Almost lost my Phantom 3 Pro

Reaction score
I almost lost my beloved Phantom 3 on Saturday night. I had a couple of drinks and then decided to fly an auto pilot mission using the FPV camera app (which I love by the way). I quickly typed in a few targets, entered about 15 waypoints, and let the bird loose. The mission was planned for 10 min's; 30 seconds but it never returned :( It was terrible. I jumped in the car and drove towards the flight path hoping to get a signal of it's last location, nothing. Luckily, my brother came down the next morning and we found it with minimal damage. Even though I have read hundreds of posts about maintaining altitude, I was flying too low and it clipped some trees. The battery fell out on impact thus making a signal impossible to discover. Yes, I was also flying over private property which made the recovery effort a bit more tricky. My altitude at the time of the crash was 102 feet but now my minimum will be 150. I consider myself very lucky so please don't make the same mistake I did. The drone is just fine and I'm up in the air again. Here's a copy of the flight, crash happens at 4:59.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Happy Flying, I have really enjoyed this forum.

The flight log will record the last transmitted signal to the gps. You should be able to locate the aircraft to the point the battery disconnected.

The flight log will record the last transmitted signal to the gps. You should be able to locate the aircraft to the point the battery disconnected.

Just watched the video. You seriously should consider adjusting the video settings based of info shown from the histogram. Notice how much nicer the video looked when you scrolled the camera down below the skyline?

Btw the way, that tree was fairly tall. You were lucky to only have limited damage. Either way it's good to know you wont be grounded due to crash damage.

I almost lost my beloved Phantom 3 on Saturday night. I had a couple of drinks and then decided to fly an auto pilot mission using the FPV camera app (which I love by the way). I quickly typed in a few targets, entered about 15 waypoints, and let the bird loose. The mission was planned for 10 min's; 30 seconds but it never returned :( It was terrible. I jumped in the car and drove towards the flight path hoping to get a signal of it's last location, nothing. Luckily, my brother came down the next morning and we found it with minimal damage. Even though I have read hundreds of posts about maintaining altitude, I was flying too low and it clipped some trees. The battery fell out on impact thus making a signal impossible to discover. Yes, I was also flying over private property which made the recovery effort a bit more tricky. My altitude at the time of the crash was 102 feet but now my minimum will be 150. I consider myself very lucky so please don't make the same mistake I did. The drone is just fine and I'm up in the air again. Here's a copy of the flight, crash happens at 4:59.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Happy Flying, I have really enjoyed this forum.
I am not the drone police but dude don't drink and fly. Be glad that is all that happened. With that said, I am glad you found your Phantom.

A successful recovery without damage, happy ending.

Looking at the video im suprised you didnt increase alritude and avoid the crash. Anything that appears above the horizon is higher than your current altitude you can either go over it around it or into it but you can see it comming so have a choice.

This was on complete auto pilot and out of range. I couldn't see what was happening in real time.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

O
This was on complete auto pilot and out of range. I couldn't see what was happening in real time.

Oh... in that case your a lot braver than i am.... i might go out of VLOS but im not comfortable without a good video downlink.

Can usually get closer to my subject or a take off location with better signal/fly higher.

What app is this?

I'm using an IPhone and it's "FPV Camera" in the App Store. You can set up waypoint missions and the drone will fly the plan, even if signal is lost to the controller. It is by far my favorite way to fly. The only constraint is your battery power.

For me, if there are trees in the area my minimum is 150' (this is if the trees are only 20' tall or so). Almost all trees are not taller then that so I usually set my altitude at 200' in order to clear that 150'. Of course, I _always_ look around to see what is in the area (power lines, trees, buildings etc.).

For me, I simply see _no_ reason to set the altitude at anything less then 50' above the tallest thing I can see.

You were at 100'. 150' would add a _slight_ buffer. I see little reason not to auto fly at 200'. You really are not going to miss much on an auto flight... however, the changes you get the Phantom back are substantially greater.

Reactions: snerd
I'm all for enjoying an adult beverage (I'm enjoying one right now!) but keep than Phantom on the ground when you drink. If you have a mishap that involves the authorities they are going to nail you hard. The Feds have serious rules around operating an aircraft under the influence and right now they are considering a UAV an aircraft. Don't be the next guy that makes the news for a drone mishap. Sorry for your loss but glad you found it.

Best course of action is to program the flight, send her on her way, then begin drinking to relieve the anxiety while hoping she makes it back! :cool:

I'm all for enjoying an adult beverage (I'm enjoying one right now!) but keep than Phantom on the ground when you drink. If you have a mishap that involves the authorities they are going to nail you hard. The Feds have serious rules around operating an aircraft under the influence and right now they are considering a UAV an aircraft. Don't be the next guy that makes the news for a drone mishap. Sorry for your loss but glad you found it.

That made my heart jump a few times when its flying so close over the trees, nice video though, but it could have hit a tree much sooner, glad for you its been recoverd and already flying again, could have been a different story.

I'm using an IPhone and it's "FPV Camera" in the App Store. You can set up waypoint missions and the drone will fly the plan, even if signal is lost to the controller. It is by far my favorite way to fly. The only constraint is your battery power.
ahh ok mate im using an ipad 2 mini myself so il check that out

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan