Afraid to fly :(

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have crashed into the ground while landing doing a CSC instead of holding the throttle down. Yes silly me

The blades have hit the ground and stopped spinning but the motor is still trying to spin.

Im very worried about a burn out...

Any checks I can do.

Im not the best at fixing one of theses. Ive only had it a short while.

Thnaks

@JamesJeley I would simply plug your aircraft in to the software provided and run a motor test. I've crashed quite a few times pretty hard learning to fly and my Phantom took the beating with no prob. Hope all is well!!

jamesjeley said:
Hello all,

I have crashed into the ground while landing doing a CSC instead of holding the throttle down. Yes silly me

The blades have hit the ground and stopped spinning but the motor is still trying to spin.

Im very worried about a burn out...

Any checks I can do.

Im not the best at fixing one of theses. Ive only had it a short while.

Thnaks
Welcome to the forum.
A brushless motor can be stalled indefinitely without damage. Replace the props and try again. You did buy spare props, didn't you? I really doubt that you will find many people here who haven't crashed a multi-rotor aircraft before.
How high were you when you went into CSC? (Crash, Seriously Crash- which is OK when you're already on the ground, as in landed.)
If you were like ten to twenty feet, I would look for any cracks in the shell. Are all the props on a level plane - it won't be perfect but if you bent a motor mount, it will be very obvious. Do the motors all feel the same when you spin them?

Let us know when you get it back up.

Imagine Superman said something like that? Get out there and fly man!

The cameras are the only part you can really destroy easily.

Some people cut those plastic drop pins and gently remove the camera for the first few flights. The wires just unplug. Later you can pop it back on. The drop pins are single use but mine came with a couple of spares. Or you can use some loose zip ties looped through the holes.

To keep your drone really safe you are going to have to learn to "hand catch". That's what I do anyway.

Make sure you have it nice and level and hovering in the air steady then you just walk up under it and grab the landing strut with one hand and power down with the other. If you screw it up your drone will still be fine. You, on the other hand, may need a trip to the emergency ward. Those props will cut through skin like a knife through hot butter. So ya... pro's and cons.

I have had two crashes. First one only broke one blade. Second one hit a tree, I just about peed my pants watching it come down. I was very lucky on the second one, two blades, one gimble guard, one blade guard. As time goes on you will get better and learn the do's and don't. For me trees are my worse nightmare.

The Phantom itself is very robust, it's the camera and gimbal that are the first to suffer damage.
Try a few low easy flights and make sure it hovers ok before flying out at any distance. It will build your confidence back and any problems will show up quickly. :)

I suggest you do many modest test flights first, until you overcome that basic fear - just take off and hover about 5 metres for a while, then start moving in a square pattern, etc. Remove the camera, as previously suggested, and I also recommend you fit prop guards if not already fitted, at least until you can take off and land smoothly. That way, if the bird tips, in most cases it won't damage your props.

One tip - when taking off, spin up the props until she is just about ready to lift, then give full throttle until in the air. That usually avoids take off tip-overs.

Hi guys thanks for your responses. I've jumped back on and starting flying today. It was on the ground as it crashed.
I got spare blades too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.