All australia phantom flyers casa proposed deregulation. BUT

Reaction score
So it looks like casa is finally on our side guys

http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?W ... =PC_102028

BUT ! yes a big but looks like the big boys from the uav industry dont like the fact us little punks with our "toys" might just get the Ok to fly for profit read this petition.

http://www.acuo.org.au/

apparently if you read between lines we are all dangerous because we don't have any idea about flying or where north is and if you plan to fly for profit we are going to rob the poor industry of their living.
So what's your take guys on this ?

Re: All australia phantom flyers casa proposed deregulation.

I hate to say it but they are right in that uas under two kilograms are increasingly involved in incidents with full sized aircraft. I personally welcome deregulation. I am however sceptical in the way it may be implemented. How for instance can CASA try to mitigate any risk real or perceived by the public or vested interests such as that UAS certified pilots group.

There was always going to be a increase in incidents when your selling nearly 1000 under 2kg uavs nationwide weekly.
I would love to see an easier way for us to make some profit with our phantoms what I don't like to see is the hypocrisy of a so called industry talking crap that because we have phantoms we are all kids with flying toys. Read these forums there are some very skilled and experienced people on here flying phantoms. Funny thing is the incident about the triathlon was caused by a registered casa approved operators flying a octocopter above a athlete heads ... They need to check there facts before branding us with the phantom brush. And say sign a petition to shut us up... my 2cents

As I understand it this proposed change will do away with the requirement for the commercial operation of a UAV less than 2kg to hold an OC license. The OC license is somewhat overkill for the operator of a small UAV as it really aimed at the commercial pilot of full sized aircraft and cost around the $5-$8k.

I believe that to carry out commercial operations with a small UAV you will still have to obtain an RPAS License which still costs between $2-$3k. To gain this license it will requires a knowledge of basic aeronautical rules, regulations, meteorology, safety and the like. This should provide for safe operation of commercial UAV operators. Obviously this has no bearing on how hobbyist and non commercial operators fly their UVA's so the change will have little or no effect on curtailing the "idiot factor" such as occurred with the triathlon.

Ozzyguy said:
I hate to say it but they are right in that uas under two kilograms are increasingly involved in incidents with full sized aircraft. I personally welcome deregulation. I am however sceptical in the way it may be implemented. How for instance can CASA try to mitigate any risk real or perceived by the public or vested interests such as that UAS certified pilots group.

Most of the reported incidences didn't happen.

Most of the reported incidences didn't happen.[/quote]

Yes correct scare mongering from the big boys in the industry ..
I can come at spending 2-3k to be legal you can make that back easy but you can see where these big operators are trying to protect there over priced 10-20k licences how many real estate jobs at $100 a pop is it going to take to make your money back ( just using this a example)

A big difference between our Phantoms (Particularly the P2V+) and commercial UAVs... We are unable to zoom the camera for a start.
Perhaps they're cranky because we can stay in the air 20mins, whereas a commercial copter loaded with photographic equipment can only stay aloft 5-6min lol

I really hope CASA relax a bit on using it for commercial use. The thing is the Phantoms won't take jobs off the professional guys.
The professional jobs require cameras that the phantoms are unable to carry anyway (Blackmagic Pocket Camera etc) The jobs we may be able to take are the super low budget ($100 - $1000) jobs that couldn't afford to hire the pros anyway.

They should have a simple registration for us to register our names or company to be able to use these commercially. The guys who know how to fly can make a little money for the small jobs and if someone sells a video where they have broken the rules then they should be removed from the list. Name not on the list, shouldn't be able to shoot commercially.

Joel_t said:
I really hope CASA relax a bit on using it for commercial use. The thing is the Phantoms won't take jobs off the professional guys.
The professional jobs require cameras that the phantoms are unable to carry anyway (Blackmagic Pocket Camera etc) The jobs we may be able to take are the super low budget ($100 - $1000) jobs that couldn't afford to hire the pros anyway.

They should have a simple registration for us to register our names or company to be able to use these commercially. The guys who know how to fly can make a little money for the small jobs and if someone sells a video where they have broken the rules then they should be removed from the list. Name not on the list, shouldn't be able to shoot commercially.

Yep I agree some sort of registration to help us get insurance or what not the only reason I'm upset with all this is because I shoot video's mainly mtb down hill and would love to incorporate aerial vision with out being prosecuted or dobbed on if I choose to get paid or not. Im in the bush my riders are more likely to hurt themselves rather then my little plastic flying toy hurt them.

Wow these guys are a piece of work .
Read this proposal quoted on there Web site

3. That the penalties for illegal UAV operations should include:  Increased fines representative of the sort of money they are earning from their illegal activities [ie thousands of dollars, not hundreds] and this should increase exponentially with subsequent prosecutions.  Automatic confiscation of UAV equipment and if necessary, CASA sell or auction the confiscated equipment to offset the costs of enforcement.  An automatic 12 month ban on applying for a UAV certificate or licence after a successful prosecution for illegal UAV operations.

Let's hope these guys do not get power to make laws. :eek:

hotstink626 said:
Wow these guys are a piece of work .
Read this proposal quoted on there Web site

3. That the penalties for illegal UAV operations should include:  Increased fines representative of the sort of money they are earning from their illegal activities [ie thousands of dollars, not hundreds] and this should increase exponentially with subsequent prosecutions.  Automatic confiscation of UAV equipment and if necessary, CASA sell or auction the confiscated equipment to offset the costs of enforcement.  An automatic 12 month ban on applying for a UAV certificate or licence after a successful prosecution for illegal UAV operations.

Let's hope these guys do not get power to make laws. :eek:

What a bunch of dickheads. A complete over reaction but I don't think that will be taken seriously. Way too extreme for this.

In all honesty there is no need to have such a strong knowledge of aviation to fly these safely. It's just crazy all the things you have to go through at the moment to get paid for a video. Just learn the basics (400ft limit, line of sight, 30m from buildings, people etc, don't take off in crazy winds) and you should be able to fly and get paid. It's the idiots who don't even read these things that are doing the stupid stuff and just flying as high and far as they can that are causing the damage so how is having such strict laws for us who are trying to do the right thing going to help anybody?

You guys see the post re the FAA being over ruled by a US judge? They tried to prosecute an unlicensed operator for accepting money for some filming he did. The judge ruled the "commercial use" law was meant for aircraft, and not MODEL aircraft. Interesting for us, as CASA has applied the rule in a similar fashion.

CASA anticipated that the licensed operators would be unhappy and mentioned this in their suggested revision.
I didn't imagine just how unhappy.
They want all (not just commercial) fliers of small quads to complete expensive courses and registration and carry logbooks.
They recommend a system of heavy penalties but stopped short of offering to run search and destroy missions on behalf of CASA to wipe out the scourge of small quadcopters threatening the society's safety.

It's so overblown it would be funny if it wasn't serious.
The genie is out of the bottle and ACUO's retrograde suggestions are unlikely to have any affect upon fliers that are likely to break the rules.
The whole idea that you need to do $8000 of training to put a flying camera up at treetop height for real estate photography and that it is an aviation safety issue is complete nonsense - and CASA seem to have realised it. Their own safety experts have made a professional assessment and deemed sub-2kg machines to present a low risk.

ACUO make the following recommendations to CASA RPAS regulations under NPRM1309OS and stand ready to assist CASA in the administration of the small RPAS sector of unmanned aviation:

a) That all RPAS of all types & sizes [above a Micro RPAS] should be subject to certification & licencing, including the sub-2kg category and a new category of ‘Recreational RPAS’.
b) As a minimum, sub-2kg & ‘Recreational RPAS’ owners/pilots be required to pass a Basic Aeronautical Knowledge (BAK) theory exam [and provide documentary evidence of same for formal registration]
i. This would only apply to sport & recreational use of RPAS but would ensure that (from the novice level
upward) all RPAS pilots at least understand the essential airspace rules, aviation regulations & the
dangers associated with flying in unauthorized areas and airspace

ii. If the standard BAK is not considered suitable, ACUO believe the SCC Working Group could develop a
specific RPAS Basic Aeronautical Knowledge (RPAS-BAK) syllabus with CASA, and have this available
nationally within a very short period of time [3-4 months]

iii. All other RPAS activities would require a UAV Controller Certificate, or a Remote Pilot Licence-Level 1
for the Pilots, and if operating commercially for Hire & Reward, a UAV Operator Certificate for the
business entity as well [no exemptions or exceptions]

c) All ‘Recreational RPAS’ owners/pilots in Australia be registered annually with CASA [or a CASA delegated administrative authority]

d) All ‘Recreational RPAS’ owners/pilots be required to maintain a log-book of all flights including Date, Time & Location. (And be required to carry both Log-Book & Registration at all times whilst flying)

What a load of ****! Watch out because if they have their way your child wont even be able to fold a paper plane.
I know a bloke who made a 5 foot long aluminium kite and had the airport authorities come and demand that he stop flying it. What are these proposals going to do to stop morons like this? The answer as mentioned is nothing. Remember also that there are retailers who stand to lose a lot of money if such rules were to bought into place. Since the amount of money these retailers will lose is greater than what this group stands to lose if not implemented i am doubtful they will go ahead.

What's funny about the proposal to take and sell your quad who do they think they are going to sell them to kids in China ?

There is no real profits in the industry, the big guys only get hired 1 day on film sets to knock off all the shots the production need because the prices are to over inflated due to the price of there licence. Casa needs to be realistic through all parts of the industry. The operators are just trying to protect their investments in licensing. But no matter what the guys that can fly good and have camera's with larger dynamic range and 4k imaging with camera's such as the GH4, are in a different market and price bracket and don't need. Its the guys that don't have the skill but have the gear and licence that are worried. Same thing is happening in still photography.

OK we've seen the submission from ACUO (the licensed operators) but there is also a submission putting forward the case for operation of small machines and we can all get behind it to show the alternative to ACUO's position.

Read about it here - and sign up if you agree.
http://www.change.org/en-AU/petitions/c ... e_petition

You can get a gun licence, drivers licence or boat licence in a similar way with little or no training and these possess a much higher risk to members of the general public. It is essential that these regulations are accepted by the majority of small RPA pilots who wish to operate commercially

Love it :D

60 Minutes drone article about to start.

Edit: Well, could have been worse........ :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic