Advise needed on which Phantom

Reaction score
I am looking to enter the hobby and have been following these boards and doing research for several weeks. I am still undecided if I should get the Vision+ or the Phantom 2 and install my own fpv. 

I will be using my phantom purely for recreational fun. I am not a professional or even amateur photographer by any means. I don't care a lot about video quality as I'd only be posting videos to Facebook. What I do want is a fun to fly phantom with a good FPV system that has good range. My family owns some land in a fairly remote place along a river so it will be fun to fly along the property looking at wildlife. 

So, my main concern: is the Vision+ going to give me as good (or close) of an experience for fun FPV flying as a phantom 2 with dedicated FPV system? The wifi aspect scares me a little. Will the range be comparable for the Vision+ and a radio signal FPV? (leaning towards Boscam brand) How does the picture quality compare? I read one review saying the FPV picture on the Vision 2+ was laggy making it hard to fly by FPV. Is it easy to see on the phone while flying? Or is the fpv display on the phone mainly used only for framing shots? I would like the option to use fpv goggles eventually, is that possible with the Vision+? How does flight time compare between the vision+ and a phantom 2 with FPV display. I would assume the vision+ carries less weight and would get better flight time.

What I like about the vision+ is the simplicity and the cheaper price tag. I really have no use for a gopro for anything else so spending the extra money is hard to justify. Also, as I have very limited experience with RC aircraft, the out of the box simplicity of the Vision+ is very appealing for me as I wouldn't have to piece together and assemble the fpv system myself.

Any advise anyone could give would be greatly appreciated.

If you're just getting into the hobby and price is a concern, you might want to look into the P2V. Same basic interface, camera and FPV experience as the P2V+ (although the + has a bit more range out of the box), without the 3 axis gimbal which, don't get me wrong, is very nice, but for half the price, for entry level you couldn't go wrong with the P2V. You can still take some great stills and video with it, just takes a little more practice. Whatever you get, you'll love the experience!

I am not in any way an expert in FPV but am impartial. The P2 would undoubtedly give you much more potential in terms of range and ability to have fully immersive FPV but and this is a big but, a lot more thought, effort and possibly money involved. It sounds to me a V+ would be prefect for you - you would have to check but I think if you have a phone with hdmi out you can get goggles in the future if you need them. The other solution is to use a 7" tablet and rig up some kind of system to keep the light out like the old photographers used to.

The V+ gives (imo) enough range to match battery capability together with a reasonable camera and what appears to be a very good gimbal which has 3 axis. From the gimballed video footage I have seen the 3rd axis is almost essential - I cannot see the point in having only 2 axis - sure it smooths the video dramatically but the smoothing actually makes the yaw jerking more pronounced and would drive me crazy*

Edit * you could of course edit it out afterwards

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair