All you knowledge

Reaction score
Since 99.99% of everyone here is probably a whole lot more knowledgeable than I am (did see someone joined after I did :)) I am not afraid to seek out smarter people. I am trying to increase a "no BS" way to fly, and assist other people interested in becoming P3 pilots. From my first post, you will see I am a new pilot, FAA registered, and have no interest in making money. I find that after 21+ years of being in the military, flying above ground level, is a lot more fun, than having walked all the terrain for so many years, as a "Grunt."

I have all the "bells and whistles," to be a better and safer pilot (Gimbal guard, safe areas, polar pro filters, etc, etc), but have so many different types of uncertainties. All the YouTube videos say do this or that, but for the non-extensive, just common "Grunt" hobbyist, which is just wanting to relax, and enjoy my P3A, it seems like I never get a, "set and leave" camera/video setting for the completed flights videos.

I read and watch how for the best quality, use JPEG/Raw for post production videos. Many also say, use Adobe Photoshop, and honestly, I would rather save the $1,000 for the Adobe package, buy more batteries, and use something else for videos. I do have the Filmora program, but someone emailed me and said it was a bunch of junk, and only use Adobe, or buy some other program.

When I have emailed YouTuber(s), it seems I get a response that says, "I also did this for post-production, had to open it up in a program, add something, and then finalize it with this one." So, with all of you much more intelligent when it comes to videos. is there a general, "set and forget setting" to give me the best quality. I understand for brighter days to change the polar pro filters, bit generally speaking, if I was standing in front of you with a brand new drone, and making my first flight alongside you, what would YOU tell me to put my settings at? Thanks again

Reactions: dirkclod
For a begging maybe just work on flight training. Practice controlling and learning the quad and it abilities.

the video production end is an animal all by itself, I record all flight begin to end and keep raw files for future use if needed.

There are many free and trial editing programs that others will recommend. The pro photo guys will offer $$$ software , the amatuers with offer lesser cost or free software.
all can do something.
many can do it all

find out with practice using the free stuff how much effort and time you are willing to put in. some of the better software is a career itself

sometimes the fun is just trying out all the different stuff and seeing what all they do /don't do!

good luck and have flying!

BTW thanks for your time and service,
if you are willing to share what unit did you travel Iraq/afgan with>

My 2 cents.... Read AND understand the operating/owners manual
Get good at flying 1st
THEN
shoot in Jpeg-Raw
manual, custom WEB
-2-3-2 on the saturation, contrast, brightness
16:9
1080p 60fps
shutter 1/120
ISO 100
Always use ND filters to get shutter to twice the frame speed
F L Y R e a l S L O W
Set yaw expo/gain at no higher than .34

Take copious amounts of video, view them, then throw them away.

As you get better and videos get better, save the footage for future project videos.

As you gain experience adjust all of the above settings to suit your style and visual ideas about video.

For a begging maybe just work on flight training. Practice controlling and learning the quad and it abilities.

the video production end is an animal all by itself, I record all flight begin to end and keep raw files for future use if needed.

There are many free and trial editing programs that others will recommend. The pro photo guys will offer $$$ software , the amatuers with offer lesser cost or free software.
all can do something.
many can do it all

find out with practice using the free stuff how much effort and time you are willing to put in. some of the better software is a career itself

sometimes the fun is just trying out all the different stuff and seeing what all they do /don't do!

good luck and have flying!

BTW thanks for your time and service,
if you are willing to share what unit did you travel Iraq/afgan with>

Thanks for the tips and encouragment. I was with the Army, 3/187INF (101st ABN), and many others. Everywhere from Camp Liberty to all points elsewhere. Was an OC at JRTC for three years, and finally retired. Nothing like the swamps and gators of Louisiana for a view to the world.

Thanks for the tips and encouragment. I was with the Army, 3/187INF (101st ABN), and many others. Everywhere from Camp Liberty to all points elsewhere. Was an OC at JRTC for three years, and finally retired. Nothing like the swamps and gators of Louisiana for a view to the world.

you were on different rotation than my son then
His first time went in as 2nd inf direct from Korea back in the beginning 03/04. most of his time that trip was Ramadi and faluja area.
second was reflagged 4ID from Carson... Bagdad Sadr city area.
I used to kid him say his CO must have darn good to keep getting the worst spots around...

I enjoyed my time at Campbell in 73/74 1/502.. Remember setting up AIRMOBILE training school and we trained class #1 and then we rotated in as class #2. got an Airmobile badge before the Army even had one..lol

thanks again and glad it worked out for you.

good luck with editing very time consuming but payoff can be neat.

My 2 cents.... Read AND understand the operating/owners manual
Get good at flying 1st
THEN
shoot in Jpeg-Raw
manual, custom WEB
-2-3-2 on the saturation, contrast, brightness
16:9
1080p 60fps
shutter 1/120
ISO 100
Always use ND filters to get shutter to twice the frame speed
F L Y R e a l S L O W
Set yaw expo/gain at no higher than .34

Take copious amounts of video, view them, then throw them away.

As you get better and videos get better, save the footage for future project videos.

As you gain experience adjust all of the above settings to suit your style and visual ideas about video.

No craziness for me when flying. Just like a day on the ski slopes when starting out - slow and easy. So appreciative of the settings and will incorporate them immediately. Thanks to all that replied, and if I had to be the "Crash test dummy," to help someone out with the same question, it was well worth it for me. Thanks again.
you were on different rotation than my son then
His first time went in as 2nd inf direct from Korea back in the beginning 03/04. most of his time that trip was Ramadi and faluja area.
second was reflagged 4ID from Carson... Bagdad Sadr city area.
I used to kid him say his CO must have darn good to keep getting the worst spots around...

I enjoyed my time at Campbell in 73/74 1/502.. Remember setting up AIRMOBILE training school and we trained class #1 and then we rotated in as class #2. got an Airmobile badge before the Army even had one..lol

thanks again and glad it worked out for you.

good luck with editing very time consuming but payoff can be neat.

Not sure when you were there last, but it sure had changed. The Air Assault School is still world class. Sometimes those rotation to the "Litter box" get to be a blur. I loved Campbell, always will, and thank you, and your son for your service as well.

I don't know jack about photography and frankly not all that interested. I just want to take pictures and videos so I can show my wife where I've been. The equivalent of those old "instamatic" cameras. The photos and vids I've taken have come out well. The production is another story, not bad, but not jaw dropping like alot of others on here. I just "film" in whatever default settings came from the factory... I have a Mac, so I just use Imovie.... So it all depends on what you seek. IMO it takes a certain "eye" that can create those awesome videos.. I don't have that...

Reactions: kirk2579
No craziness for me when flying. Just like a day on the ski slopes when starting out - slow and easy. So appreciative of the settings and will incorporate them immediately. Thanks to all that replied, and if I had to be the "Crash test dummy," to help someone out with the same question, it was well worth it for me. Thanks again.

Not sure when you were there last, but it sure had changed. The Air Assault School is still world class. Sometimes those rotation to the "Litter box" get to be a blur. I loved Campbell, always will, and thank you, and your son for your service as well.

back then there was a popular song,

with a chorus something to the effect of "driving my chevy van down highway 41" got a kick listening to that , while i was driving down us41 .... to be 17 again lol

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20