Airport/heliports

Reaction score
I was thinking of getting a drone,but noticed on the B4UFLY app that there were tooooo many airports/heliports,and looked and saw hospital and buisness heliports would I need to call them too if I wanted to fly my drone or only the airport.

Call and notify heliports. Likely they will give you blanket permission and ask you not to call with each flight. This has been my experience.

FAA advises not to contact the tower. Instead they ask you use their portal to request permissions, in the form of waivers.

Where, in relation to the airport will you be flying? Outside of a five mile radius? What airport is it? You might enjoy looking it up on VFRMAP - Digital Aeronautical Charts.

FAA advises not to contact the tower. Instead they ask you use their portal to request permissions, in the form of waivers.

Where, in relation to the airport will you be flying? Outside of a five mile radius? What airport is it? You might enjoy looking it up on VFRMAP - Digital Aeronautical Charts.
That's only true for Part 107 pilots. The OP is nowhere ready for that yet. Hobby flyers still contact the airport and, if there is one, the tower for any airport or heliport within 5 miles of where he is flying.

Reactions: Falcon900
what link should i use to go to the website in which i can get permission
You don't!!!! As a hobby flyer, you call airports/towers and heliports directly to "notify" them. You are not asking for permission.

You don't!!!! As a hobby flyer, you call airports/towers and heliports directly to "notify" them. You are not asking for permission.

The B4UFly App does not say anything about notifying heliports. My app only says notify the airport because It's 2.5 miles from where I am flying. Remember, the FAA MADE THIS APP

So when I look at it it says airports within 5 miles and airports with restriction.I should just call airports with restrictions right.Because it says heliports only in the air ports in 5 mile radius

So when I look at it it says airports within 5 miles and airports with restriction.I should just call airports with restrictions right.Because it says heliports only in the air ports in 5 mile radius
I am not familiar with airport restrictions. Maybe someone can weigh in on this that has more expert advice.

As a hobby flyer, you are to contact any airport/heliport and control tower within 5 miles of where you are flying to notify (not ask permission) them that you will be flying. Usually give them name, contact number, where and when you will be flying. That is all that is required. Tha applies to any airport except some of the biggest and busiest which are Class B. FAA wants everyone to go through the online request process before flying around those airports. In general, airports don't have restrictions, but controlled airspace around them (not all airports have controlled airspace). As described above, that's not an issue for hobby flying. If/when you get your Part107, and you are a long way from thinking about that right now, things are handles differently. Which you would learn about as part of your studying for the Part 107 test. You might want to look at other apps such as Airmap to help you locate and identify any airports around you.

Since I was within 1 mile of the airport, I was unable to fly without getting a unlock code token from Phantom. I called the tower prior to receive permission to do fly in that location. The token was only good for 24 hours.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues