Air Travel Battery Limits and Case Suggestions

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has encountered a limit to the number of batteries you can carry onboard. (Domestic US - Delta) I have 6 all with the port covers. Seems like you can never predict what TSA or a gate agent will come up with.

Also have a softsided backpak and a hardside case. Both are carry-on compliant. Again a gate agent with a vendetta could be a show stopper. Wondering if I should play it safe and take the hard side in the off chance they insist on making me gate check it after the batteries are removed.

Wondering if anyone has encountered a limit to the number of batteries you can carry onboard. (Domestic US - Delta) I have 6 all with the port covers. Seems like you can never predict what TSA or a gate agent will come up with.
Also have a softsided backpak and a hardside case. Both are carry-on compliant. Again a gate agent with a vendetta could be a show stopper. Wondering if I should play it safe and take the hard side in the off chance they insist on making me gate check it after the batteries are removed.
We don't get many reports of TSA or gate agents causing trouble over batteries.
All the airlines have their rules on their websites and they are all based on the FAA rules.
None that I've seen mention a limit on numbers.
Batteries
https://www.delta.com/content/dam/delta-www/pdfs/baggage/acceptance_guidelines.pdf
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...fo/media/airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

Reactions: FlyGary
Look at the airlines restrictions which vary from carrier to carrier.

Some airlines allow only 2 spare batteries ( 3 total ) provided they are packed individually, contacts taped, not fully charged. I usually carry them in individual lipo safe bags and have not faced any issue. Carrying drone without batteries is not a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I've carried on 4 batteries many times with no problems. I don't think TSA is going to care. After that.... how would the airlines know that you have batteries or how many. They simply don't check unless it's somehow brought to their attention.

Delta has a 2 external battery limit each being under 160 watts. But anyone could have 3 or 4 external lithium based batteries and I'm sure it happens all of the time. I have heard of _rare_ cases where the Delta agent did not allow a person to board a plane with, what they thought, was in excess of this amount. But in those situations the person made the agent aware of the batteries.

I've probably carried on a case with 4 batteries in it onto 20 flights. Delta never said anything (they never knew) and I never had an issue with TSA other then wanting to swipe everything for testing (twice). Even then, TSA took about 20 seconds and never asked any questions.

Thanks all. I think I will have 3 in my case and the others in my laptop bag or my wife's bag. (I can already hear her, my bag is heavy enough without carrying your batteries.

The folks here are great but I'd call my carrier.

Things change often with no notice.

Look at the airlines restrictions which vary from carrier to carrier.
Some airlines allow only 2 spare batteries ( 3 total ) provided they are packed individually, contacts taped, not fully charged.
I think the limit of two is only for the larger (>100WH) size batteries.
I haven't seen any showing a limit for batteries of less than 100WH.

4 batteries three times with no issues. I have a P3P it travels in the DJI back pack "Inside Checked Luggage" Never an issue

I think the limit of two is only for the larger (>100WH) size batteries.
I haven't seen any showing a limit for batteries of less than 100WH.

I read this restriction from Hawaiian Airlines:

"Spare lithium and lithium-ion batteries must be transported in carry-on baggage only and must be packed as follows:

Each passenger is permitted to carry-on two (2) spare batteries, not to exceed regulatory limits.

Spare batteries must be kept away from metal objects, such as coins, keys, jewelry.

Spare batteries should be kept in original retail packaging. If original packaging is not available, tape should be placed across battery terminals or each battery should be placed in its own individual plastic bag or protective pouch."

We may have to dig more details.

Rule 4: Restricted Items

I read this restriction from Hawaiian Airlines:
"Spare lithium and lithium-ion batteries must be transported in carry-on baggage only and must be packed as follows:
Each passenger is permitted to carry-on two (2) spare batteries, not to exceed regulatory limits.
Interesting. That's the first airline I've seen so far to say that and also the first I've seen to specifically mention drones.

I wonder what they mean by .. Each passenger is permitted to carry-on two (2) spare batteries, not to exceed regulatory limits.
Perhaps they have been confused themselves by the FAA rules on >100Wh batteries?
Here's what the FAA have to say:
Lithium ion batteries
(a.k.a.: rechargeable lithium, lithium polymer, LIPO, secondary lithium).
Passengers may carry all consumer-sized lithium ion batteries (up to 100 watt hours per battery). This size covers AA, AAA, cell phone, PDA, camera,camcorder, handheld game, tablet, portable drill, and standard laptop computer batteries.
The watt hours (Wh) rating is marked on newer lithium ion batteries and is explained in #3 below. External chargers are also considered to be a battery.
With airline approval, devices can contain larger lithium ion batteries (101-160 watt hours per battery), but spares of this size are limited to two batteries in carry-on baggage only.
This size covers the large st aftermarket extended-life laptop batteries and most lithium ion batteries for professional-grade audio/visual equipment​

Presumably this is the regulatory limit Hawaiian are referring to?

The main problem is that we can't take risk at the airport as airlines officials may stick to written rules. I took the advantage of "each passenger" term and carried 4 spare batteries. Luckily no one checked or was bothered.

I am planning a trip on Hawaiian Airlines. Went to their contact page and sent them a message pointing out this issue of FAA saying, basically, no limit on batteries up to 100Wh, and a limit of 2 for those in the 100-160 range. I have not heard back. I plan on taking the FAA information sheet when I go to check in. I plan to carry on 4 P3 batteries, all properly prepared for transport. I'd thought of calling but figured I wouldn't get anybody knowledgeable enough, would spend hours on the phone, and even then, if I should get confirmation from some person, it would not be in writing. I may send another message to them inquiring. Hopefully, it will be a non issue as it has for many...

I'm still uncertain as to the proper guidelines for the RC unit; it is battery powered. It would appear, technically, that it should be carry on. My main carry on is my DSLR photo equipment. I can't carry on that and a drone in a pack. So, I was going to check it, in a hard shell case. The drone itself should be acceptable as a check in. The batteries are not. But, what about the RC unit?

I'm still uncertain as to the proper guidelines for the RC unit; it is battery powered. It would appear, technically, that it should be carry on. My main carry on is my DSLR photo equipment. I can't carry on that and a drone in a pack. So, I was going to check it, in a hard shell case. The drone itself should be acceptable as a check in. The batteries are not. But, what about the RC unit?
No-one at the airport will know or care about it.
The RC unit is the same as a laptop, tablet, mobile phone etc.
Just like all the other devices that have small lipo batteries installed.
This is covered in the FAA guidelines referred to above:
Q1. What kinds of batteries does the FAA allow in carry-on baggage (in the aircraft cabin)?
A1. For carry-on baggage checked at the gate or planeside, see Q2, below.
Passengers can carry most consumer-type batteries and portable battery-powered electronic devices for their own personal use in carry-on baggage. Spare batteries must be protected from damage and short circuit. Battery-powered devices must be protected from accidental activation and heat generation.
Damaged or recalled batteries, including when in a device, must not be carried.
Batteries allowed in carry-on baggage include
:

Dry cell alkaline batteries
: typical AA, AAA, C, D, 9-volt, button-sized cells, etc.

Dry cell rechargeable batteries such as Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) and Nickel Cadmium (NiCad). For rechargeable lithium ion batteries; see next paragraph.

Lithium ion batteries
(a.k.a.: rechargeable lithium, lithium polymer, LIPO, secondary lithium). Passengers may carry all
consumer- sized lithium ion batteries (up to 100 watt hours per battery). This size covers AA, AAA, cell phone, PDA, camera, camcorder, handheld game, tablet, portable drill, and standard laptop computer batteries. The watt hours (Wh) rating is marked on newer lithium ion batteries and is explained in #3 below.

Q2 What kinds of batteries does the FAA allow in checked baggage (including gate-checked bags)?
A2 Except for spare (uninstalled) lithium metal and lithium-ion batteries, all the batteries allowed in carry-on baggage are also allowed in checked baggage.
The batteries must be protected from damage and short circuit or installed in a device.
Battery-powered devices particularly those with moving parts or those that could heat up must be protected from accidental activation.

Hi guys, Airline pilot and newbie soon to be drone owner here.

Fire on a plane is a very serious thing, easily our worst fear. Please be safe in your travels. While it is easy to understand a name brand Li-Po is better constructed than some discount e-cig or cell phone battery, the size alone makes it a bit of a risk. So, if you have any doubts about a certain battery it is best to not travel with it. If you do bring batteries aboard, please make sure they are travel ready as best practices dictate, such as charge level, terminals secured, in a safe container and the like.

All over water flights and almost all US domestic flights now have burn bags on board. It is like a pizza delivery bag but specially made to contain laptop and battery fires. Cabin crews are trained on how to best use these bags to fight a fire, so follow their instructions if the worst happens.

If you do have a problem in flight, fess up and let the cabin crew know right away. Time is critical in fighting fires in a cabin. Domestically remember this, it takes about 15 minutes to do an emergency descent, and as long as 45 minutes to get to a suitable landing airport. Over water, you could be 3 to 4 hours from a landing point!

Also, thanks to all on this forum in promoting safe flying and staying away from airports. While a drone is no match to a big jetliner, it could take out an engine and at the very least will be bad press for the hobby on the news channels.

I'm looking forward to getting my P4P+ soon and learning how to fly it. Taking the FAA sUAS written was easy for me as the concepts they test on are the same we use in "big plane" flying. OTOH I have much to learn about the specifics of drone operation and will be asking a lot of questions in a few weeks.

Thanks for hearing me out, fly safe!

Reactions: Kenwae
Only only question I had was from the TSA X-ray tech. Wanted to know what it was. Didn't ask for a bad inspection.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Flying out of Atlanta the batteries tripped up the scan. They inspected but allowed me to pass with 6 batteries with no questions. In fact allowed me to assist in unpacking the bag since it looked expensive. Never seen TSA allow that before. All in all no issues. Kauai in Feb is the next adventure.,

Flying out of Atlanta the batteries tripped up the scan. They inspected but allowed me to pass with 6 batteries with no questions. In fact allowed me to assist in unpacking the bag since it looked expensive. Never seen TSA allow that before. All in all no issues. Kauai in Feb is the next adventure.,

Sorry to dig up an old forum, but did you end up going with your soft case or hard case? What case do you have? I CANNOT find an affordable carry on size case for my Phantom 3 Standard, and the thought of checking it makes me very nervous.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.