compile a list of tested/approved/working add-ons. I've been researching batteries since mid-week but haven't been able to lock anything down. Unfortunately, in my searched, i fell into the black hole of dedicated hobbyists who have modded their phantoms to the point they're almost weapons-grade.

Definitely have a list of batteries that are known to fit without modding the unit. Also any aftermarket propellers, landing gear, etc.

thoughts?
Heck, I don't even have my FC40 yet (although I was just flying my P2V+ a few minutes ago), so you are an old-timer FC40-flyer by my standards! :) I'm not going to run out and buy any new batteries just yet (I'll wait until the FC40 is in my hot little hands first), but I'd like to see your list.

dtviewer said:
slothead said:
Thanks Mikey. It looks like they are popular as they are back-ordered.

Just the international are back ordered...click the USA link and they have some in stock.
I see where it says International - backordered, but I don't see a USA link. Where would I find that? Never Mind... I found it. Thanks.

Any word on new batteries? I spent a great deal of time on helipal looking for one but couldn't find the right size and discharge combo. Was gonna buy the one list above at hobbyking but they don't have any additional accessories: was looking to upgrade the props but read horror stories that the CF ones aren't balanced and you can't use Vision2 9inchers without adjusting the gain through the software but my PC won't recognize my Phantom...

End rant...

Do yourself a favor. Get branded name packs.

These are the one's i use :

http://www.rotorquest.com/product_info. ... _id=103056

You can visit that site to get all infos you need about how to take care of your batteries :

https://sites.google.com/site/tjinguyte ... ng-how-tos

Don't forget, it's the heart of your quad. I've tried packs from HK (Turnigy, Nanotech, etc) and i can say they are not on par with branded name one's. Most of the time, 1 cell is much weaker than the others (internal resistance higher) and you will hit "low voltage" much sooner than with the branded name. I don't want to go to deep in manufacturing process but i can say that their material density is much lower than with good one's. Also, they are puffing much more and they come down much warmer. I know it's money concern but on the long run you'll get better performances. I've seen packs from HK last about 60 or 70 cycles and even less than that. With branded names you can go as much as 150 cycles and more if you properly take care of them.

OK, Good! New Question: The Charger!

If you have the stock battery form DJI and you buy after market 3S batteries with a higher capacity, can you still use the DJI charger? If not, when you buy aftermarket, what do you do for a charger?

Mandrake said:
I use the iMax B6 charger all the time now - digital readout so I can see what's going on - can discharge too and recovery mode ..
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-iMAX ... 3380f0191b
Mandrake
Does the B6AC charger comes with the connectors you need to charge the DJI batteries, or do you have to make compatible cables?

Just bought two of these bad boys ! Anyone with experience using the OEM charger on these batteries ?

I need to get a new charger, too bad I threw my old rapid charger away when I moved the last time !

slothead said:
Mandrake said:
I use the iMax B6 charger all the time now - digital readout so I can see what's going on - can discharge too and recovery mode ..
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-iMAX ... 3380f0191b
Mandrake
Does the B6AC charger comes with the connectors you need to charge the DJI batteries, or do you have to make compatible cables?
It comes with about 5 different ones including the DJI yellow job ..M

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20