Agree? "DJI PHANTOM 3 | Best camera settings …"

Reaction score
DJI PHANTOM 3 | Best camera settings for filming …:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

What do you guys think of these settings? I tend to think they look pretty good and finally a video gives a balanced look at what they should be for a noob photographer that's not too detailed but a good start.

391a42cd896bb2918d8ae2c4787a19e1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Personally, I think using 24 fps is too slow for much movement. Also, I knock the EV down a couple notches to underexpose everything I shoot. You have more latitude to work with in post.

Z

Yep... On paper, but how do you keep shutter at 50 ? I haven't found the way to do it so far unless going manual...

Reactions: taroh and mmee1992
Yep... On paper, but how do you keep shutter at 50 ? I haven't found the way to do it so far unless going manual...
You just record in manual. Only way as far as I know.

DJI PHANTOM 3 | Best camera settings for filming …:

What do you guys think of these settings? I tend to think they look pretty good and finally a video gives a balanced look at what they should be for a noob photographer that's not too detailed but a good start.

391a42cd896bb2918d8ae2c4787a19e1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Those are the same settings that a guy named Jim Hare uses on the inspire forums. His videos are beautiful. Here is an example of his work.

Please explain how to get into manual and what you set in manual. I've tried the iso & shutter settings but when I close the settings ui ISO & shutter speed go back to auto with manual control of apature only???

Reactions: mmee1992
Don't confuse frame rate with shutter speed. I'd use 30 fps. It's in the video settings. 24 fps will have more of a tendency to be jerky when panning and during fast movement.

Z

Please explain how to get into manual and what you set in manual. I've tried the iso & shutter settings but when I close the settings ui ISO & shutter speed go back to auto with manual control of apature only???
I believe the button turns blue when manual settings are on. Do not hit the button again otherwise that will remove the settings. There is a way to hide the sliders once you have the settings you need.

Those are the same settings that a guy named Jim Hare uses on the inspire forums. His videos are beautiful. Here is an example of his work.
What you're looking at in this video has more to do with fx (effects) applied in post production as the "settings" from your camera.

Z

Last edited:
What you're looking at in this video has as more to do with fx (effects) applied in post production as the "settings" from you camera.

Z
He has a video explaining the settings he uses when recording and also the post production flow. He uses the settings mentioned above. I know there is a lot of post work though such as the vignette blur and all that.

The P3 camera has a fixed aperture (f2.8). There's nothing to control.

You just record in manual. Only way as far as I know.
So "manual" is in effect, all of those settings plus going to [manual?] Shutter and ISO settings and setting them as shown? or does manual entail other "advanced" changes? Was he in manual as he described it?

I do have ND filters to compensate for the brightness he showed.

So "manual" is in effect, all of those settings plus going to [manual?] Shutter and ISO settings and setting them as shown? or does manual entail other "advanced" changes? Was he in manual as he described it?

I do have ND filters to compensate for the brightness he showed.
This is a good video and he does a good job explaining the settings.

I don't have my phantom and app right in front of me so its hard to explain. Hope this helps. I know its for the inspire but the camera is the same as far as I know.

Last edited:
Don't confuse frame rate with shutter speed. I'd use 30 fps. It's in the video settings. 24 fps will have more of a tendency to be jerky when panning and during fast movement.

Z
I don't confuse frame rate with shutter speed... Thanks. ;) And living in the UK, I do not use 30fps either but 25.

His videos are not recorded at 24fps...is impossible imo that a video so smooth is 24fps. At least 30fps. But i think that those video are in 60fps...

This camera is not different than any other digital camera so the same basic rules apply if you want cinematic results vs reality show "video" looking results.

Shoot at 24/25 fps and double this value for a shutter speed of 50. You'll have to use an ND8 or ND16 to get the shutter speed this low in most lighting conditions. Using higher fps (30-60fps) is more the standard for TV or Video. That's why reality shows and soap operas have that nausiating "video gamey" smoothness. It's more mechanical looking vs a cinematic and organic look with natural motion blur thanks to the shutter speed of 50.

I agree with most of TTT's comments with a couple of major exceptions.

• I always us manual WB. If you use Auto WB your entire scene can experience a color shift to warmer (yellow) or cooler (bluer) as you fly, yaw and descend toward the ground. Obviously that looks unprofessional if your scene starts out a warm yellow and ends looking looking cooler blue because the camera position and scene has changed so much and the camera "automatically" adjusted for it.

• I Never Use the Standard set of settings. My settings: Sharpness -2, Contrast -3 and Saturation -2. The P3 standard setting is way too sharp and to contrasty. Too sharp: The P3's camera reveals an obnoxious amount of aliasing and moire. I was terrified after looking at the first tests I shot. Turning the sharpness down to -2 seems to be the sweet spot. -1 Still reveals way too much aliasing in things like roof shingles, fences and power lines. Too Contrasty: The standard setting can crush your shadows. So contrast at -3 and saturation at -2 with the LOG profile helps to maintain more dynamic range.

With these settings I've found it gives the most leeway possible for post color correction and grading. Sharpening is something you can always do, or get back, in post. The last thing you want sharpening your footage is any kind of "in-camera" sharpening. It's just too heavy handed. All of this IMHO of course.

I think the bottom line is if you like the results you get with your settings..... that's all that really matters.

Last edited:
what would you recommend for settings for someone who does not have post production video editing available?

Shutter speed: all depends the style you fly and the cinematic look you want, no real general rule. For architecture shooting, you want it crispy, so higher shutter speed even when you fly slow. The same for a pan, rather fast as the subject turns fast. Sport activities, rather lower to get the movement, etc. In general the rule of the double of fps for classic video on earth is for me a bit slow. In the air I prefer x1.5 to x2

The P3 camera has a fixed aperture (f2.8). There's nothing to control.
I meant "EV" which acts the same. I would prefer to use this in flight to control exposure. ISO, I want low and also shutter speed lower. All I can get is dial control of ISO or shutter. EV remains fixed.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic