Aloha from California

Reaction score
I say Aloha because I live in CA and in HI. I will be returning to Hawaii Jan. 31 to Mar. 8. I have a home in Kauai and a home on the BI. And my base home is in San Jose, CA.
Anyway, an oldie but goodie here who has loved everything aviation since I joined the U.S. Naval Air Forces back in 1956. (I ended up serving on an aircraft carrier) For a brief period I worked for a small regional airline in Hawaii while at the U. Many years later I got hooked on FS. (my son in law worked for MS and I got all my sim games free) But lately I've been fascinated by drones, or quadracopters, what ever the term is used here. Last week I ordered and received my first drone, an EC (stands for El Cheapo) model about 1 foot across. Has a built in camera but have yet to fly outdoors and use it. I joined this forum because after I've had enough practice on my EC I plan to get myself a better drone and I've heard that the Phantoms are considered one of the best. And I like to go with the best. So I'll lurk and read and learn as much as I can until I get proficient enough to go from an EC to a Phantom.

Welcome, a very good place to start. Next check out the video on you tube by typing in Phantom 2 or 3 which ever is your pleasure. This is a spot where users help users and we just enjoy flying and videography or photos. Even have to take time once in a while to clean em up or do repairs. Myself I have been doing this for over a year and a half and have my few shares of close calls and or bumps and bruises. Just a fact of life!
Welcome!

Roy, thanks for the welcome. May I ask you something? Are there local drone pilot clubs that offer local support? I'm wondering also if they have meetings like fixed-wing RC pilots do. I think I would like to find such a club so I can get on-hand help if I need it. I live in San Jose, but spend about 40% of my time in the islands.

Eddie there may be drone clubs I am not aware of, however the Academy of Model Aeronautics are national and you may find the information younarenlooking for at www.modelaircraft.org . There you can find the location of the local clubs for each state where there is park flying and other flying sites. There are also other good benefits as they provide insurance for their members. Check it out You can do a club search at www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx

Thank you, I shall follow up. btw, I just replied email to a dear friend who is now in Tehran. Her name is Roya. She's like a daughter to me. Known her since she was 17. She's now 51. Apologies for going a little bit off topic. This is her visiting us in Kauai last year.

Attachments

• 100_1055.JPG
    100_1055.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 348
Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl