Alternate to "Skins".....Hydro Dip

Reaction score
Forget skins. As we all know, they are nothing more than stickers. For those of us who use hardshell cases, such as those made by GPC, we have also learned that the case lining material tends to pull the stickers off the P3 shell, and, after pushing them back into place, only to come off again, they eventually lose their ability to stick to the shell. Do you want to continue replacing your stickers? My guess is, the answer is "no". I was considering adding a skin to my P3P until I started reading other threads on this site, when I discovered a reply left within DJI's own forums, which led me to Roc City Design, Inc. (Welcome to ROC City Design - Custom Designed Skinz, Vinyl, T-Shirts and Decals). Yes, they do offer skins (which are among the best, and largest, design selections I've seen), but what impressed me most was their Hydro Graphic Dip options (available for P3, as well as Blade 200QX). This looks like a MUCH better choice, plus it provides the benefit that it won't come off as easily as skins (ie. "stickers") do.

The only "downside" I see is the cost. The starting price is $185, plus an extra $85 if you want matching landing gear. If you would like to add matching battery covers, that adds an additional $22-78 (covering 1-4 battery covers). While "completing the package" (so-to-speak) with a matching transmitter would add to the "coolness" factor, I don't think it's a necessity, especially for another $120 (the "rebuild labor charge"). Once you receive the replacement shell, you simply swap the electronics (most of us should be able to do this, as long as you take your time), and away you fly. If you're not comfortable with swapping the P3's electronics yourself, you can always ship your P3 to them, and pay them another $125 to swap everything for you.

Anyway, this is another option to consider, instead of adding stickers all over your P3's shell. With that said, I am curious...has anyone already purchased a Hydro Dip shell from Roc City Design (or any other companies doing the same/similar process? If so, could you please share your thoughts, as well as photos?

Just checked...they look awsome. Might order one in full dark black carbon fibre.

While the black certainly looks "cool", to the P3 (depending on where you live) it could have the opposite effect...if you catch my meaning. In the DJI forum where I discovered this company, there was someone who had applied a black carbon-look skin (vinyl skin that looks just like carbon fiber), and someone else raised the question of heat. If you live in a cool area, then, by al means, go for it...I would. But, if you live in an area where it tends to heat up (where I live, today, as with the past several days, is to be in the mid 90s), then black might not be the optimal choice. For me, it's currently a tossup between the carbon fiber (blue), digital blue-grey cammo, digital green cammo, carbon fiber (white), or (interestingly/strangely, depending on how one looks at it) "checkers". The carbon fiber (black) is also a possibility, since it's a lighter shade, and shouldn't cause as much internal heat as the dark black. Since the dip covers the top AND bottom, the P3 also becomes more visible from the underside (except for the carbon fiber (white), which would just be for the "cool" factor).

The darker colors may look great but you really don't want to add that to your aircraft unless you never EVER see direct sunlight IMHO.

You can get the HOME/DIY hydro dip kit which is what I plan to do myself in the near future. This is where I'll probably get mine from (Their website could use some work)
My Dip Kit - DIY Do It Yourself Water Transfer Printing Camo Dip Kit.

Reactions: Reed L
I live in London UK.

Weather is
90% ****
4% Good
3% Great
and the other 3% its confusing.

Thats through out the year lol

So, in other words, mostly good flying weather...lol. It reminds me of an ex-girlfriend of mine who, while working for Microsoft, lived in Seattle. By her words, they had "300+ days of precipitation per year." That doesn't mean it rained that much...just that it was "wet" (humidity, rain, etc) that much. Where I live (Silicon Valley), the biggest problem is radio interference, although we have had several 100+ degree days this year, and, even now, we're still getting 90+ degree days. This is not conducive to flying my P3P (or working on my motorcycle, for that matter).

I read on another forum (or maybe FaceBook) about a "Skin" that peeled off in flight and caused a connection between the aircraft and Tera Firma. Apparently it peeled up enough to come in contact with the prop and cause an inflight failure of the prop which quickly escalated from there. Needless to say I've not been brave enough to try one myself LOL.

I read on another forum (or maybe FaceBook) about a "Skin" that peeled off in flight and caused a connection between the aircraft and Tera Firma. Apparently it peeled up enough to come in contact with the prop and cause an inflight failure of the prop which quickly escalated from there. Needless to say I've not been brave enough to try one myself LOL.

Just another reason to go with a Hydro Dip option.

Reactions: BigAl07
Forget skins. As we all know, they are nothing more than stickers. For those of us who use hardshell cases, such as those made by GPC, we have also learned that the case lining material tends to pull the stickers off the P3 shell, and, after pushing them back into place, only to come off again, they eventually lose their ability to stick to the shell. Do you want to continue replacing your stickers? My guess is, the answer is "no". I was considering adding a skin to my P3P until I started reading other threads on this site, when I discovered a reply left within DJI's own forums, which led me to Roc City Design, Inc. (Welcome to ROC City Design - Custom Designed Skinz, Vinyl, T-Shirts and Decals). Yes, they do offer skins (which are among the best, and largest, design selections I've seen), but what impressed me most was their Hydro Graphic Dip options (available for P3, as well as Blade 200QX). This looks like a MUCH better choice, plus it provides the benefit that it won't come off as easily as skins (ie. "stickers") do.

The only "downside" I see is the cost. The starting price is $185, plus an extra $85 if you want matching landing gear. If you would like to add matching battery covers, that adds an additional $22-78 (covering 1-4 battery covers). While "completing the package" (so-to-speak) with a matching transmitter would add to the "coolness" factor, I don't think it's a necessity, especially for another $120 (the "rebuild labor charge"). Once you receive the replacement shell, you simply swap the electronics (most of us should be able to do this, as long as you take your time), and away you fly. If you're not comfortable with swapping the P3's electronics yourself, you can always ship your P3 to them, and pay them another $125 to swap everything for you.

Anyway, this is another option to consider, instead of adding stickers all over your P3's shell. With that said, I am curious...has anyone already purchased a Hydro Dip shell from Roc City Design (or any other companies doing the same/similar process? If so, could you please share your thoughts, as well as photos?

Or you can just by $2.00 of rite dye at walgreens and soak the plastic. Won't add any coating and will change the color of the plastic :) More work on your part but equally as awesome if you want to go cheep.

The darker colors may look great but you really don't want to add that to your aircraft unless you never EVER see direct sunlight IMHO.

You can get the HOME/DIY hydro dip kit which is what I plan to do myself in the near future. This is where I'll probably get mine from (Their website could use some work)
My Dip Kit - DIY Do It Yourself Water Transfer Printing Camo Dip Kit.

Looking over the mydipkit.com website, it looks somewhat obvious that Roc City Designs is doing nothing more than buying their kits from MyDipKit, buying replacement P3 & Inspire 1 shells (plus the other options the offer), and then "upcharging" for doing the work for you. This gives people two great options for the same thing. For those comfortable in their ability to do their shells themselves, use the "MyDipKit" option...and for those who are either uncertain of their ability, or just don't have the time, they could use Roc City Designs.

As for myself, I'm undecided. I'm confident I could do it myself (I'd also be able to do the transmitter), and I definitely like the greater number of design choices offered by mydipkit.com...but, with the motorcycle project I'm about to start (upgrading a Suzuki SV650S to full-on sport bike), I'm not sure I'd have the time for at least another two months. Decisions, decisions...sometimes I really dislike having to make decisions.

Reactions: BigAl07
Just fly it!

Nobody sees the skin in the air. ;)

If I had taken my P3P apart by this point I would be all over the "MyDipKit" but it's still so new that I'm not ready to take her apart let alone send her off LOL.

When I get ready for a new "Make Over" I can pretty much guarantee you it will be a "Allen Dip Job" LOL

It may look really cool but will the new skin help you see it if it goes down? I've never been one to buy camo rifles and as good as it looks, a camo drone would just suck if it went down. Even if you have a gps tracker, if your drone even remotely matches the ground cover that you're flying in, it won't make the day any easier°°° Make mine safety orange please :) lol.

Reactions: bobmyers
It may look really cool but will the new skin help you see it if it goes down? I've never been one to buy camo rifles and as good as it looks, a camo drone would just suck if it went down. Even if you have a gps tracker, if your drone even remotely matches the ground cover that you're flying in, it won't make the day any easier°°° Make mine safety orange please :) lol.

Orange IS one of the available colors...as is red, yellow, and quite a few other choices (especially if you go with the mydipkit.com choices...you just have to "dip" it yourself). True, going with some brought color might better help you find it if it crashes somewhere out of sight, but the primary point is, one again, this (skin/sticker, or "dip") is entirely for a personalized look...nothing more, nothing less.

People don't paint, or cover with stickers, their R/C cars/boats/planes to find them if they lose them...they do it to add "character" to their big-boy-toys. We can do the same thing, but in even more interesting/fun ways. :-D

Orange IS one of the available colors...as is red, yellow, and quite a few other choices (especially if you go with the mydipkit.com choices...you just have to "dip" it yourself). True, going with some brought color might better help you find it if it crashes somewhere out of sight, but the primary point is, one again, this (skin/sticker, or "dip") is entirely for a personalized look...nothing more, nothing less.

People don't paint, or cover with stickers, their R/C cars/boats/planes to find them if they lose them...they do it to add "character" to their big-boy-toys. We can do the same thing, but in even more interesting/fun ways. :-D
It I ordered another, it would have a skin of some sort-- I just don't want to have mine down long enough to do it.:D:D:D Maybe on the P3 V2

I'd like to go with a black Phantom but those 100 degrees days could cause some problems

Reactions: bobmyers
Wouldn't want to lose this in the woods. maxresdefault.jpg

Pink Camo Hydro Dipped shell
The results of my hydro dip :) way better then paint.

Honestly, I'm not one for pink, be it solid, camo, or otherwise...but, I must admit, you've done an outstanding job. That goes for the "resurrection", as well as the dip job. I still haven't had the opportunity to dip mine. Between starting my new job in October, being a part of the pastoral staff for my church, working on a major motorcycle project, and returning to 35mm photography (Nikon F5), I've had little-to-no "free time"...at least where working on my P3P is concerned. Heck, I've rarely had any opportunities to even fly...although that has also, in-part, been due to the weather, as we've (finally, thank God) been getting a lot of long-overdue rain (the drought is nothing to laugh at, especially where the Northern California water supply is concerned). Have fun, go fly...and keep a good eye on your "bird".

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20