Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Added FPV to my P2 :)

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Mods' started by Bob Mador, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Bob Mador

I am the happy new owner of a Black Pearl FPV system. I got it in the mail today and installed it in a few hours. Yes, it took me about 3 hours to install it because I'm about as intelligent as a "rock".

My problem was that I have a Flytrex Live 3D gps tracker unit that uses the CAN-BUS connector and the iOSD mini also wants to use the CAN-BUS connector! I fretted over that for a while and then noticed (duh) the iOSD mini has a "pass-thru" CAN-BUS connector that I can connect my Flytrex Live 3D to!! YAY!

After that I just had to figure out the best routing for the wires and where I wanted to put the zip-tie to keep the wires nice and neat.

Oh... another example of my intelligence... I neglected to buy an adapter to mount my monitor to my controller :(

Luckily, I have a friend that is heavily into photography and I borrowed his tripod to hold my monitor. I definitely need to get that adapter ASAP!

2. go fast

You'll actually go farther with better reception with the monitor mounted separately on a tripod due to the FPV (5.8 Ghz) and phantom (2.4 Ghz) antennas being separated , although it's not the most convenient...now just get some FPVLR antennas and your set...

3. Bob Mador

Yeah :(

But on my maiden flight (with FPV) I hit a tree, while looking at the P2 (not the monitor!). So now the P2 is acting all squirrelly and I am reluctant to fly it now.

Since the crash, when it launches, I experience an uncommanded climb and the drone demonstrates unstable flight (it bobs and weaves instead of just hovering). Also, I cannot get it to land gently. When I bring it in for a landing, it gets within 6" to a foot of the ground and climbs. So, I get it as close to the ground as I can and cut the engines.

I cracked the "hood" and looked for obvious damage (i.e. cracked circuit boards, disconnected cables, broken wires, etc.) but didn't see anything obvious.

I thought it might be a damaged GPS antenna/system, but my iOSD reported 6 satellites about 1 minute after power up and 9 satellites just before I launched. I didn't notice if it stayed locked on to all 9 during the erratic flight as I was trying to maintain control and couldn't look at the FPV display.

I just peeled all the foil (I did the foil mod) and pulled the GPS module out and eye-balled it looking for any obvious damage. Again, all seems normal and good.

#3 Bob Mador, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  4. Bob Mador

I pried open the top and checked the GPS module for obvious damage and then ran the advanced IMU calibration.

I just tried a test flight and now it's even worse! Before my P2 would rocket skyward when launched and exhibit erratic flight movements. Now, it won't even take off. When I try to launch it, it goes four inches off the ground and immediately banks to the right. I perform the CSC and kill the engines before it goes too far.

I wonder if I did the advanced IMU calibration incorrectly??

5. jason

If you know how to take screenshot do so. Take a screenshot of the tools tab so I can see what IMU cal settings look like and post it here.

6. Bob Mador

Drone Screen 04.jpg

7. jason

Never seen a compass reading that low before Bob. Normally between 1300 -1600 in Mod. Here are two that I recorded.
    IMU_02.jpg

Also did compass cal before doing the advanced IMU cal

IMU _04.jpg

8. Bob Mador

Hey Jason,

Thanks for offering to help. I think I figured out what was wrong. My error!!

I had to replace the plastic gimbal base (the part that attaches directly to the P2 belly) because it was broken in half. When I replaced it, I did not attach the rubber shock absorbers CORRECTLY! They are supposed to be inserted into circular cutouts in the gimbal. I had them riding outside the cutouts. That caused the gopro to be riding lower than it's supposed to. And, I noticed that one of the shock absorbers was partially installed correctly and causing the gimbal to ride at an angle instead of straight up and down.

Once I installed the shock absorbers correctly, the P2 flew perfectly!

Long story short... I'm back in the air and enjoying my FPV mod :)

Thanks again for offering to help.