Advice: Phantom 1 v. Phantom 2

Reaction score
I bought a Phantom 1 late last year, but unfortunately due to work and some other life events, I have not gotten to play with it since early this year. Now as I get back to working on it I realize that all the new accessories are designed to go on the Phantom 2 and finding ways to make them work on the Phantom 1 is getting more and more complicated (most notably I have ordered two zenmuse gimbals that say they will work on the Phantom 1, only to find that they do not include the necessary GCU). This makes me start to wonder if, before I start spending more money on my Phantom 1, if I should just sell my current setup and upgrade to a version 2 before I invest in all of the add ons. So I was looking for some advice from more experienced pilots. What are the benefits/capabilities that the phantom 2 has over the phantom 1?

The single biggest benefit is flight time: 25 minutes for the P2 against what? 10 minutes for the P1, from what I've read?

I get 15-18 minutes on my Phantom 1.1.1 and I do not use the stock batteries but the custom batteries from Max amps that they custom make for the Phantom and the fact that spending over $159.00 for the Phantom 2 battery is just plain crazy when the custom batteries from Max Amp give you just as much flight time on the 1.1.1.As for selling you would not get as much as you expect, I have been watching e-bay and they are only selling for a little over $200.00 on most auctions. I would do some upgrades on what you have because otherwise you might end up losing money on your investment. This is just my 2 cents, it is yours and for you to do as you see fit.

I have both if you made me choose the P2 wins hands down handles better little quicker & more flight time . Battery's are dropping in price they are around $130 now . If your not going to fly a lot I would just work with what you got their is nothing wrong with the P1 I still fly it too .

Flight times will drop dramatically with the P1 if you start adding kit beyond a lightweight camera straight on the bottom.
It's good for what it is but the P2 range make it seem almost toy-like when you go back to it.

It's a good way to get familiar with the DJI quirks, and gain flying experience with less risk of expensive crashes though.

Phantom 1 with Phantom 2 props and a good 2800 Mah battery will get much improved flight times. If you are a tinkerer, you can swap the bottom half of the shell for one from a Phantom 2 and have room for even larger batteries.

From these responses I take it that you cannot use normal lipo battery packs in the phantom 2? is this correct?

arc314 said:
From these responses I take it that you cannot use normal lipo battery packs in the phantom 2? is this correct?

Correct, not without replacing the NAZA or using some other hack-around. The P2 NAZA is locked to the smart battery config.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj