Airport security

Reaction score
What's the script with taking your drone through airport security in UK(or anywhere else)?

Anyone done this?

Just got a (pro flight?) backpack although not transferred from the DJI case yet.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G935F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Good question...
I will take my drone from France to the USA in May, I hope I will have no problems.
First question, in the hold or in accompanied luggage ?
Batteries with me I suppose.

Depends on the airline, Singapore airlines allows you to take two P4 batteries on board, one in the drone, one in a lipo bag and as long as the backpack fits in the overhead locker, no problems.

Doubt my bag will fit in overhead - short flight from Scotland to Ireland. I've seen people will bags that don't fit overhead in under their seat in the past.

Good shout about the batteries. I have 3...

I presume they can't go in hold luggage due to lack of pressurisation?

Required to take laptops out of bag at airport...Any ideas about a drone controller etc?

I think your best course of action is to talk to the flight operator as it is their ultimate decision where and how your equipment will be stowed.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Doubt my bag will fit in overhead - short flight from Scotland to Ireland. I've seen people will bags that don't fit overhead in under their seat in the past.

Good shout about the batteries. I have 3...

I presume they can't go in hold luggage due to lack of pressurisation?

Required to take laptops out of bag at airport...Any ideas about a drone controller etc?

United airlines :
Bagage à main
photo_suitcase_size.jpg

Les dimensions maximales autorisées de votre bagage à main sont de 22 x 35 x 56 cm (9 x 14 x 22 pouces), poignées et roues comprises.

I follow some YouTube vloggers who routinely travel all over the world and they always have a P4 with them so I imagine airport security is very familiar with them by now.

I have taken my P3 & 2 battery's to 3 different countries no problem traveling out the UK. Once I was asked to remove the battery from the quad that is all

I have a padded backpack which use every time that I got from Amazon

I traveled to Mexico last year with my Blade Chroma. It breaks down into several pieces and I put them in different bags. The batteries were stored separately in carry on with electrical tape over the connector. The charger had electrical tape on it's connectors as well. I had zero issues, other than one elderly TSA "agent" asking what it was. Her stupidvisor looked at it and said "it's just a drone" and that was it. Curiously enough, on the way back through Mexican Customs, the agent didn't know what our GoPro was lol.

Last edited:
I traveled several times with my Phantom, in Europe and the US. Never had an issue. I was surprised I was asked to pull out laptops, cameras, but nobody ever looked at or open the drone backpack.

Still, to be prepared, I always check out and print the airline policy regarding lithium batteries and carry-on luggage. The DJI battery clearly display the capacity (81.3Wh for the regular P4 battery). http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/DJI-Phantom-4-12-980x653.jpg
Keep the drone and batteries as carry-on, and for good measure, put a piece of electrical tape on the connector and have some LiPo safety bag. Just in case they ask.
http://cdn.rcmart.com/images/yrac_lipobag_003.jpg

But again, never had any issue.

Language from United Airlines web site:

Lithium batteries
Personal devices (except for e-cigarettes and personal vaporizers) installed with a lithium battery of less than 100 watt hours are permitted in carry-on and checked baggage. Loose lithium batteries are not permitted in checked baggage on any United flight. Each spare lithium battery in carry-on baggage must be individually protected to prevent short circuits. To do this, you can place each battery in original retail packaging, place each battery in a separate plastic bag or protective pouch, or insulate the batteries by taping over exposed terminals. Spare batteries must not come in contact with metal objects, such as coins, keys or jewelry, and you should take steps to prevent crushing, puncturing, or putting pressure on the battery.

In most cases, up to two larger lithium batteries (more than 100 watt hours, but not exceeding 160 watt hours) are permitted in carry-on baggage if the terminals are properly covered or insulated. If you are traveling with a battery-operated mobility device, please see our Special Travel Needs section.

Lithium battery policy for Air France
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B10IxCo1OgZ4OUthNFY0UDlIazA

Good luck,

Remy

Reactions: eljano and d4niven
The batteries were stored separately in checked baggage with electrical tape over the connector.
This is WRONG! You should NEVER NEVER put LiPo batteries in checked bags. LiPo batteries can go bad, regardless of tape protecting the terminals. It's very rare, but they can go bad and catch fire at any time from internal shorts. If they are in the overhead carry-on compartment (where they are suppose to be), the passengers will notice the smoke right away and the fire can be put out without having to put passengers at risk. If this happens in the cargo area where check bags are kept, nobody can access the batteries, a fire will grow, passengers may smell a little smoke and hopefully the plane is near an airport to land quickly. Sensors will warn the pilot of smoke in the hold, but there may not be enough time to land, putting passengers at great risk.

Although the above LiPo scenario can happen, airlines do allow products with LiPo and Li-Ion batteries installed in the item, such as laptops & phones, but all non-installed batteries must be carried on. After seeing what Li-Po batteries can do, and how quick it happens, I think this policy should change to require all LiPo batteries to be carried on, even installed batteries in Laptops and Phones, etc. But that's just me.

This is WRONG! You should NEVER NEVER put LiPo batteries in checked bags. LiPo batteries can go bad, regardless of tape protecting the terminals. It's very rare, but they can go bad and catch fire at any time from internal shorts. If they are in the overhead carry-on compartment (where they are suppose to be), the passengers will notice the smoke right away and the fire can be put out without having to put passengers at risk. If this happens in the cargo area where check bags are kept, nobody can access the batteries, a fire will grow, passengers may smell a little smoke and hopefully the plane is near an airport to land quickly. Sensors will warn the pilot of smoke in the hold, but there may not be enough time to land, putting passengers at great risk.

Although the above LiPo scenario can happen, airlines do allow products with LiPo and Li-Ion batteries installed in the item, such as laptops & phones, but all non-installed batteries must be carried on. After seeing what Li-Po batteries can do, and how quick it happens, I think this policy should change to require all LiPo batteries to be carried on, even installed batteries in Laptops and Phones, etc. But that's just me.

Yes, I was wrong about how I loaded the bags. The battery was in my backpack stowed above my head.

Relax fellas, I corrected my mistake above.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20