Advice needed on a turn key ready to fly package

Reaction score
I'll start by saying that I'm not an RC, or electronics guy. I'm just a guy that wants to combine videography and flight without having to buy a Bell Jet Ranger. :mrgreen: I've been googleing and youtubing for the past several days and the amount of info on theese things is quite mind boggling. I"ve pretty much decided that I want a phantom 2 w/zenmuse and Hero 3 but, I also want the ability to see what I'm actually videoing. All of theese DIY FPV systems are a little over my head so I decided that my best option is to just buy a turn key package. I'm kind of leaning towards this package from B&H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... rnkey.html I realize that there are other places that sell also sell theese turn key packages. Any thoughts on this particular setup, or suggestions on a different one?

A little pricey but probably the best dealer (or one of) for warranty service.

I bought this from a local dealer. I added a patch antenna for the FPV display ($69) and a GoPro Black ($399). I am very happy with the combo. I have since added the GS (thanks EMCSQUAR) and am gradually learning how to use that. $1949 + the GoPro Black
I particularly appreciated the fact that I got to test fly the Phantom even before I agreed to buy it. In fact, the test flight was what pushed me over the edge. :D
This is a good guide to what to buy. I'm really glad I got the 600mW FPV transmitter.

"This is a custom built aerial kit, tuned by the pros at EyeAerial. All you need to do is attach your GoPro Hero3+ and you're ready to fly. Don't have a GoPro? No problem, just select the optional GoPro Hero3+ Black edition and the camera will ship installed on your aerial rig. GoPro Hero3 Black Edition

DJI Phantom 2 GoPro Aerial Rig
DJI Zenmuse H3-3D Gimbal (3-Axis gimbal pre-installed and tuned)
DJI Self-Tightening 9" Props (set of 8)
2 Total DJI OEM 5200 mAH LiPo Batteries
Fat Shark 600mW FPV Transmitter with Fat Shark SpiroNET Tx Antenna
5.8 GHz Long Range LCD Diversity Receiver 7 Inch Monitor - This FPV Screen mounts right to your transmitter. The battery and Receiver are built into the slim form factor making it extremely light weight and portable. EyeAerial includes a mount that makes it quick and easy to attach your FPV Monitor to your transmitter
iOSD - This sends all your crucial flight data right to your FPV screen, including: Altitude, Battery percentage, distance from where you took off from, airspeed, and much more. It will even help you find your way home by simply rotating the craft until you see the diamond indicating your launch location, never get lost again!
Go Professional Custom Carry Case for the DJI Phantom 2
DJI Propeller Guards - These come in handy when you are first learning to fly, and when you are flying in areas where there are a lot of obstacles.

Each EyeAerial Gold Edition is test flown before shipping to ensure everything is perfectly configured, and that it's flying smooth"

I keep seeing "600mW transmitter" pop up in theese conversations. Exactly what is that and why is it better than others? like I said, I'm not an electronics guy....

28sstony said:
I keep seeing "600mW transmitter" pop up in theese conversations. Exactly what is that and why is it better than others? like I said, I'm not an electronics guy....
I think the "standard" transmitter most people talk about is 200mW, so this would be three times more powerful, theoretically producing better range.
Of course, the antenna(s) are a huge part of it.

Hi there,

let go back to the basic's here......

1. by the Phantom vision plus.
2. Why
the Go Pro hero 3 is a great camera, which is not the problem. All the things around are. The video package transmitter monitor.... and as you said you are not a RC guys nor a electronic wiz kid :)

3. All that stuff works out of the box great............. BUT
4. As you are not a RC guy you will have flying challenges to over come and there is the problem !!!!

DO NOT believe all this stuff will fly out of the box...... For a skilled RC pilot it does. As well as I have to say for the video gamer.

Please spend some money on a flight sim and parctise on the flight sim. When you get that down .... start fly in filed with soft earth or grass. You will crash, take it slow and you will have fun.

I have to say when I started this hobby 4 four years ago we did not have all those cool toys.... and you had the be and RC guy as well as electronic dude.... We could even get most of this stuff.

Spend you money wisely fly with other lean learn and lean more. Then you will made great videos.

HAHAHAH and do not forget all those videos are for you home use only, do not sell them as the FAA (here in here in the USA) will come after you.

Have fun

If you haven't already settled on a package deal, I can recommend the guys at Atlanta Hobby. ( atlantahobby.com).
I have used them to purchase a similar system as you described. They are very knowledgable and helpful. I started out not knowing what I didn't know. They answered my newbie questions exhibiting a lot of patience.
Good luck in your search.

For true " right out of the box" flying, I too agree that you can't beat the phantom 2 vision+. Camera is connected, ultra stable, and with an ipad mini or ipad instead of your iPhone to android, you have a " monitor".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav