All kinds of things telling where NOT to fly. How about places I should?

Reaction score
This world is still new to me, so maybe something like this exists and I haven't found it yet. I've only got 3 flights under my belt. But I've seen so many incredible videos and I wonder how I can find spots like that. On top of that, we're headed somewhere on vacation in a month. Phantom is likely to come along. But to someone unfamiliar with the area, where should I be going to fly?

My other hobby is riding my motorcycle. There is a site called motorcycleroads.com that offers what I'm thinking about. User submitted with descriptions and other users can rate each ride, even submit pictures or videos. They are all viewable with a Google Map.

Does such a thing exist? Or should I resort to posting forum topics asking certain areas where I should go?

This world is still new to me, so maybe something like this exists and I haven't found it yet. I've only got 3 flights under my belt. But I've seen so many incredible videos and I wonder how I can find spots like that. On top of that, we're headed somewhere on vacation in a month. Phantom is likely to come along. But to someone unfamiliar with the area, where should I be going to fly?

My other hobby is riding my motorcycle. There is a site called motorcycleroads.com that offers what I'm thinking about. User submitted with descriptions and other users can rate each ride, even submit pictures or videos. They are all viewable with a Google Map.

Does such a thing exist? Or should I resort to posting forum topics asking certain areas where I should go?
Let me know when you find a site like that. With all the laws the FAA and local governments are working on. It can be a fly zone today and a No-Fly zone tomorrow. I recently went on a trip to Arizona and it seems some places have laws and others don't. But when I asked locals they were all too nice and said go for it. Just be safe. I went to downtown Phoenix and asked a police officer if I could fly my P3P around Chase stadium and he said go for since there was nobody around. I knew that flying around stadiums is a no-no for the FAA, but I asked just to see what local police would say.

I would just say for now find out as much information as you can of the area you are going to fly and fly safe. Also, since you are going on vacation. Check with that country (if flying abroad) if you are allowed to enter the country with UAV. There was a post here that stated that some countries like Brazil do not let you enter the country with one.

IIRC, the FAA restriction over stadium's is a TFR an hour before to an hour after an event there. It's about safety of the audience...if no one is there, then there is no one to keep safe. It was probably just easier to put on their do's and don'ts list to not fly near stadiums than try to give times etc. Easier just to keep people away instead of someone buzzing drunk tailgaters.

Let me know when you find a site like that. With all the laws the FAA and local governments are working on. It can be a fly zone today and a No-Fly zone tomorrow. I recently went on a trip to Arizona and it seems some places have laws and others don't. But when I asked locals they were all too nice and said go for it. Just be safe. I went to downtown Phoenix and asked a police officer if I could fly my P3P around Chase stadium and he said go for since there was nobody around. I knew that flying around stadiums is a no-no for the FAA, but I asked just to see what local police would say.

I would just say for now find out as much information as you can of the area you are going to fly and fly safe. Also, since you are going on vacation. Check with that country (if flying abroad) if you are allowed to enter the country with UAV. There was a post here that stated that some countries like Brazil do not let you enter the country with one.

Stadiums are only a NFZ when they are in use, or otherwise occupied. :cool:

Stadiums are only a NFZ when they are in use, or otherwise occupied. :cool:
**** so I lost my opportunity to do a POI over Chase Stadium. Now I know for the next time. Where can I find this information according to the FAA rules below. You are not allowed to fly near stadiums. Doesn't include any exceptions if there are people or not or am I misinterpreting their rules?

• Fly below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles
  • Keep the aircraft within visual line of sight at all times
  • Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations
  • Don't fly within 5 miles of an airport unless you contact the airport and control tower before flying
  • Don't fly near people or stadiums
  • Don't fly an aircraft that weighs more than 55 lbs
  • Don't be careless or reckless with your unmanned aircraft – you could be fined for endangering people or other aircraft

FDC 9/5151, issued under 14 CFR 99.7 on "Special Security Instructions," restricts flight over stadiums during Major League Baseball (MLB), National Football League (NFL) regular season, NCAA football, and motor speedway events. The so-called "stadium TFR" prohibits all aircraft and parachute operations at or below 3,000 AGL within a 3 nm radius of any stadium with a seating capacity of 30,000 or more people when there is an MLB game, regular or post-season NFL game, NCAA Division I football game, or major motor speedway event occurring. This TFR applies to the entire US domestic national airspace system, and takes effect from one hour before the scheduled event time until one hour after the event concludes.

Stadium TFR = temporary flight restriction (ie. when in use)

Reactions: zitrojj
FDC 9/5151, issued under 14 CFR 99.7 on "Special Security Instructions," restricts flight over stadiums during Major League Baseball (MLB), National Football League (NFL) regular season, NCAA football, and motor speedway events. The so-called "stadium TFR" prohibits all aircraft and parachute operations at or below 3,000 AGL within a 3 nm radius of any stadium with a seating capacity of 30,000 or more people when there is an MLB game, regular or post-season NFL game, NCAA Division I football game, or major motor speedway event occurring. This TFR applies to the entire US domestic national airspace system, and takes effect from one hour before the scheduled event time until one hour after the event concludes.

Stadium TFR = temporary flight restriction (ie. when in use)
This is good information to have. Thank you.

So this overrides their UAV rules? Also, I live close by to Citifiled. If you know the stadium, Laguardia is right next to it. Not even a mile. In fact Airplane fly right besides it when landing. Now wouldn't this be a violation? I am a Met fan and I attend multiple games a year and during games they do not redirect air traffic. As for post season games I attended a few and also a world series game and air traffic was not redirected either. I have gotten used to the airplane noise thru the years but when watching a concert can be annoying. I wonder if we can call the FAA out on that?

Again thanks for the information.

OK, I should have been clearer. Regulations and such aside, what I was looking for was a way to find spots that are excellent for recording footage, or taking pictures. For instance, I could go anywhere and find a park to fly in. But maybe there's a hidden gem down the road that has great scenery I wouldn't find on my own. Or there's a better spot to fly to show off some landmark where there are fewer people or a clearer home point.

So I'm not talking about the legality of the locations. For the sake of argument, they are all legal places to fly. Each location on the map recognizes a drone-safe area to fly that offers a uniqueness to it apart from just a grass field. Descriptions could also include any tips & tricks, or restrictions about the area (i.e. within 5 miles of XXX Airport). Ratings based on scenery, openness of the area, and the amount of people usually nearby.

There is an app, Drone Zone that was to serve this purpose but not many people have added sights to it. I added a few in my areas but then deleted the app.

I usually use Google Maps for areas that I will be in and then review the photos taken in the area to see what might be interesting. Won't work for you but I also ask friends if I'm not too far away from my home.

I'll also mention that sometimes I find a good place and go into ninja drone mode. That is, set up away from anyone in a quite spot. Fly in and get the footage and then land and quickly pack up before anyone knows. Sometimes that works out better given how some people think of drones. I usually do this if I know the flight is 100% legal but for some reason someone may raise a stink. For example, when flying over a building (on a Sunday when it's closed for example). It's perfectly safe and allowed but someone may not like it.

Guidelines != rules/laws

I like rivers, but trying to find a place to "put in" so to speak is tricky. Most of the places I've seen from the road would require me to pretty much park by a (small) bridge and take off from there. Then again, you see people parked there a lot to go down and fish.

Another idea, maybe, is the flylitchi web site. The mission hub has people who post public paths they've flown. However there seem to just have lots of test missions and field flights.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers