AIRMAP rules

Reaction score
I just downloaded the AIRMAP app and I gave it a simulated requested flight. At the end there is a section which in this case I selected "Rules that I am following". One of those stated rules was "I will not fly at night". I'm here in the states and my recreational flight was inside Class G airspace. My question is this: Did I miss something? I thought that flying at night was allowed.

Last edited:
If you fly as a hobbyist you can fly at night as long as you have lighting that can be seen up to 3 miles. I have been flying for 3 years and I always fly at night. It's a lot easier to maintain vlos.

Reactions: CPO Coastie
According to Airmap, as a reminder, you can only fly in the daytime. Also, unless I misinterpreted the FAA's new rules, it stated the same. Please tell me I'm wrong, I am not the sharpest tool in the shed.

According to Airmap, as a reminder, you can only fly in the daytime
Airmap doesn't make the rules. The FAA does. You'd be less confused if you followed the FAA's rules here.

Reactions: DroneB
According to Airmap, as a reminder, you can only fly in the daytime. Also, unless I misinterpreted the FAA's new rules, it stated the same. Please tell me I'm wrong, I am not the sharpest tool in the shed.
Check post #4 out by Moss Photography

I know that, I'm a Air Traffic Controller. Thank you.

Technically, Congress makes the rules... ?I’ve never seen where hobbyist can’t fly at night.

How about this case scenario: I’m a 107 pilot, filming a commercial interior 360 tour with my DJI spark, In a no fly zone 1000’ from class D airport, at 10pm... do I need to notify ATC? I’m flying inside a house..... AirMap would not give permission. I fly because the ATC does not regulate the “airspace” inside a house...

do I need to notify ATC?
No. The FAA does not regulates indoor flights.

And you should never notify the ATC in other cases. You should be using LAANC to request FAA authorization before flying outdoors in controlled airspace. If you cannot authorize via LAANC, then you need to submit a request in the FAA Drone Zone.

If you fly as a hobbyist you can fly at night as long as you have lighting that can be seen up to 3 miles. I have been flying for 3 years and I always fly at night. It's a lot easier to maintain vlos.
Can you please tell me where it says that?

Last edited:
Technically, Congress makes the rules... ?I’ve never seen where hobbyist can’t fly at night.

How about this case scenario: I’m a 107 pilot, filming a commercial interior 360 tour with my DJI spark, In a no fly zone 1000’ from class D airport, at 10pm... do I need to notify ATC? I’m flying inside a house..... AirMap would not give permission. I fly because the ATC does not regulate the “airspace” inside a house...
This is for 107 but still says the FAA only controls the NAS which is navigation able airspace
Oh, ok, thank you.

No. The FAA does not regulates indoor flights.

And you should never notify the ATC in other cases. You should be using LAANC to request FAA authorization before flying outdoors in controlled airspace. If you cannot authorize via LAANC, then you need to submit a request in the FAA Drone Zone.

Yes I use LAANC, thanks

920D3C17-ED4A-4DFF-973A-D098F5CDFC77.png

Heck I even change up the LAANC I use if I’m feeling ornery lol
3A1DEFC7-4061-4C97-A71E-63DC46E5B485.png

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20