Advanced Calibration - Perfectly Level Surface?

Reaction score
I've done a few searches on the board and I can't decide if putting the phantom on a 'perfectly level' surface is required when doing the advanced calibration.

Even of it's on a perfectly level surface, the landing gear has foam pads on it that may make the actual internals out of level.

If the surface that the phantom is sittng on is level by checking with a spirit level in 3 or 4 places, surely that has to be enough.

If anyone has any facts or opinions to share, I'd be curious to hear them. Thx.

I'll share my opinion (actual fact - in my situation) about having the Phantom level when you perform the IMU Advanced calibration. I had performed an IMU calibration first with NOT ensuring the Phantom was level and flew the quad. On review of my video from the GoPro, I notice the horizon in my video was not level. It was off by probably 3 or 4 degrees on one side of the video. I compared this video to other videos I had taken prior to the IMU calibration, and noticed those videos were spot-on for a level horizon. I wasn't sure what the problem was at the time, but read somewhere on here that when you do the IMU calibration you need to ensure your Phantom is absolutely level in the X & Y directions.

So, I used a carpenter's level and leveled my desk the Phantom was sitting on in both the X & Y directions, then ran the IMU calibration again. I flew the quad again, and by videos now had absolutely a level horizon again. I have attributed my level horizons to the fact that I had the Phantom level during this IMU calibration. Maybe it was only a coincidence, but I think it 'fixed' my horizon problem. YMMV. Good luck!

You want to be on a pretty level surface. There are phone apps that can help with that. A marble works as a good substitute for a level. It's even more important not to cause any vibrations during calibration. Sit still and wait for it to finish.

Thank you both for the replies.

I am having an issue with my H3-3D not perfectly level to the horizon (just a few degrees) as well.

I will calibrate the unit on a well-leveled surface and see if it corrects this issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers