Airbrushed my P3S for the heck of it

Reaction score
I went out and pick up a set of prop guards yesterday. Once I got home I had the desire to make it her more visible while flying LOS. There's a few nicks and scrapes from 3 previous crashes (luckly none of them were above 6' of the ground) but I think she looks alright. Debating on making the body black and the legs bright orange any suggestions?
P.s.
I didn't paint the retro rafique(lion king baboon) down there my chick is a wiz with a paint brush.

Attachments

• 1467580847038.jpg
    1467580847038.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 558
Reactions: TXDrone
Did the paint interfere with GPS or wifi at all? I thought about painting mine but wasnt sure. Looks good btw!!!

Looks awesome, love the multicolor. I feel like going black would attract way too much heat.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Aloha e komo mai. I used an actual airbrush not a can of spray paint, so the layer on there is very thin. I didn't have any negative results from painting the guards or props. I got really lucky and only had to wash and repaint one prop when I over sprayed a bit. I haven't painted the airframe yet mainly because I don't know for a fact that it won't interfere. I really don't want to have a cool looking drone that flys no better than a hammer. Once I do a bit of more research on the gps, and controller signals I may commit and spray her up. She is WAY more visible even at the 400' mark. Orientation is much more intuitive as well. Mahalo for the replies everyone

* However, the P3S is noticably less responsive and slower in general with the added guards painted or not

Looks awesome, love the multicolor. I feel like going black would attract way too much heat.

I thought about the same thing, but the 3DR Solo is black and I haven't really heard of any over heating issues with the craft. The air flow from the props should be sufficeint yeah?

I added color to mine to increase visibility by using RIT dye. I made the back prop guards black and did 2 sets of props....4 in yellow and 4 in black.

Reactions: Donkeyfresco
I seriously didn't think about using dye. My gf is away with family, so I only had my dumb brain to work with lol. The body and legs will be dyed in the very near future. Handy piece of info^^^^

I thought about the same thing, but the 3DR Solo is black and I haven't really heard of any over heating issues with the craft. The air flow from the props should be sufficeint yeah?

I don't think that's the kind of "heat" to which he was referring. Lol

I don't think that's the kind of "heat" to which he was referring. Lol

Yeah, I was thinking more of the sun toasting it during flight, lol.

Yeah, I was thinking more of the sun toasting it during flight, lol.

I understand. That is what I was referring to as well. While the quad is in flight it is passing a substantial amount of air across the surface of the airframe. While in a controlled hover obviously less than while in motion. I'm going to use a non-contact thermometer to check the surface temp of the quad after my next flight, and I'll do another reading after I dye and fly. That should give us an idea if it'll have over heating issues.

My mistake. I thought the original comment was about people freaking out if the quad was painted black. Even though it obviously makes it more visible, it might look a little more menacing to idiots than the innocuous white of the Phantom.

I understand. That is what I was referring to as well. While the quad is in flight it is passing a substantial amount of air across the surface of the airframe. While in a controlled hover obviously less than while in motion. I'm going to use a non-contact thermometer to check the surface temp of the quad after my next flight, and I'll do another reading after I dye and fly. That should give us an idea if it'll have over heating issues.

Let us see some pictures when finished!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik