Adv. IMU cal and Sat Acquisition with Ext antenna

Reaction score
Hi forum members,

I had startling success in GPS sat acquisition with mods implemented by other forum members! I also want to share advice given to me by a DJI engineer in L.A. with whom I discussed the d the message Phantom MC overheated message during the advanced calibration procedure.

First off, the my stock aircraft placed in front of my house in a dense housing compound with very limited sky view or placed in a large greenbelt field in the same compound with a better view, gave me 6 and sometimes 7 GPS satellites albeit briefly. During flight, at altitudes of 50-75' I would see the same in satellite acquisition.

So this led me to read all the forum notes about internal shielding. Finally I decided to use my own shielding recipe that incorporated a copper sheet plus an aluminum sheet (only for reasons of providing electrical insulation between the copper and main board). Copper is purposely not grounded. I also followed the advice of fellow forum members who installed a NAZA-lite antenna. It was a pain in the butt to get the molex connectors, soldering the #24 wires to tiny molex pins (no crimping tool available), and temporarily mounting the antenna on the body top. I then taped the body shell together.

So in my office on a desk 3', from a Northernly facing French door (only main window out of my office), I immediately acquired 9 satellites -- from inside my office!!

Now about the advice given to me by the dJI engineer. He told me to connect the Phantom to my MAC, do NOT turn on the remote controller, RE, wi-fi link, etc. He told me to power up the craft (the gimbal started to make slow movements along each axis, but the engineer wasn't concerned), and immediately to start the PT2 assistant (by this time the gimbal settled down), go to "tools" and start the advance calibration. Speed in getting to this point is critical. The progress bar started to dance forward (at times a step backwards), messages appeared including the MC overheated message which he told me to ignore. Meanwhile, the progress bar moved forward to end (green check mark) and repeated from the start again moving rapidly this time to the end ( green check mark). Calibration completed. I told him the PT2 version I was using and he said it was out of date (in spite of the message reporting the version I was using was "up to date"). He told me to reload the entire firmware package again and the PT2 will be updated. It worked.

Regards, and thanks for fellow member's advice
-Tim

Sounds great.

But aluminum is conductive too. Having said that there is little chance of anything coming into contact to whatever you use for the shield so long as it is well fastened to the shell.

Yes, but the coating on the aluminum (Dakota Wings as I recall) uses a good dielectric. I bought it primarily for its use as a template (I'm lazy).

Regards,
-Tim

timtown said:
Yes, but the coating on the aluminum (Dakota Wings as I recall) uses a good dielectric. I bought it primarily for its use as a template (I'm lazy).

Regards,
-Tim

You didn't mention that :lol:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1