Airnest for P4

Reaction score
Admin please move topic if it has already been created.

Hey guys...I bought Airnest and gave it a quick test run today!! I LOVE it!! Home

1 Pretty intuitive. Simple GUI without too much clutter.

2 Easy to use - I like that you can just draw with your fingers although perhaps using a tablet pen would be better for those with fat fingers:p

This app is a godsend to noobs and makes folks like me look like heroes. I would have had to clock years of piloting experience to produce the shots I did in the short time I tested this app.

Having said that though, these are my comments/suggestions which I shared with Airnest via Facebook:

1 App crashed a few times. I tried restarting it but no success. Checked to make sure no other apps were running in the background (none). Tried various other methods and one work around that did work was starting it up and connecting the P4 with DJI GO first. Making sure everything is ok ,then shutting down DJI GO and start Airnest.

2 Video/photo - this does not save to my ipad/iphone, only SD card. Would be good if Airnest featured this and if they did, to have it in at least the same resolutions as DJI GO or better.

3 Increase radius range. Please increase this. I was not even trying to fly like a mile out and back. Definitely within sight maybe about 700 metres out and back? Also it would be good to know what they limits are after plotting it instead of only discovering this after uploading and executing the flight.

4 Perhaps developers also give some thought to include multiple points of interest pin drops

5 Tutorials should be updated to include P4. eg P4 does not have F mode. In general I find the available video tutorial good as a quick start but it does not cover all of your different modes/features in enough detail.

Oh one other question...how do I use the P4 simulator with Airnest?

OK first off...I am just a user like most and dont belong to any camps. So I am not here to tell anybody why an app is better than another aside from my own needs. If you can agree with that...read on.

I read from another P4 owner who tried both Airnest and Litchi and one thing stood out from his sharing...Litchi disables obstacle avoidance in waypoint mode (or whatever it is called).

But for me the key reason I went with this as opposed to Litchi or even Autopilot (which I understand offers far more features and is more powerful) ..is the simplicity and ease of use. I just literally use my fingers, plot out a path that is clear and easy to understand, punch in height, speed, point of interests when prompted...and I am good to go.

OK first off...I am just a user like most and dont belong to any camps. So I am not here to tell anybody why an app is better than another aside from my own needs. If you can agree with that...read on.

I read from another P4 owner who tried both Airnest and Litchi and one thing stood out from his sharing...Litchi disables obstacle avoidance in waypoint mode (or whatever it is called).

But for me the key reason I went with this as opposed to Litchi or even Autopilot (which I understand offers far more features and is more powerful) ..is the simplicity and ease of use. I just literally use my fingers, plot out a path that is clear and easy to understand, punch in height, speed, point of interests when prompted...and I am good to go.

Wasn't meant to be offensive.... Just curious on comparisons from users who have used both. I have Litchi and unless this new app has something great to offer that Litchi doesn't, I don't see myself spending another 20 doll hairs on it.

P.S: I think OP is affiliated with the app.

No worries. :p Who is OP? Litchi would have been my choice if not for the reasons I stated above. For me autopilot is way too complex...I'm just not as good with these things.

Wasn't meant to be offensive.... Just curious on comparisons from users who have used both. I have Litchi and unless this new app has something great to offer that Litchi doesn't, I don't see myself spending another 20 doll hairs on it.

P.S: I think OP is affiliated with the app.

LOL I think you are giving me way more credit than I deserve so I will take that as a compliment of sorts:p!!! I would have thought that anyone reading my post would be able to discern a genuine user post vs one with hidden agendas. Not sure how or why I should prove myself otherwise too.

There is no obstacle avoidance in Litchi while in WP mode.

Can anyone confirm Litchi disables OA?
Litchi does not disable obstacle avoidance. When we tested it, it did not work in waypoint mode even though we had OA enabled, but that was a few firmwares ago. It's possible that now it does work as we had at least one user say it does.

Reactions: Styler Wang
OP is not affiliated with the developers, though the praise is nice :p

In my testing obstacle avoidance does work in waypoint missions. However, you don't want to rely on it. It only works when the drone is pointing forward and I tested it while doing a 4 MPH waypoint mission. I am kind of reluctant to try it any faster. FYI we had to specifically turned obstacle avoidance on in the code.

I'll do some more testing on it and see if I can post a video. So no need for anyone to run out and risk their drone.

In my testing obstacle avoidance does work in waypoint missions. However, you don't want to rely on it. It only works when the drone is pointing forward and I tested it while doing a 4 MPH waypoint mission. I am kind of reluctant to try it any faster. FYI we had to specifically turned obstacle avoidance on in the code.

I'll do some more testing on it and see if I can post a video. So no need for anyone to run out and risk their drone.

Thanks for the acquittal Justin! My honor is redeemed!:p On this note I was also thinking that if the path was, for example, a circular one with a point of interest in the center, and there was an obstacle in its path, it would likely not be able to avoid it as the P4 would be facing at the POI instead of forward. Is my understanding correct?

Also if my elevation settings are incorrectly set too low, say on a path that is ascending up a incline, would the obstacle avoidance kick in so that the P4 will raise itself and not hit the ground?

Btw here is the clip I made from my first test yesterday with Airnest
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Do you have a good write up on features to compare against Litchi? Ever think of working together with the creators of Litchi to make something good together instead of duplicating software?

Thanks for the acquittal Justin! My honor is redeemed!:p On this note I was also thinking that if the path was, for example, a circular one with a point of interest in the center, and there was an obstacle in its path, it would likely not be able to avoid it as the P4 would be facing at the POI instead of forward. Is my understanding correct?
Also if my elevation settings are incorrectly set too low, say on a path that is ascending up a incline, would the obstacle avoidance kick in so that the P4 will raise itself and not hit the ground?
Btw here is the clip I made from my first test yesterday with Airnest
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You are correct that if you are using a point interest in the app and the drone is not flying forward than the obstacle avoidance will not save you. Additionally in Airnest the obstacle avoidance is set to just stop and hover. There is a method where we can make it go over an object, however I hesitate to do this. The reason being is that if you fly under the canopy of a tree and the drone stops then tries to go over the object it will run right into the leaves and branches above it. We may add this as a setting option later but currently we have it set to just pause.

You are correct that if you are using a point interest in the app and the drone is not flying forward than the obstacle avoidance will not save you. Additionally in Airnest the obstacle avoidance is set to just stop and hover. There is a method where we can make it go over an object, however I hesitate to do this. The reason being is that if you fly under the canopy of a tree and the drone stops then tries to go over the object it will run right into the leaves and branches above it. We may add this as a setting option later but currently we have it set to just pause.
Ok I understand. Yes it will be good to enable fly around/above obstacle as an option thanks

Just bought the AirNest app. While I understand Litchi and Autopilot are much more full featured, for 5.99 I just turned my Phantom into a steady/cable cam. I was able to learn how to use AirNest and flew a mission in 30 minutes after watching a few tutorials. Simple. Intuitive. Precise. Gotta say thank you to the developer. If you have been wanting a third party app that doesn't cost a few weeks of learning, or a boatload of coin, AirNest is the way to go.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers