Almost lost my P4...not how you think!

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1468905324.484900.jpg

It was a calm night so I went out for a long distance flight, everything was working out to 50,000 feet, when I started heading back I just could not get the speed I needed, I was looking for 36 mph and could only get about 33 (it's hard to gauge the wind 10 miles away from you)
About 4 miles from my home point it was clear I was not going to make it back, so I decided to land on the dead-end road that I live on. It's directly in the flightpath and 2 miles from my home point. It would be a slamdunk emergency land in daylight. But a 70' cul desac (turnaround) in pitch black using radar only was tricky. I landed, could see the pavement in the camera view with the p4's LED's so safe land! Then I started to pack up and drive the 2 miles back. That part of the story is typical!
But... Once a summer in our 'hood they have a heavy trash pickup day where you set big junk items out on your curb and they pick up. For a week people ( hooters we call them) cruise around picking thru your trash looking for scrap metal or other treasures. Our street is a deadend and on any normal night would not see a car, but this weeks been crazy. As I'm getting close I could see there was two different "hooter" cars on my street. I started to panic that they would run the p4 over w/ there car as I landed in the middle of the road!
So I sped up and passed the first car, then continued at a steady pace and passed the second "hooter" right before my deadend!
I saw the p4 landed safely in the middle of the turnaround, lights flashing. The car I passed pulled up as I was grabbing it and the lady got out to forage thru my curbside junk. She actually told me "That dont look like something you want to loose, if I pulled up and saw those lights flashing, I would be like woo-hoo!!
I'm just here to hoot!"
****! If I hadn't got there soon enough I know that P4 was goin for a car ride. Close call.
Lesson learned, never land in the street on "hooter week"!
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1468905337.866854.jpg

Also, the p4 was sitting exactly under a power line that runs to my house! I have no idea how it missed it, it must've been inches!!

Funny little anecdote. Glad it worked out.

Did you turn off the front LEDs at least?

Also, how the hell did you get 32 mins of flight and 10k distance? What mods are you using?

Reactions: Weinersnitzelz
What does "hooter"mean? Iow what is the word's etimology?

What do the "hooters" call folks like you who put the stuff on the curb?

I dont look "down on them" , if I drive by and see something I like I'll stop and throw it in my truck. I dont think there is a name for everyone who set things out. Its just a citywide program. But the people, or "hooters" who go gigging thru the stuff at midnight are usually on Meth or "tweakers" and they would not think twice about taking your drone and driving off[emoji41]

Db I hope you had something warm in your pocket or door panel.:cool: And great story. Hay I'll be in your neck of the woods next month for a wedding. Some winery ( I did not know your state had them).

Glad you didn't lose the P4.

Would like to do your battery mod one day. Maybe when the warranty is over or in a few months... but im already planning on getting the MaxxRange on my 2nd controller.

Also, the p4 was sitting exactly under a power line that runs to my house! I have no idea how it missed it, it must've been inches!!
You were born under a lucky star! I had the same apprehensions trying to get to my P4, after I had to ditch it on an island, before someone else got there first! It was a long 45 minutes in the dark! :eek: Got lucky, like you! :)

I think I might have tried to land on my own roof, or deck, since you were in the neighborhood anyway, to keep the tweakers from playing losers, finders, keepers with your P4!

You know i've landed 19 miles away and never worried about someone taking my drone in Iowa. Bit I should never land in the street!

You know i've landed 19 miles away and never worried about someone taking my drone in Iowa. Bit I should never land in the street!
Iowa schmiowa! A thief is still a thief wherever they are! Some people just help themselves to stuff they know isn't theirs, and know isn't abandoned property! :rolleyes: My uncle died in his own private plane crash in Alaska 35 years ago. :( When the wreckage was discovered a week later, scavengers had already stripped the plane of all the avionics, but never reported finding the downed plane! :eek:

Iowa schmiowa! A thief is still a thief wherever they are! Some people just help themselves to stuff they know isn't theirs, and know isn't abandoned property! :rolleyes: My uncle died in his own private plane crash in Alaska. When the wreckage was discovered a week later, scavengers had already stripped the plane of all the avionics, but never reported finding the downed plane!

WOW! Sorry for yer family, you dont expect that behavior certain places!

WOW! Sorry for yer family, you dont expect that behavior certain places!
Thanks! His crash was one of the reasons I prefer the drone experience to being in the drone/aircraft. Virtual is good enough, and a lot safer! The Alaskan hinterlands has a lot of unsavory types and lawlessness abides. It's like the hood in the wilderness.

Reactions: dirtybum

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20