After great footage in Punta Cana crash back in the USA :-(

Reaction score
So a word of warning on propellor guards. Forget attaching the string they say will add protection.

One of these said strings got lose apparently and got entangled in one of my propellers bringing my drone crashing from 100 feet.

Camera busted and some frame damage. So upset about this.

Any idea s would cost in repairs? I wonder if it wouldn't be cheaper buying a used one.

Any repair shops specializing in DJI repair?

Thanks

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1466965917.440930.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1466965934.495980.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1466965946.455433.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1466965967.133454.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1466965982.590864.jpg

My Dad bought a new Standard and moved the camera/gimbal system to mine and the camera moves with the remote but we have no video whatsoever. Surprisingly the drone does still fly.

Anybody replace the camera system and not get video afterwards?

Most prop guards will come with string for the option of extra prop protection. If fitted correctly it shouldn't come loose.

I have the dji guards and use the string. However on misty mornings the string sags off, as soon as it gets warm and dry it shrinks back. Maybe wetting the string before fitting will give a tighter fit, or use fishing line or simliar.

Reactions: Yanimac
$.02

I also have used the guards, removable, since my first flight. NO Strings! They have protected me in a few crashes. Bounced off a wall, glanced off a tractor, two tip-overs onto pavement and one straight into a redwood tree (first flight). I think I would have gotten hung up way up in that tree with strings attached... Smart/lazy I don't know.

Results: two broken guards. I don't fly in strong wind so I don't have issues other posts have stated. ie: un-stable.

Still fly the original props; slight discoloring from the redwood tree. No other damage. No chipping, scraping or cracked air frame.

One day I will fly without them but they aren't in my way and performance seems fine.

Fly-on!

Reactions: Yanimac
I took a used Carbon crossbow shaft & cut it sized to the measurements between the Prop Guards , all had a some what slightly different length , but mostly 4 11/16" , I cleaned & painted them white to match the Drone , of course . They pop in with the hollow Shaft tube fitting on the notches where the string goes on the out side edges of the Screw on guards . The Arrow Shafts are like feather weight .

Sorry about your crash , I know how you feel .

Attachments

• DSCN2756.JPG
    DSCN2756.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 337
  • DSCN2755.JPG
    DSCN2755.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 310
Reactions: Chase-N
Guards are for kids and beginners, ditch them asap

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
I have clip-on ones I use occasionally and I'm certainly not a kid anymore or a beginner . They have a time and a place when they
are handy . Now I have read in here all the pro's and con's and also have experienced them . If your comfortable using them then
by all means do . Just know what to expect when using them .
It doesn't mean your a kid or a beginner if you do .:)
Think.jpg
Hate to see your crash Yanimac .

Reactions: RodPad
Guards are for kids and beginners, ditch them asap

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

What is your reasoning behind that?
The whole point of a forum is for people to have different views and opinions but you also need to give an explanation for your thoughts when people are seeking help and advice.
The guards serve a useful purpose for me, especially when transporting in my car ( I chose not not have a fully enclosed case or backpack ), ok the string is a bit naff but can be improved upon without too much effort.
Curious as to how many flights and cumulative hours are needed before we can be classed as beyond the beginner stage and into the expert realm, where crashes never happen and all mods to the drone or tx are 100% successful

Reactions: RodPad and Myetkt
Any idea s would cost in repairs? I wonder if it wouldn't be cheaper buying a used one.

Any repair shops specializing in DJI repair?
Lets answer this for the OP and not get into a prop quard discussion please .
Thank you

The OP's only mistake is that he didn't do a good job with the pre-flight check. A loose string would've been an easy catch.

Also, do not make the string too taut. Doing so will bend the guards inward, enough so it puts pressure on the arms and increases chances of the props hitting the guards.

Guards/strings being designed for beginners is BS. I would still be using them if my drone case can accomodate them.

The OP's only mistake is that he didn't do a good job with the pre-flight check. A loose string would've been an easy catch.

Also, do not make the string too taut. Doing so will bend the guards inward, enough so it puts pressure on the arms and increases chances of the props hitting the guards.

Guards/strings being designed for beginners is BS. I would still be using them if my drone case can accomodate them.
blinking-arrow.gif

SEE After great footage in Punta Cana crash back in the USA :-(

So, to answer the OP
Repairers, not got a clue.
Parts in UK direct from dji would cost:
New body shell £54
Screws £4
Camera with gimbal £230-£299
Cables £12-£30
Prop guards £15
Parts and availability in the USA, not got a clue, but bound to be cheaper than the UK

My Dad bought a new Standard and moved the camera/gimbal system to mine and the camera moves with the remote but we have no video whatsoever. Surprisingly the drone does still fly.

Anybody replace the camera system and not get video afterwards?

Is yours the same model , a P3S ? There is a thread on where to send your drone for repairs in the General section . I'll see if I can find it .

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl