aeroXcraft gimbal for Phantom

Reaction score
In this video I compare the wire based "nomojello" Gopro mount for $30 against the $350 aeroXcraft gimbal. Guess which wins? Actually, given the Zenmuse issues, the upgrade board issues, the software upgrade issues, and the fact you have to dig in with a soldering iron and tear the connections up, the aeroXcraft gimbal is a very nice alternative. i didn't hook up the tilt switch on the transmitter, although that is possible.

Watch here:

http://youtu.be/aeF4aVQrFI0

Sad ending to the story is, since I published this video I crashed the whole quad/gimbal/gopro/battery deal into the ocean and it's currently drying out after a fresh water shower. It's resurrection, or not, is yet to come...

Excellent video there (despite the issue you had after it.... hoping the clean up goes well!).
If nothing else you can say you are doing a proper torture test on the Gimbal cause if it works after a salt water dip then it is a very robust bit of kit!
I really think the Aeroxcraft looks like a great option over the Zenmuse at the moment. They say they test them all out of the factory (given high demand I'm not sure how long that will last!) but I bet DJI only test a random sample of Zenmuse.

There are products out there like PlastiDip(?) that you 'could' use on the Gimbal board(s). Its like a flexible rubber paint/spray on insulation designed for electrical components. Either that or the more expensive routes for waterproofing that have been discussed on this forum a few times.
Flight time is a bit of a worry for me. Sounds like it really needs a dual batt setup but not sure the stock motors will be man enough for all of it as it'll take it over 1.2kg for sure (especially with FPV kit too). Might be worth asking AeroXcraft what draw the gimbal needs in case a small independent batt is a better option?

I get around 5 minutes before the red light starts flashing constantly with my Phantom, using an aeroXcraft gimbal and FPV kit (don't usually have the video TX plugged in though.)

Total package weighs 1,143g so another battery will probably bring it up to near 1.5kg!

Got some upgraded motors on the way (T-Motor antigravs) so will see what difference that makes, if any.

The aeroxcraft cost me $350 CDN versus $950 for the Zenmuse, and upgrade board. That didn't include shipping to the dealer, at least another $50. I'll take the shorter flight times of the aeroxcraft thank you, over the rocky performance and quality issues of the Zenmuse. I don't mind paying nearly a third less, and if I upgrade my platform to the Flamewheel series 450 or 550, the aeroxcraft will tie to a special gimbal rail on them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers