Advice for New Purchasers of P3

Reaction score
I know it was about this time of the year last year when I first started hitting the message boards to learn all I could about "drones" before my purchase. The P3 was not out yet, so you had the option of going with the P2 Vision or modifying a P2 with the H3-3D gimbal for a goPro (which is what I did).

I was advised by the local drone shop near me to buy a small Hubsan X4 quadcopter to learn to fly on. Let me advise you that if you buy one of those, it will be much more difficult to fly than a Phantom 3. They do not have the flight control software or GPS system, and that really makes flying a the little guys more challenging and fun in some cases. But it can also make you swear off quadcopters because they aren't easy to fly at first (Hubsan X4). So, if you really want to be able to fly without GPS, or winter weather is going to have you inside a lot, the Hubsan X4 or similar style smaller quadcopter will provide that. But make no mistake about it, moving to the Phantom 3 should not be intimidating!

Once you get your P3 and update the firmware (if not done by your dealer for you) in both your copter and remote controller, you are going to need to ensure you have the latest version of the DJI Go app and head outside. I would recommend a park or open field for a first flight. DJI actually has a "first-time pilot" brochure on their website and although basic, it's exactly what the first-time pilot needs to learn the controls and basic maneuvers. Practice the maneuvers without looking at the app at first, keep your eyes on the copter and understand what it does when you make movements with the sticks. I would practice at an altitude that ensures you are above obstacles such as trees, farm houses, etc.

The most intimidating thing is the landing, as with flying any aircraft. You can play it safe and let it auto-land by using the RTH button on the controller or app, but it's not hard to feather the thrust down to gently land it. Hand catching is another option, and not for the faint of heart. I have never hand caught one by myself, I think that is a little dangerous.

If you have any questions, give me a should directly and I would be happy to chat with you. I just started a new website selling DJI drones and have a complete inventory of Phantom 3 series as well as Inspires, with the essential accessories.

Reactions: FLOATFLYER
You can play it safe and let it auto-land by using the RTH button on the controller or app
I always recommend that people play it safe by not using the auto land (or auto takeoff) feature. When auto landing, the Phantom can come down quite hard some times. And, it's not smart enough to pick the best spot to land. The Phantom is incredibly easy to safely land if you take your time and ease it down slowly once it's a few feet from the ground.

Reactions: FLOATFLYER
I have never had an issue with that, maybe my experiences have been a little different than yours. But like you said, they are not hard to land. If they have home lock set and are in a open area as suggested, they should be fine.

i never have used auto take off or auto land.
always did this manualy

I don't mind auto takeoff but auto land comes down too hard. It's not hard to land softly manually but now I usually just hand catch.

They should all auto-land, auto-takeoff and hand-catch.. Hand-takeoff doesn't make too much sense, but to know how they all occur and affect the machine is good for them. I would think most would naturally feel it safer to hand catch.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik