Adobe Premiere Question

Reaction score
I am new to video editing and am currently learning to edit my Phantom Plus videos on Premiere. Is there anything I should do/know when working with Phantom Plus videos on Adobe Premier that will optimize their quality? I am wanting to get the best quality I can out of my videos and didn't know if there are any must "dos" you all have discovered that make a big difference?!

I have heard people mentioning Adobe Premiere knows what type of camera your film comes from? True?

Any bit of advice would be greatly appreciated! Cheers!

There's lots you must do, in particular keep the frame rate the same throughout the stages.
Look at the properties of your source video and if it's 30fps use that, if it's 29.97 or whatever stick with that.
Rendering settings are important too.

You can render to achieve a bitrate very similar to what comes from the Visions, it's already on the low side but is quite good on youtube.
I set it at 10 with peak of 20, you only need single pass.
A typical 5 minute video will be around 500mb.

I'd work at 1080p thoughout, it is increasingly the default for HD - rather than 720p although Vimeo seem to disagree.

4wd said:
There's lots you must do, in particular keep the frame rate the same throughout the stages.
Look at the properties of your source video and if it's 30fps use that, if it's 29.97 or whatever stick with that.
Rendering settings are important too.

You can render to achieve a bitrate very similar to what comes from the Visions, it's already on the low side but is quite good on youtube.
I set it at 10 with peak of 20, you only need single pass.
A typical 5 minute video will be around 500mb.

I'd work at 1080p thoughout, it is increasingly the default for HD - rather than 720p although Vimeo seem to disagree.

Seriously, thank you for the information. Any suggestions on the settings for Phantom Plus video that will put out the best quality video? Btw, I am using the phantom plus to shoot marketing video for a couple of commercial properties I own...so fly over shots ect...

I'm using Adobe Premiere too. Had no choice after a hard drive crash, but it all worked out for the best.

The "Format" you want to use is "H.264". this is the most common for Vimeo and YouTube.

Then, scroll down the "Presets" (you have to use the little down arrow at the bottom of that long list that pops up) to really scroll the entire list. There it will give you size choices and website formats (Youtube, Vimeo etc.).

I read somewhere that Vimeo renders everything (no matter the original size) to 720p. Keep that in mind. It also saves you a lot of time rendering the videos.

ALSO watch carefully what the name of the output file is listed as. It will default to the file name of the first video used in making the project. It will NOT take on the ProjectName. I find this frustrating, but I know now to watch for it.

Hope that helps!! If you need more info on the program, http://www.lynda.com has a LOT of great video tutorials on ANY video editing program you use!

Good luck!!

Elginet said:
I'm using Adobe Premiere too. Had no choice after a hard drive crash, but it all worked out for the best.

The "Format" you want to use is "H.264". this is the most common for Vimeo and YouTube.

Then, scroll down the "Presets" (you have to use the little down arrow at the bottom of that long list that pops up) to really scroll the entire list. There it will give you size choices and website formats (Youtube, Vimeo etc.).

I read somewhere that Vimeo renders everything (no matter the original size) to 720p. Keep that in mind. It also saves you a lot of time rendering the videos.

ALSO watch carefully what the name of the output file is listed as. It will default to the file name of the first video used in making the project. It will NOT take on the ProjectName. I find this frustrating, but I know now to watch for it.

Hope that helps!! If you need more info on the program, http://www.lynda.com has a LOT of great video tutorials on ANY video editing program you use!

Good luck!!

Wow, wasn't aware of this lynda.com site, really helpful looking video presentations, thank you big time! Any suggestion on the camera settings that would be optimal for youtube uploading? I currently have it set in the default resolution (from the factory), which I am guessing is 1080p?

Yeah I think default settings are 1080 at wide angle and 30fps. That's fine unless you're going to be slowing down the video at all (really easy to do too in Premiere!) Just beware of flying for a long time with the camera running the whole time, and make sure to "stop" the recording before powering off the P2V otherwise it won't finalize the disc and the file will come up bad. If that happens though, just fire it all back up, start recording, and stop it a second or 2 later. Then it'll be fine and if a file was showing bad, it too should be ok then.

And Lynda.com has been one of my greatest finds ever. The resources available are astounding. Have fun!

Elginet said:
I read somewhere that Vimeo renders everything (no matter the original size) to 720p.

This is not true. If you are a Plus member you can also share 1080p videos.

Even if you aren't a Plus member your final video, after Vimeo processing, will be higher quality if you upload a high quality 1080 source file. Even if it gets reduced to 720p.

If you are interested in the best quality from Yourube/Vimeo you'll want to upload the best quality video that you can. I upload 1080p video (VBR 2 pass) @ 45mbps and the difference is noticeable vs. lower quality source files.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl