Airport notification definition?

Reaction score
Seems obvious but I'm a little confused. There is a small dirt unman no tower etc. runway where small private plans land and take off occasionally so I'm told about two miles from my home. I fly my drone at tree level on my own property.

The faa says I'm to notify an airport within 5 miles of my location regarding flying my drone. But is this classified as an airport per the faa and who would I notify as its a private dirt runway I guess owned by the few houses the back up to it??

Thanks jim

According to the FAA:

(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport)).

I'm also within 5 miles of an airport with no tower, and with restricted approach and departure routes. Where I fly the only potential issue is a missed approach, and even that is tenuous. I just monitor the Unicom frequency, which I regard as constituting 2-way comms with any relevant traffic. Does your local field have a Unicom frequency?

Gosh I will ask I think it does. I only fly on my property tree level 70 feet the runway is two miles east of my property and three miles south. I have no issue notifying anyone just don't know where to start. The radio is a great idea can pick up and hit for a few bucks and listen in. I live on 100 acres rural area and have no need to fly off my property. But was surprised the find there was this landing strip there when I used the app. I appreciate your help.

From your description of the runway, you should be good to go. If you know the address or name of the airport, you can google the identifier # for it. With that you can see if it is manned or not. There is a member here , CaptainMileHIgh I believe, who can give you definite info if you give him the identifier #.

I have a similar situation where I live. I'm inside the 5 mile radius of a small unmanned airport used mainly for crop dusters and I'm not required to notify them. I spoke with the owner of the property who assured me he didn't want me to call every time I flew.

Check out UAVforecast, for android anyway, not sure about that other stuff. I've found that the majority of the airports in my area defined on that app as small airports, showing up as green circles, aren't manned and don't require notification. May be just coincidence or my location, but so far, every 'small airport' I've tried to contact wasn't necessary.

My above post is of course assuming you avoid any manned aircraft operation and a plethora of other FAA rules and regs. I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

Gosh I will ask I think it does. I only fly on my property tree level 70 feet the runway is two miles east of my property and three miles south. I have no issue notifying anyone just don't know where to start. The radio is a great idea can pick up and hit for a few bucks and listen in. I live on 100 acres rural area and have no need to fly off my property. But was surprised the find there was this landing strip there when I used the app. I appreciate your help.

Also check the VFR sectional for your area - I suspect that you are in Class G airspace so your only concern is approach and departure traffic. If you are not on the extended runway line then you are likely just fine.

Reactions: Codabass
Sounds good, I am going to this little dirt runway and knock on a few doors and see if I can find someone to call when I fly my p3p. Funny I never knew this runway even existed...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31