Airport

Reaction score
How far away do you have to be from a airport.

Anybody know the radius in miles.

uk has different rules

Your DJI go app should show if it's safe to fly.

So I take that DJI feels the people that buy their products are unable to make sensible decisions on their own. Maybe the car makers should limit their vehicles to the speed limits.

So I live close to an airport, my app shows me in the green and I am much less than 5 miles away. In fact the red area on the app basically only covers the runways themselves.

So I take that DJI feels the people that buy their products are unable to make sensible decisions on their own. Maybe the car makers should limit their vehicles to the speed limits.
Indeed not every customer made sensible decisions, unfortunately.

Reactions: Matt W Ruff
So I live close to an airport, my app shows me in the green and I am much less than 5 miles away. In fact the red area on the app basically only covers the runways themselves.

The app helps, but common sense needs to be a factor also.. From my own personal experience I was going to fly in a few locations across town while visiting my Wifes family, who all live very near a smaller regional airport.
After contacting the control tower and chatting with them about my flights, I found that.

A - In one location, off to the side from any approach, but closer to the airport the DJI app wouldn't let me get above 40 feet. To be fair, I was only barely outside the red circle so this wasn't a huge surprise.

B - The real surprise came at another location on the other side of the airport, where I'd have never even attempted to fly as it's on an approach path to the runway and CONSTANTLY has small planes buzzing the treetops overhead.. Here the DJI app showed me easily outside of the red circle, and would have let me fly anywhere I wanted. I only checked out of curiosity, I'd have been scared to fly there due to all of the small plane traffic. :) But it sure would have let me do it.

You'd be 100% correct on your first statement... but that is still not the point. By having DJI put in _safe guards_ against _100% illegal flights_ it keeps people from making much more strict regulations against everyone.

Vehicle manufactures do put in limiters on vehicles but it's based on the speed rating of the tire. It's done to avoid liability against damages.. not speeding. Same with DJI. They are not overly concerned how people use the drone as long as it does not adversely affect DJI.

Limiting flight near an airport also helps every flier in other ways. There are a lot of smaller airports and if you don't know the area very well, you might not know there is one 1, 2 o5 miles away. Getting a warning from the app can help you know this.

Reactions: Falcon900
Since the day a Phantom crashed on the White House lawn, yes. That's correct.

Welcome to the site!
:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
Yeah, good point!
I still remember the pictures of that P2 (I believe it was a P2...) shot down by a rifle...

You'd be 100% correct on your first statement... but that is still not the point. By having DJI put in _safe guards_ against _100% illegal flights_ it keeps people from making much more strict regulations against everyone.

Vehicle manufactures do put in limiters on vehicles but it's based on the speed rating of the tire. It's done to avoid liability against damages.. not speeding. Same with DJI. They are not overly concerned how people use the drone as long as it does not adversely affect DJI.

Limiting flight near an airport also helps every flier in other ways. There are a lot of smaller airports and if you don't know the area very well, you might not know there is one 1, 2 o5 miles away. Getting a warning from the app can help you know this.

As a certified part 61 pilot I know FAA airspace regs. I still don't accept your argument that DJI should make our decisions. This just reminds me too much of the nanny state, where the state regulates all we do, including speech, eating, etc. I do respect your opinion, even if it is skewed. I see the day of even more restrictions, whereby all operators will need to be certified by the FAA, hobbyists included.

As a certified part 61 pilot I know FAA airspace regs. I still don't accept your argument that DJI should make our decisions. This just reminds me too much of the nanny state, where the state regulates all we do, including speech, eating, etc. I do respect your opinion, even if it is skewed. I see the day of even more restrictions, whereby all operators will need to be certified by the FAA, hobbyists included.

Question, how does DJI's current actions (GEO) affect your flying in anyway?

I respect your opinion too and I see your point. But think about this:

To become a manned aircraft pilot normally requires some degree of competence in self and also usually success in life, which would bring a fair amount of responsibility and maturity. OTOH, any imbecile with a few hundred bucks can purchase and launch an unmanned aircraft, registered or unregistered, and fly it anywhere he wants, including in front of international airport runways, sensitive government areas, etc. I respect DJI's decision to govern their aircrafts' flying areas, even if it somewhat encumbers most of their customers.

I respect your opinion too and I see your point. But think about this:

To become a manned aircraft pilot normally requires some degree of competence in self and also usually success in life, which would bring a fair amount of responsibility and maturity. OTOH, any imbecile with a few hundred bucks can purchase and launch an unmanned aircraft, registered or unregistered, and fly it anywhere he wants, including in front of international airport runways, sensitive government areas, etc. I respect DJI's decision to govern their aircrafts' flying areas, even if it somewhat encumbers most of their customers.
True, but any imbecile can buy a car, a gun, a knife, a bus, a tractor trailer. All can be lethal.

Reactions: xmetienne

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers