Aerial timelapse & Night Photos

Seems like I was using timelapse mode and taking too many pictures. People tend to use a max of 1 pic per 3sec, because apparently you get black screen at each shot. Can someone confirm this approach when taking timelapse photos with gopro while using fpv? Thanks!

voodoo said:
Seems like I was using timelapse mode and taking too many pictures. People tend to use a max of 1 pic per 3sec, because apparently you get black screen at each shot. Can someone confirm this approach when taking timelapse photos with gopro while using fpv? Thanks!

I use 1 shot every 5 secs and have had awesome results.

you're correct voodoo - whenever the gopro takes a photo (in any mode) the video-out feed will go blank for a second or 2. If you have your timelapse interval down low enough (3 sec or less) it's basically blank the whole time.

why timelapse mode on the gopro? Are you familiar with video+still mode? seems like that's a better option for Phantom pilots, you get your video AND stills every few seconds... set it to take a pic every say 10 seconds and you have time to line up your shots well inbetween shots without too much interruption on the FPV feed.
you'll also have less pictures to sort through later

QYV said:
you're correct voodoo - whenever the gopro takes a photo (in any mode) the video-out feed will go blank for a second or 2. If you have your timelapse interval down low enough (3 sec or less) it's basically blank the whole time.

why timelapse mode on the gopro? Are you familiar with video+still mode? seems like that's a better option for Phantom pilots, you get your video AND stills every few seconds... set it to take a pic every say 10 seconds and you have time to line up your shots well inbetween shots without too much interruption on the FPV feed.
you'll also have less pictures to sort through later

That method is more convenient but the picture quality takes a hit.

ddublu said:

I think there's a video mode you can run in where that doesn't happen. I feel like I've seen a chart somewhere with the various video modes and the stills in takes in video+picture mode in each resolution. I'll try to find it
edit: here it is. This chart specifically is for a Hero 3 so the framerates are different for HEro 4, but the principle should apply... according to this you get a "normal" 12MP picture same as timelapse stills if you run 1440 video
gopro%20simultaneous%20chart.jpg

QYV said:
ddublu said:

I think there's a video mode you can run in where that doesn't happen. I feel like I've seen a chart somewhere with the various video modes and the stills in takes in video+picture mode in each resolution. I'll try to find it
edit: here it is. This chart specifically is for a Hero 3 so the framerates are different for HEro 4, but the principle should apply... according to this you get a "normal" 12MP picture same as timelapse stills if you run 1440 video
gopro%20simultaneous%20chart.jpg

Ive tried it before and there is a difference. See this post from Abe.

http://abekislevitz.com/understanding-y ... ro-part-2/

ah right on, I haven't actually tried it. good to know thanks

yesterday i went for my first night time lapse, and just like you've been told if you set the timelapse for a small interval youll get a black screen all time.

my settings for yesterday.
time lapse every 5 seconds + protune + hero4, i had to tilt the camera about 45° because the red lights at the front of the phantom, i shot 150 pics and got a decent 15 seconds timelapse, however i didnt like it (the phantom moves a lot while hovering) so ill go for a second round tomorrow night, with photos every 2/3 seconds and a minimum of 300 pics. ill keep you informed :D

here's an example of yesterday pics.

Attachments

• 2015-03-17 21.05.14.jpg
    2015-03-17 21.05.14.jpg
    912.4 KB · Views: 530
I put gaffer tape over the front lights for exactly that reason. now I don't get any glow or anything in my night videos.
don't really need those front running lights if you've got FPV.

I left the rears alone since they have actual function as indicators

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20