Adjusting Yaw - Basic gain for slow flight navigation

Reaction score
Hi
I am trying to do some low level low speed filming whilst traversing along a winding stream of water.

But I find the yaw (P2 rotation) a little aggressive when turning the rudder left or right. It is currently set at 100%. Tend to get a bit of thumb tremble and the drone then will make some aggressive rotations. I just need slight easy yaw.

Before I go ahead and adjust the basic gain of yaw can someone please advise how reactive the changes I make might be. (yes I suppose I should just trial in increments)

I'm just trying to gather what others have found best setting in order to get a slow smooth rotation of the drone.

many thanks
A

Making the left stick longer helps a bit. Unscrew the top of the stick as much as you need then unscrew the bottom bit until it locks against the top part. It gives you 1/4" longer stick which helps a little in controlling the yaw.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

OK I found another post that indicates the basic gain is for the GPS efforts to correct its position not the input of the stick. And that there is no Yaw attitude setting.

It would be nice if they could firmware that option in. Aggressive rotations don't really help for smooth panning footage :-(

I heard the Futaba T8J can help with this but that's another £250+ that I'm not spending.

You can use another transmitter (like a Futaba 8fg) and dial in either a yaw curve or exponential and do what you want. Also, the Futaba profile here (by Ianwood) has several settings on it that transfer to a mild yaw control. They are made specifically for better camera control.

You could always make this mod:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=2990
I have done the gimbel tilt mod bit. The yaw potentiometer is on the cards sometime soon. I like the self centering nature of the stock controller although I believe you can get self centering kits for aftermarket transmitters.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

Thanks Guys
The RC mod looks good, but probably wont do anytime soon :-/ I got some techy skills but cant be assed to deal with the headache hahaha

Futaba looks the more exclusive option but .. hey its £250+ :)

I'll soldier on accepting it is what it is.

I just think if the DJI guys have come this far, it can't be that hard for them to be able to allow custom power parameters so that folks could fine tune their drones for particular purposes.

Its a shame because I'd guess it's quite doable and relatively simple by their tech team. Its all PLC stuff really.

I wonder if a basic block stop on the yaw sticks left and right (a kind of rectangular channel that still allows throttle up/down) would help ?? Just something simply rigged to prevent a full left/right of the Yaw control. That way it would still rotate just slowly. It does appear/feel as it's the initial inertia of the rotation that causes the fast pan? If I really concentrate I can gently nudge the yaw but its not that easy when focusing on other aspects at the same time.

I basically wanna fly dead ahead with the occasional roll left or right to keep center (imaging following a running track lane) and yaw on the curves/bends nice and lightly.

Sar is right. Only the attitude gains affect stick input, and only attitude pitch/roll can be adjusted.

Practicing smooth, slow yaw is a very effective solution, but dual-rate functions on 3rd party controllers work well too.

Irishsights
I adjusted the stick extension some as you suggested. I'm also thinking bout screwing a 1" x M3 screw in the remaining thread with an upsidedown "L" shaped piece of plastic such that I can hook my thumb at the stick side. I'll let you know how that goes. Its a quick n dirty solution/idea.

I tend to get thumb wobble when resting directly on top of the stick. Pinching the stick is kinda OK. So having my thumb resting against the stick with the "L" hook I think might allow me to be more gentle on L/R adjustment.

I made a 6mm ply disc with a narrow slot to limit L/R movement it sits over the stick. It's effective but having to secure it down with tape is ugly and cumbersome.

The Futaba makes sense for the professional solution. It still costs a lot though and I'm not 'per se' an RC enthusiast ;-)

Thanks again.

Archie Andrews said:
Irishsights
I adjusted the stick extension some as you suggested. I'm also thinking bout screwing a 1" x M3 screw in the remaining thread with an upsidedown "L" shaped piece of plastic such that I can hook my thumb at the stick side. I'll let you know how that goes. Its a quick n dirty solution/idea.

I tend to get thumb wobble when resting directly on top of the stick. Pinching the stick is kinda OK. So having my thumb resting against the stick with the "L" hook I think might allow me to be more gentle on L/R adjustment.

I made a 6mm ply disc with a narrow slot to limit L/R movement it sits over the stick. It's effective but having to secure it down with tape is ugly and cumbersome.

The Futaba makes sense for the professional solution. It still costs a lot though and I'm not 'per se' an RC enthusiast ;-)

Thanks again.
You may also want to look at the FrSky Taranis...less expensive, loaded with many features that the more expensive(Futaba) controller has. I recently got mine set up. Now I have a switch that I can flip to lower rudder(yaw) set to 60%. It smoothes the Yaw right out. (Switch can be set to any %, or I could have one of the 3 way switches, set so that each of the 3 ways, sets the rudder to different % of Yaw.) Also have the camera slider set to 3 way switch so I can have camera pitch move smoothly up or down at 3 different speeds.

And the best feature IMO is it talks to you, telling you which switch you clicked, warnings, etc without having to look at controller or memorize or listen to a set of beeps. :D

There is a lot of help on this forum in setting up the taranis if you decide to go that route.

Khudson7,

I have a Taranis also and just wondering if you found a tx module that will work with the Phantom2 receiver or did you have to change the receiver?

Thanks,

Yom

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic