Video unavailable

• Thread starter Deleted member 108945
  • Start date
Wow,wow,wow. That is a part of the UK I never heard of. It has so much there. You did it justice. Nice video. I enjoyed studying the landscapes. I could never soak up all that history, although I'd like to try. My grandmother was a Cunningham, Floyd. I should have studied more about her ancestry. Many English settled West Virginia. The early history of this state was hard. There is a saying here, land rich and dirt poor. I have been made fun of because country people here speak so many old English words. My grandmother told my wife to "fetch the poke from the press." She said what? Lol Few Americans know what that sentence means. Lol Many will call it "hillbilly ", but it's old English.
Thanks for the video.

Last edited:
Very nicely done. My wife who does genealogy can claim one of her ancestors that was from the Isle of Wight. Surname of Waight. Spelling may be different. Thanks for posting. We both enjoyed over Sunday morning coffee.

OH BOY this is the best video quality i ever seen !! Looks so much real on my 4K monitor ! What editing software did you use ?

Last edited:
Wow,wow,wow. That is a part of the UK I never heard of. It has so much there. You did it justice. Nice video. I enjoyed studying the landscapes. I could never soak up all that history, although I'd like to try. My grandmother was a Cunningham, Floyd. I should have studied more about her ancestry. Many English settled West Virginia. The early history of this state was hard. There is a saying here, land rich and dirt poor. I have been made fun of because country people here speak so many old English words. My grandmother told my wife to "fetch the poke from the press." She said what? Lol Few Americans know what that sentence means. Lol Many will call it "hillbilly ", but it's old English.
Thanks for the video.
Thanks to you for so nice comment about your family! And sorry, I cannot also understand the meaning of that phrase but it's normal, I'm Spanish from Spain

Here, at Europe, most of the places have a lot of history, so it's easy to write a too much long history about them and bored people

Reactions: WV. Rootman
Very nicely done. My wife who does genealogy can claim one of her ancestors that was from the Isle of Wight. Surname of Waight. Spelling may be different. Thanks for posting. We both enjoyed over Sunday morning coffee.
Nice to know both of you like the video and thanks for your comment!!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks to @"Live My Journey" for let me edit this beautiful images

Golden beaches, beautiful landscapes, picturesque villages and historical buildings. All this and more is what brings the Isle of Wight into our laps. As the Beatles themselves said in their song When I'm sixty four, "every summer we go to rent a villa on the Isle of Wight".

Not to mention that it is a biosphere reserve, covering a total of 91,496 hectares, of which 38,000 are on the Isle of Wight itself and the rest are in the marine areas off its 92km coastline.

This small diamond-shaped island is situated only 35 kilometres off the coast of Hampshire. It is full of real attractions, and has a rich and fascinating history. Romans, Vikings and Normans fought for it and it was the last part of England to convert to Christianity. Charles I was imprisoned here, but it was also Queen Victoria's favourite retreat, and many others.

For two hundred years, the Isle of Wight has been a holiday resort. Especially from the time when it was joined by ship with England to Ryde, one of the island's main beaches. Most of the other beaches are also very popular, and among them are Saint Helens, Sandown, Shanklin and Ventnor. Beaches to the east and south-east of its coasts, sheltered from the strong winds that blow here.

Some of the historic buildings that can be seen here include Osborne House in East Cowes, Queen Victoria's favourite retreat, a beautiful Italian style mansion with gardens and terraces. There is also Carisbrooke Castle, the impressive fortress where Charles I was imprisoned, and where Princess Beatrice, Queen Victoria's daughter, lived.

You can also visit the Roman villas of Newport and Brading, two good examples of housing from the Roman period, which occupied the island, which they called Vectis, for 400 years. Very close to the coast line is the Needles Old Battery, a coastal fortress dating from 1860.

At the northern end of the island is Cowes, one of the UK's main sailing and tourist centres. Cowes Week in August is a spectacle that many Britons attend, as it is the oldest regatta in the world. Cowes Castle is home to the Royal Yacht Squadron, the most elite sailing clubs in the world.

Opposite Cowes, on the opposite bank of the River Medina, is East Cowes, which is smaller. The two are linked by the ferries of Cowes Floating Bridge. For many years, Cowes has been associated with shipbuilding, and is perhaps the place where many of the most important ships of the English navy were first built.
Breathtaking!

That is by far the best edited video I have ever seen on this site - congratulations on an excellent piece of work.

I only have one small comment - the Isle of Wight is a lot closer than 35 kilometres from Hampshire; it's closer to 3.5 (3,5).

Thanks to you for so nice comment about your family! And sorry, I cannot also understand the meaning of that phrase but it's normal, I'm Spanish from Spain

I believe what your grandmother was asking your wife to do was to fetch (bring me) a poke (small paper bag) from the press (a clamp of some sort ...used for holding folded paper bags together).

I believe what your grandmother was asking your wife to do was to fetch (bring me) a poke (small paper bag) from the press (a clamp of some sort ...used for holding folded paper bags together).
You got it except for the last word,"press". It is many times called a "linen press or wardrobe". It is a wooden piece of furniture for storing clothes.
Many people heard the saying and then understand "poke". Don't buy a pig in a poke.

You got it except for the last word,"press". It is many times called a "linen press or wardrobe". It is a wooden piece of furniture for storing clothes.
Many people heard the saying and then understand "poke". Don't buy a pig in a poke.
Thanks for that correction :) Wonder what other obscure language mysteries we can sort today?

Thanks for that correction :) Wonder what other obscure language mysteries we can sort today?
We would be taking over the post.
You are from NC. Look in a book or Google hillbilly language. Many of the terms of use by them are from old English. Due to isolation of the mountains they have been somewhat preserved. Many have been shortened to a slang version, such as “ victuals ” (if that is anywhere near the correct spelling) to vittles. Meaning, food .