Added sunhans boosters, range dropped, video cuts out

Reaction score
I just added a sunhans 2.4 from the range extender to antenna, and a sunhans 5.8 from the rc to antenna. Charge the batteries, turn everything on, video cuts out frequently and rc range is less than stock. any ideas? I pull the boosters out of the equation I was getting 2000 or so feet in my area due to power lines and tons of wifi signals around here, put them on, not even a third of the range.

Did you make sure you hooked up the cables correct. When I put mine on I almost connected the male end to the male side of the booster . Might be something worth double checking

Yup, double checked all the cables. radio->radio in, to antenna->antenna and to the right antennas, 5.8 booster for RC, 2.4 for video. :| It's an FPVLR setup. stage 3, decided to buy the boosters and battery. Just the boosters and battery dont' seem to be playing nice. any adjustments that need to be made on the phantom itself to accommodate the boosted signals?

Yup, double checked all the cables. radio->radio in, to antenna->antenna and to the right antennas, 5.8 booster for RC, 2.4 for video. :| It's an FPVLR setup. stage 3, decided to buy the boosters and battery. Just the boosters and battery dont' seem to be playing nice. any adjustments that need to be made on the phantom itself to accommodate the boosted signals?

I have used that same setup and then I switched to the itelite antenna and added a third booster last night. No you shouldn't need to change anything on the phantom . You just plug them in. The only thing I can think of is the cable that came with the amp has a female and male on each end and that's where I almost messed up . Are the lights flickering when everything is connected up?

Nothing out of the ordinary, lights are steady. Here is my setup.

Attachments

• IMG_4711.JPG
    IMG_4711.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,810
It all appears correct. Your 2.4 amp should flicker really fast when it's connected . Maybe try cleaning all the connections with alcohol . I would only use it for very short amount of time just to test the range. You run the risk of frying everything if it's all not working properly .

If you're only getting 2000 feet with the stage 2 antenna you may have something else going on. Have you spoken with Tony about this yet . He should be able to walk you through a complete system check starting with the original modification. Are you running a complete stage 4 with bird side mods as well?

Eyes fail me.... the onward progression of age.... I should not be allowed to sign birth certificates because apparently I can't tell the male from the female. I thought I had it right but one cable was flipped. Thank you to my friend who took a second look for me. Have been having eye issues lately, so just borrowed another set.

I thought that's what it was. I almost did it too. I'm glad the problem is solved. Happy safe flying brother!!

Sorry if I have read wrong and or assumed...
but you said
[QUOTE="added a third booster last night. [/QUOTE]
So do you have 3 amps on your RC?
2 for the 2.4 outs
and one for the 5.8?...
And or know of folks who have tried?
Results?
I'm asking because I have broken 2 FPVLR 2.4 clovers on my Stage 1 RC mod, and wonder it's a better/more rugged amp a dipole that get another fragile clover....
+ if any are using 2- 2.4 amps do they need to match in wattage?
+ lastly the range extender has 2 wire to mod- does one send, and the other rx?
or do they both do the same?...
MANY Thanks and best,
AB

Yes I have 3 amps. I have 2w 5.8,2.5w 2.4 and a 3w 2.4. I'm using the itelite antenna and fpvlr custom dipole 2.4 ghz bird side antennas. Last night was my first test run with this new setup and it's was incredible results . I went out to 14,483 feet on the highest resolution setting and had a perfect connection. . Not even a glitch but I was worried about having enough battery so I turned around before I lost connection . And it's my understanding the 2.4's on the extender both do the same. I think I've found the perfect combination.. I hope this helps
Happy safe flying to you !!

Last edited:
Why? Why did I have to see this thread?!!!!

I'm still waiting for Itelite to be delivered, plus to get with Tony on the 2 Linear Polarized Dipoles and now I have to add 3 of these to my list. ugh......lol!

Lol there's always something we need. I'm going to do some testing this weekend and see just how much more distance that 3rd amp makes.

Yes I have 3 amps. I have 2w 5.8,2.5w 2.4 and a 3w 2.4. I'm using the itelite antenna and fpvlr custom dipole 2.4 ghz bird side antennas. Last night was my first test run with this new setup and it's was incredible results . I went out to 14,483 feet on the highest resolution setting and had a perfect connection. . Not even a glitch but I was worried about having enough battery so I turned around before I lost connection . And it's my understanding the 2.4's on the extender both do the same. I think I've found the perfect combination.. I hope this helps
Happy safe flying to you !!
Can you send me a link for those amp and the batteries please?
Thanks

Amazon.com sells the amps for the cheapest . Just do a search for them and the battery can be found on ebay or fpvlr.com. The battery can be either 3000 mah or 4800 mah dual lead 5w .

I just bought a DJI Phantom 3 Pro. It came with a dual antenna with two Sunhas Boosters. But it did not come with batteries. Will this antenna work similar to the stock antenna if it does not have a battery?

Where can I get a battery? Unlike all my other lipos, this has the goofy mini jack connection. Can I change that jack out so as to work with the 3s lipos I already have? What is the polarity of the jack? I sure hate to have to buy new batteries and a new charger just for this.

Finally, is it possible to get an adapter that will allow me to connect both the stock antenna and this booster system to the tx at the same time?

Thanks for the help!!

Attachments

• IMG_2930.jpg
    IMG_2930.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 740

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl