Advice Needed: I need a portable landing pad/area...

OverheadAerial said:
Hey everybody,

I need a portable landing pad for my P2. If you have built one or bought one can you please post a photo and information about what you've got? Thanks!

I just use my carrying case. Close the lid and lift off from the top. Hand catch to land.

Reactions: SilverStone641
I do %100 hand catch. But I do use a large plastic cutting board from "Bed Bath & Beyond" for nice flat launch that prevents dust debris and vegetation from getting into things. Just make dang sure whatever you use is metal free "non ferrous"

ehHDlxhl.jpg

owIxjvKl.jpg

5QzeoYhl.jpg

Parts list:

1 small wood cutting board
2 pairs cheap screw-in doorstoppers
1 round level

The legs can easily be adjusted to make sure the pad sits level on most surfaces.

Reactions: Racheltgal
HarryT said:
Is there a need to have the Phantom level when it takes off? I've never done so.

No need. If it is noticeably uneven, then you'll just need to compensate when taking off, to prevent a roll-over. I find myself taking off from unlevel ground all of the time. I just hold the control stick in the opposite direction of the low end of my bird.

Hi,

I use an anti-vibration mat ( rubber granule, 60x60x1 cm), looks like asphalt a bit. You can paint/spray a heli landing sign on it :) .
It's massy enought to hold down grass or protect from dirt.
You can attach a handle if you like for easier carrying i.e. a piece of rope.

Lem

Attachments

• vlcsnap-00002.jpg
    vlcsnap-00002.jpg
    598.2 KB · Views: 1,376
sidebox said:
No need. If it is noticeably uneven, then you'll just need to compensate when taking off, to prevent a roll-over. I find myself taking off from unlevel ground all of the time. I just hold the control stick in the opposite direction of the low end of my bird.

I find the best thing to do is just to take off "assertively" - ie with a lot of throttle. Don't have it bobbing around close to the ground - get it up to a height of 10' or so, where it's safe. I've taken off from slopes of 20 degrees and had no problems at all with tip-overs. Landings, on the other hand... (that's why now I always hand-catch!)

either a roll up rubber doormat or a square (18 inch to 2 feet) of 1/4 inch plywood??? you could even paint i big white H onto it :mrgreen:

Mine is a piece of foamex plastic, just big enough to slide into my backpack

HarryT said:
Is there a need to have the Phantom level when it takes off? I've never done so.

I noticed last week when I powered on my device on an uneven surface that the H3 Gimbal was holding the camera at the same angle when hovering. I reset (power cycle) on a flat surface and then the camera was level.

It has been known in the CP heli world that keeping the a/c level and still during power up was required for the tail rotor gyro.
This is to insure that during initialization the gyro 'knows' it is in a 'steady state'.

I would imagine this is the same for the IMU contained in the NAZA which contains additional sensors.

Seems HarryT may have proven it with his gimbal observation.

Reactions: Fplvert
dirkclod said:
That's the reason for the level on the cutting board

No! It's for a well balanced meal...that's Jamie Oliver's landing pad.

Reactions: Fplvert
helipad01-t.jpg

ProfessorStein said:
There's a slick (IMHO) little pad available at:
http://www.uavstickers.com/helipad.php

you can get it in "standard", "standard with mirrored rings" (which seems like it would be great to help see the LEDs on the Phantom) or "personalized".

Yeah I really like that one too, my walmart-grade solution was just meant to be a temp arrangement while I figure out the best way to put feet or legs or something on that one.

Wedeliver said:
Where did you get that pad 'slinger? Or did you paint it yourself.

I built and painted it. It has 2" diameter PVC tubing on the bottom on both sides that are capped. It keeps moisture away from the wood and makes it easier to move around to get it level...

I fly off my case most of the time, but it's cool taking off from this thing. The one thing I wished I'd added was a mirror, so I can easily see the LED flash patterns. I might yet. And I'm probably going to add a mirror to the top of my case, somehow...

-slinger

gunslinger said:
Wedeliver said:
Where did you get that pad 'slinger? Or did you paint it yourself.

I built and painted it. It has 2" diameter PVC tubing on the bottom on both sides that are capped. It keeps moisture away from the wood and makes it easier to move around to get it level...

I fly off my case most of the time, but it's cool taking off from this thing. The one thing I wished I'd added was a mirror, so I can easily see the LED flash patterns. I might yet. And I'm probably going to add a mirror to the top of my case, somehow...

-slinger

http://www.amazon.com/Mirror-Flexible-S ... d_sxp_f_pt

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj