After about a month I am still unable to watch videos of flights on My Laptop.....

Reaction score
I am completely, almost tech jargon illiterate. I originally had recording set to jpeg & raw. With this I was unable to see photos, but could see Videos. Then I changed it to just jpeg, as I thought I would utilise more memory on SD card. Now I can see photos, but no Videos at all. It is frustrating the Hell out of Me.
A Friend suggested I download a media player called "VLC" I think. It has a traffic cone as logo. This didn't work. I can't understand why I can't play any JPEG2000 files. My Laptop is running on Windows 7.
Does anyone have any ideas, bearing in mind I have trouble understanding tech jargon ?
Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Jpeg and raw files refer to photos. Video files are .Mp4 or .Mov files.
Look in your camera settings and change the video setting from there.

By default my video format was set to .MOV, after changing it to .MP4 it plays alot smoother.

If you wish to keep the .MOV format then download QuickTime player.

I'm in the same boat, the tech dumb boat that is. I started out recording in MOV format, but I couldn't see or edit any of my videos. I used windows moviemaker. I will probably draw guffaws for using that, but it was free, and already loaded on my laptop. But I changed to mp4, and could edit videos. Still shots were never an issue, I took videos the first 3 months, and was only working on getting them going and never took stills. I'm not sure if the changes I made had any effect on stills, but I can take em now, so I guess that's all that matters. So, Mp4 for vids, pics are listed as yours are, with some long number that I rename to something that pertains to the shot, like beach or lake or something like that, and I edit with moviemaker. Now all I have to contend with is I upgraded to windows 10 this week, and it changed every flippin thing. My computer doesn't recognize the card reader I used to plug in, it changed my info on this site, changed all my passwords apparently, etc. I'm workin through it though.

Thanks Guys for Your response. I will try what You suggest. Hopefully it will sort the problem. I'll let You know.

Changing from MOV to MP4 hasn't had any effect. I am still unable to see My Videos.
I'm going to have to sweet talk a techy person to have a look.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Have you tried to view on different pc to see just what happens with different hardware.

also try downloading GOM Player I use it for all videos myself and it plays mp4 and mov

Lets take a simple approach here...lets see what you have on the card.

How are you accessing the photos?
1. Are you connecting via USB to the drone or ...
2. Are you putting the card in a a reader on your PC

If its #1, stop. Get a card reader and use that.
If its #2, open up the directory DCIM on the card. Screen print that window (hold ALT and press PrtSCN button then open paint or whatever else you got to edit images, paste in with CTL-V and save) and post the image here so we can see what you have on the card.

Once you are able to show us what you have on the uSD card from the phantom, maybe we will see what the problem is. But until then, all we can do is guess at what you have nor don't have to work with.

kirk2579 I have tried to view on a different pc. No luck. I have already downloaded a Media player called VLC which was recommended to Me. No luck with that. Maybe I'll try GOM.
yojo182, I have taken SD Card out of drone put into a card reader and tried on two pc's and a Smart telly so far. I can see photos, but no Videos.
Wolfiesden, I have tried connecting connecting via USB to Drone & putting card reader into PC.
I will try taking a Screenshot or pic with phone and post here.
Thanks everybody for Your Help.

I can't open the app in camera view to check on what I am thinking (not by my P3), but isn't there an option in the camera/video settings for NTSC/PAL?
Could that be set wrong and cause his problem?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I am completely, almost tech jargon illiterate. I originally had recording set to jpeg & raw. With this I was unable to see photos, but could see Videos. Then I changed it to just jpeg, as I thought I would utilise more memory on SD card. Now I can see photos, but no Videos at all. It is frustrating the Hell out of Me.
A Friend suggested I download a media player called "VLC" I think. It has a traffic cone as logo. This didn't work. I can't understand why I can't play any JPEG2000 files. My Laptop is running on Windows 7.
Does anyone have any ideas, bearing in mind I have trouble understanding tech jargon ?
Any response would be greatly appreciated.

just for fun , you are talking about jpeg etc. files
those are photo type files not video usually.
a video playable file from the p3 will be dji0000xx.mov or dji0000xx.mp4
if your card does not have that you will not have video to pplay

ARE you switching the p3 APP to VIDEO mode and record
or
might it be in photo mode
anyhow maybe look in that direction as you have done most everything else

good luck and have fun flying!

Are you filming in 4K? If so your computer may not be able to handle it. Maybe try recording in 1089p and give that a go

Thanks for everyones help. It turns out as I am running on Windows 7, it may be a little old. I may try updating to windows 10. Also I didn't format SD cards, apparently this may help. I am recording in 1080p not 4K.
I have now found a media player that works, though the frame rate seems ever so slightly jerky. If I can fix this, I'm sorted.
Thanks again for everyone's suggestions, it has helped enormously.

I have close to the same problem. I put SD card in desktop computer and I can see all pictures just perfect but videos open and I can see them but they are not watchable. They play a second and stop for awhile, then play a second then stop for awhile. I tried to just let the video load thinking it was buffering but even after waiting 5-10 minutes it still doesn't play the video correctly. This was using my sons P3S and also tried it on my P3A. Same issue. It's recording at1080. Any ideas would be appreciated. As of now all I can do is play them (with no issues) on my iPhone 6 Plus and iPad's. Wondering if my computer is too old. One is using Windows 7 and the other vista. I know, vista is ancient.

Hi, check to see your cards are all type 10 not 6 or 8. Use the lower level cards and the small (2gb, 4gb) for something else.
Next I check the cards on my pc and format them
Finally format the sd card in the Phantom This sorted out problems I was having.
Definitely go with Windows 8 or 10 if your pc can handle it.
Cheers, Brian

There is nothing wrong with windows 7. I have it on my pc at home and at work. I can easily see and work with 4k video and below just fine. Changing your os won't change the issue you are having.

Could you post your machine specs such as video card, cpu, ram, and free hard drive space and what programs you are using to see the video?

Also, start task manager (ctl-alt-delete and select start task manager). Look on the graph and see what your cpu use is BEFORE you play the video then look at it while playing. Also look at the memory graph on the same tab. Report back with what the readings are.

It could be you have something eating your cpu or ram or maybe your system doesn't have enough of either to play the video. What you see in the graphs will hopefully uncover some problem that can be addressed.

Thanks for everyones help. It turns out as I am running on Windows 7, it may be a little old. I may try updating to windows 10. Also I didn't format SD cards, apparently this may help. I am recording in 1080p not 4K.
I have now found a media player that works, though the frame rate seems ever so slightly jerky. If I can fix this, I'm sorted.
Thanks again for everyone's suggestions, it has helped enormously.

Blimey ! That is all far too technical for Me. I'll show Your reply to My partner, She'll be able to suss it out. Thanks. Will report back. After clean up , gotta get rid of stuff.

What program are people using for videos? I was having problems viewing mine as well, sounds similar to what others are having, I think I discovered the problem with it being 4K video, so I have been able to switch to 1080p, but what are you using to watch them with???

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj