After market prop installation

Reaction score
When installing aftermarket props that do not have the flats for the Phantom motors, I understand that the holes have to be 8 mm. When mounting the props does anything else have to be done to prevent the motor shafts from slipping inside the prop holes?

In fact the hole is 7.9 mm but there's no prop reamer of that size.
Some had trouble with the Graupner prop because the hub is thinner than the stock so even you screw the nut all the way down, the Graupner prop can still be loose! You have to add the proper washer (5/16" will do).
Since the Phantom motors sit partially inside the mount, so it is somewhat difficult to hold the motor to turn the nut down. Some use soft jaw pliers, some prefer the rubber strap wrench and some even make custom wrench to hole the motor can.
The prop will round hole may have one advantage over the stock keyed prop in the case of take off/landing crashes, the stock prop usually break but the round hole prop may just slip.

Even though the carbon fiber props I'm running now have "flats", I noticed that the prop nuts tend not to stay snugged up, getting loose over time and flights. This may be due to the CF being less compressible than the original plastic props.

A loose prop may slip and/or depart, and that means a crash or lost Phantom. I made 4 Delrin (acetal plastic) washers, they don't compress much, Delrin being mechanically strong, but they do keep the prop nuts from loosening.

bumper

bumper said:
Even though the carbon fiber props I'm running now have "flats", I noticed that the prop nuts tend not to stay snugged up, getting loose over time and flights. This may be due to the CF being less compressible than the original plastic props.

A loose prop may slip and/or depart, and that means a crash or lost Phantom. I made 4 Delrin (acetal plastic) washers, they don't compress much, Delrin being mechanically strong, but they do keep the prop nuts from loosening.

bumper

Delrin is a tough material with a very low coefficient of friction so much so that in the case of Delrin and metal contact, the manufacture may claim "self lubricate". I use the Delrin as the insert adapter so that I can put the prop with 8 mm hole onto the 6 mm motor shaft. I would recommend the Stop washers or the Fiber washer instead. But if you still want to use the Delrin, then use the Delrin® 100 series that remain the premier resins of choice in the most demanding applications where the ultimate in toughness combined with high strength, creep and fatigue resistance are required.

Below are some of my stop washers.
Star_Washers_250x250_zpsd327681e.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1