Adding a rescue strobe?

Reaction score
The reports of lost and fly-away Phantoms are making me nervous!

I wonder if anyone has added additional LED strobes to their Phantom, to (hopefully) assist in finding one that is lost? I assume it would be best if these strobes used a separate battery, in case the Phantom's had fully discharged.

Any suggestions?

Interesting idea. Would you want it flashing all the time while flying or just when the battery of the Phantom dropped below a certain level? Maybe an audible alarm like you can get for the battery? A strobe in the day wouldn't be much use but an audio alarm might be.

I think continuous flashing would be most useful as that would also make it easier to visually track the Phantom's flight. A powerful strobe ought to be visible even in daylight -- and thanks to the climate where I will be flying, strong sunlight isn't usually a factor.

I've Googled a bit for "mini" LED strobes but nothing jumped out at me as ideally suited to this application. Also, I know that you really need to see a light in action to evaluate it well.

I'd want at least one strobe on both the top and bottom of the quad, to increase your chance of finding it regardless of how it landed.

And... a battery that would provide continuous light for at least 24 hours would also be helpful. If I lose my Phantom in the deep forest it will take time to make a thorough search. A night time search would probably have the best chance of success.

I'm waiting for the BluTrackers to be released so I can use that. It gives you two months to search for your lost device, it pinpoints itself on a map on your smartphone, up to 2,500 feet away... that's a half-mile range! And no monthly charge for it.

Someone said elsewhere that they worry LONG RANGE Bluetooth 4.0 will interfere with Phantom's signals, but I'm willing to test that directly. I believe Adam should be getting his soon as well, so we will pass the word as soon as we get 'em.

http://www.sticknfind.com/product/blutracker/

I put some cycle lights on my old pv2+ last year, did not keep them on though because they attracted way too much attention, especially at night. :D

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czk8-Se7PbA[/youtube]

Yes, I found the perfect
The reports of lost and fly-away Phantoms are making me nervous!

I wonder if anyone has added additional LED strobes to their Phantom, to (hopefully) assist in finding one that is lost? I assume it would be best if these strobes used a separate battery, in case the Phantom's had fully discharged.

Any suggestions?

I'm not sure what happened above as things are not as usual. Anyway, I found what you are looking for! Go to Amazon and search for: "Cipo 93187 Intense White Ultra Mini LED Lighting Strobe." Probably just the Cipro and the number may get you there.

These are Wig Wag lights and they are very bright! Even with the small 12VDC battery and momentary push switch, which are added for potential users to test the strength.

I plan to use them on two crafts. But, know that more lights can be added. These can be seen in daylight!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues