Advice on Planned Event Flight

Reaction score
Hey Guys!

So I've gained a pretty good following on Instagram ( Guide to The West Coast (@imgrado.photography) • Instagram photos and videos ) here in the San Diego area and the organizers of the Outrigger Kayak Race reached out to me to ask if I would be interested in doing some photography and video of their upcoming race.

This would be purely hobby flying as the photography stuff is just for fun, but my concern is the part of the FAA rules that say you can't fly over people coming into play here.

Does it make a difference if the event is inviting you out and gives you permission to fly over?

I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question!

Not a dumb question. And yes, it makes a difference. First, only do it if you have a lot of flying experience. You'll need to hold a safety briefing and make everyone aware of what you're doing. Avoid flying directly over people. Stay to one side or the other. If possible, establish a method of communication for people to "take cover" in case something goes wrong.

That's some great advice Mr. Taco Wrangler. Perhaps preparing a PDF doc they can send out to the participants this week would be the best way to do this.

I have a pretty good amount of flying experience and can handle the craft pretty well, so I'm not too concerned with the part (provided the winds stay low as foretasted)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1