Almost Gave Up.... One Man's Phantom Story.

Reaction score
I'm a professional climber and filmmaker and bought the Phantom about three weeks ago with high hopes of getting unique aerial landscape and climbing videography. You can who I am here. http://www.cedarwright.com/

I guess I'm one of those annoying camera guys who could care less about the hobby and wants sick aerial footage NOW. With zero flying experience, I did one short test flight in a field and then headed out to Eldorado State Park here in Colorado and after a couple minutes of flying, crashed the phantom into a cliff. Miraculously it survived. That evening I excitedly plugged my go pro's sd card into my card reader expecting glorious aerial cinematography. Sadly, the footage looked like absolute ****. Between the Jello, the Jitter, and my spastic flying, it was completely unusable.

After several crashes, and some forum surfing I knew that I had to isolate the camera and balance the rotors but frankly if you've surfed around a bit you know these forums are loaded with useless drivel and only the occasional nugget of useful info. I tried Moon gel in several configurations, and the footage still looked like an earthquake on acid.... no good. Finally I typed "anti-vibration camera mount" into Ebay, and found a guy from Israel selling these really ghetto looking hand made rigs... basically two pieces of aluminum with some silicone spacers glued in between. I showed a professional photographer friend the link and he said it looked ridiculous, suggested maybe it was a mistake buying the phantom. But it was thirty bucks, shipped to my door and I figured, what the hell, I'll give it a shot.

Here is what I bought:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTI-VIBRAT...=WDVW&rd=1&ih=002&category=30097&cmd=ViewItem

Using a hack saw, flexible epoxy and the existing mount that comes with the drone I incorporated the weird israeli contraption into a even more ghetto looking finished product with the necessity of duct tape to hold the camera in position. "This will never work" I thought to myself. I tested it out in a snow storm with significant wind gusts and when I got back to my office I was beside myself with Joy. I had attained the holy grail that for two weeks I had quested after to no avail... USABLE FOOTAGE!!! Could it be that this ghetto crunked piece of crap looking contraption was actually totally legit and exactly what I needed to turn the phantom into a semi pro videography machine. YES... thank you random dude from Israel. Thank you very much.

You can watch this video here on Vimeo to see a sample of the usable aerial footage that I am getting. https://vimeo.com/59956796

This is mostly a test of my new FS700 but does have several aerial clips as well. All shot ont he go pro 2 at 720 60fps and conformed to 24 fps in premiere. The footage isn't perfect, but it's pretty **** good! WOOHOOOO!!!!

Hope this helps. I can definitely say I've caught the bug and am looking forward to investing in a bigger more bad *** machine in the future. There is something surreal and awesome about flying one of these drones around.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I have been reading about the Jello effect and have seen it on YouTube.
Perhaps you might eleborate on what you had to do to get the stabilizer to mount on the Phantom.

Your video is very stable. I wonder how your camera compares with the HERO GoPro 3 Black.

I took my first flights this afternoon, and I agree that there is something quite exhilarating and fun in flying this marvelous piece of technology.

I dig your editing style and music choice. I bought that Riff Raff song and can't quit playing it!

What do you use for your editing SW?

I do a lot of fishing videos and just added a Phantom for an aerial perspective as well. I've been practicing with a a lot of different settings and angles. Can't wait to release my next project!

Please keep posting your videos. You've got mad skills...

Thanks Graphic Details!! I use Premiere.. I'm on the CS6 creative cloud...Hope the Phantom works out for you!! WOOOHOO!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20