Advanced Calibration takes forever

Reaction score
The advanced calibration is taking forever. So I am wondering - is it something that I can do? or will it have to run until the battery of the phantom is empty?

14361401581_292ebec7cf_o.jpg

Shouldn't take that long. About 5 mins if I recall. Prob best to reboot the PC. Make sure you start the software before you plug in/turn on your Phantom.

I experienced this as well during my advanced imu calibrations. What I noticed is that during calibration, if the status displays "calibrating" and the blue bar is moving, you are good.

If the status shows "Ready" with the blue bar appearing like it's moving, it's not really calibrating -so just reboot or restart the program.

I was waiting forever as well, and even though the blue progress bar was moving up, the status was only at "ready" and never got to the end.

I noticed that the Compass Mod # changes drastically, depending on the orientation of the Phantom on the table.
eg. It reads 1200 in one spot, and if I rotate it on the table 90 degrees, it jumps to 2500, then down to 150 in another position.

The Assistant help section states that values should be between 750 and 2250, but I see most want it between 1400-1800 from what I've read on these forums. Which value (depending on orientation) is the true value?

plasmo said:
I noticed that the Compass Mod # changes drastically, depending on the orientation of the Phantom on the table.
eg. It reads 1200 in one spot, and if I rotate it on the table 90 degrees, it jumps to 2500, then down to 150 in another position.

The Assistant help section states that values should be between 750 and 2250, but I see most want it between 1400-1800 from what I've read on these forums. Which value (depending on orientation) is the true value?

Did you check the table surface with a level?

cougar said:
plasmo said:

Did you check the table surface with a level?

yes, it's level. I tried it on other (non metal) surfaces and floors as well. try it out and see if you get similar results...

I thought we were supposed to plug in, power up Then start the software?

I also set a fan on the table to keep some air moving over it during calibration.

Navman said:
I also set a fan on the table to keep some air moving over it during calibration.

I think the "overheating" error message is just a bug. Just restart the program and it should work again.

What other steps can I take if the imu calibration is taking forever. I've already followed all the advice above and i'm still sitting here trying to get this calibration to work and it's taking forever.

When i first plug it up, the bar goes all the way to the end then starts another bar. Now status says "ready" but when i click on the "basic" tab the "check imu status" button is still grayed out.

Help!

I think the "overheating" error message is just a bug. Just restart the program and it should work again.
Its not a bug.
There is a correlation in the calibration on how long you have left your phantom on idle.
Try this next time.

Leave the phantom OFF for an hour.
Start the Phantom Assist software and goto the adv calibration page and have it ready. Plug phantom in the PC. Power the phantom on and do the calibration immediately. If you have done it right, the MC heat warning does not appear and the calibration is done in a minute. This is validated by the green ticks.

Now leave the phantom on for 5 minutes idling.
Try doing the adv calibration. The warning appears and it will take longer and depending on how long you left it on, it may not even get the green ticks (yes there are 2 green ticks).

I'm no tech, but I know the IMU is about the size of a 5 cent coin and is VERY sensitive to heat (altimeter/barometer sensor). Without the props spinning and the wifi module heating, the NAZA/IMU will get hot quick, usually under a minute.

And PS. Make sure you find a levelled surface in all axis otherwise it will NOT yaw accurately.

And yes, others will disagree and tell me the warning is just a bug.

I had previously gotten the heat warning, so before I did my last Advanced IMU per someone's suggestion, I put my Phantom (minus battery) in the fridge for an hour. Hooked it up and got the heat warning again -- so that convinced me that the warning can be ignored if you know it hasn't been powered on for more than a minute. I agree... do it quickly once powered up.

Its not a bug.
There is a correlation in the calibration on how long you have left your phantom on idle.
Try this next time.

Leave the phantom OFF for an hour.
Start the Phantom Assist software and goto the adv calibration page and have it ready. Plug phantom in the PC. Power the phantom on and do the calibration immediately. If you have done it right, the MC heat warning does not appear and the calibration is done in a minute. This is validated by the green ticks.

Now leave the phantom on for 5 minutes idling.
Try doing the adv calibration. The warning appears and it will take longer and depending on how long you left it on, it may not even get the green ticks (yes there are 2 green ticks).

I'm no tech, but I know the IMU is about the size of a 5 cent coin and is VERY sensitive to heat (altimeter/barometer sensor). Without the props spinning and the wifi module heating, the NAZA/IMU will get hot quick, usually under a minute.

And PS. Make sure you find a levelled surface in all axis otherwise it will NOT yaw accurately.

And yes, others will disagree and tell me the warning is just a bug.

This worked magnificently! Thanks so much for your help. Next time you're in Atlanta, GA I owe you a beer.

This worked magnificently! Thanks so much for your help. Next time you're in Atlanta, GA I owe you a beer.

I'm glad it worked.

I discovered this a year ago when I was ground testing how to reset HL/CL. I left my phantom on idle without props and the phantom requested an IMU recalibration. The MC warning appeared It continued to fail and it depleted my battery. I recharged the battery for an hour and made a coffee. Came back and did the calibration under a minute without the warning.

Countless times I've been told the MC warning is a bug - I think not!

And don't worry about the beer.. just pay it forward and help others.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic