Afraid of altitude mode

Reaction score
I'm experience rc plane flyer but when comes to p4 I'm comfortable flying in gps mode but kinda afraid flying in altitude mode beyond visual range

What is the risk flying in altitude mode and how difference it is compared to gps p mode

Is there any features not available in altitude mode like rth etc

Sorry should have read manual but guess I'm too lazy lol

Well get un lazy and read it :)
because its important to read.gif

I'm experience rc plane flyer but when comes to p4 I'm comfortable flying in gps mode but kinda afraid flying in altitude mode beyond visual range
What is the risk flying in altitude mode and how difference it is compared to gps p mode
Is there any features not available in altitude mode like rth etc
Sorry should have read manual but guess I'm too lazy lol
For a start .. it's attitude mode, not altitude.

For most flyers, most of the time, there's no need to use atti mode.
Atti is just like GPS mode without GPS.
You still have altitude holding but no position holding.
Flying in atti is a little like driving on ice with no brakes.
Practice in the open where there's nothing to hit.

You should practice in attitude mode for the "oh ****" moment when you get a compass error. I don't know how often it happens with a P4 but... If your quad gets wonky switch to ATTI mode. It will enable you to bring it back.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

You should practice in attitude mode for the "oh ****" moment when you get a compass error. I don't know how often it happens with a P4 but... If your quad gets wonky switch to ATTI mode. It will enable you to bring it back.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

How does a compass error affect the way the GPS mode works? Isn't the compass for heading hold and such.... GPS is for location?

How does a compass error affect the way the GPS mode works? Isn't the compass for heading hold and such.... GPS is for location?
In some circumstances it's possible for your Phantom to have trouble where it can't reconcile the differences between the data from the compass and GPS.
In that situation, its solution is to ignore the GPS data and leave you in atti mode.
This doesn't happen with every compass error, just some situations where the differences are significant enough.

I would disagree that ATTI mode (as it's usually called) is useless for most Phantom fliers. It certainly isn't the first thing that you should try. But it is one of the first "advanced" techniques you should learn. ESPECIALLY if you fly around Big Things that tend to soak up GPS signals like canyon walls, trees and buildings. Once you realize that you have to control the bird, that it's not trying to crash deliberately and that small, careful stick movements can keep the craft out of danger, you have quite a bit more freedom to fly and photograph.

As has been mentioned, ATTI mode also gives you some nice 'sliding' effects when you stop. The Phantoms like to crash stop as soon as the sticks are centered. (Turn auto braking way down unless you are habitually challenging walls and trees.) Useful at times but it can be an abrupt transition on video. Gliding to a stop is often more visually satisfying.

Recently, I was trying to film a waterfall in a slot canyon. Got up close, lost GPS. Starts drifting towards the waterfall. Given that I anticipated this and have practiced ATTI a bunch, I was minimally inconvenienced and just carefully backed away. If you weren't expecting this or didn't feel comfortable with just the right little bit of stick, it would have been bath time.

I had this happen with my P3S, once the compass errors out, it goes into ATTI mode and there is no more RTH. I presume it's to stop a flyaway, so you can take full control and land it immediately. That one was my fault for calibrating compass next to my car.

I think people misunderstand Atti mode, thinking its some sort of dangerous mode that should only be used under special circumstances. No.. Until GPS became common Atti mode was the "default" flying mode for all model aircraft.. No electronics helping, just the pilot. It still feels like the most intuitive, natural mode to me and I fly in Atti often.. It's all about small, precise stick movements and having your orientation down.. Even Atti isn't really all pilot because it automatically maintains altitude.. I learned to fly with smaller cheap quads that required constant attention just to hover them in front of you. I only really need GPS mode on the Phantom if I'm trying to set up a picture and want it to remain in one place exactly, say on a windy day.. Other than that I'm usually in Atti.. Though I must say I am really enjoying the speed and agility of Sport mode on the P4.. That has spiced up flying these things again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Erised
The OP asked about distance flying in atti mode, which I do not suggest. Or BVR flight in atti mode, first way before that, get comfortable with it, like was pointed out already, it's not that scary! Especially for those of us who have flown before 2010, or like me, in the 90s!
I took my bird up thru my trees and out the other day, only to notice I was in atti the whole time, I'd had gotten so proficient flying in atti I didn't even notice, I just made the small corrections without thinking about them, it was natural. And I am new to UAV (starting to not like the term "drone" myself anymore

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj