Add me to the flyaway list

Reaction score
I have been searching the internet all day and wanted to post my experience too. I live in Indiana and very rural area. I have been flying my Phantom for 3 weeks now without any issues. I have mine in Naza-m mode and have reached over 3000 feet away on stock setup. This morning I drove to the city to get some footage other than farm fields and launched in a park near Carmel Indiana. I got 10 satellites and checked my location, after about 10 minutes of flying I decided to go up high to 700-800 feet and only 20 feet away. on my way up at like 700' I lost connection to FPV but not control signal. Next thing I see as the connection restores and I lost it in the sky visually so I look at my screen and it's showing 1500 feet away and 700' high almost like all the satellites lost connection and it was blowing with the wind. The wind was around 15 mph. So next thing I do is click S1 and hope it comes back. So after waiting and waiting nothing. I checked my location on find my phantom and it showed it was still in the park. I know it wasn't because I saw glimpses of houses and unfamiliar area. So now what? I should have ordered a gps tracker. Really upset and looks like my story is like others here.

I really don't think it's naza m at all. I think it's a bug in the firmware. Naza m isn't something new. It's what all the naza units use.

Did you have your contact info on the Phantom? Sorry for your loss... I feel ya.

The only thing about this being a NAZA issue is that there are people like Dirty Bird that have flown exclusively in NAZA mode since they've had the Vision+ with no issues whatsoever... and i'm talking about many many flights... These intermittent problems are the absolute hardest to troubleshoot. We must determine why this would happen to someone after they've had numerous successful flights. The best way to troubleshoot these issues would be to employ a much better error/stat logging system that records everything about the flight (i.e. Flytrex)... then for those people who have fly aways and are lucky enough to get their drone back, we can look at all the data to hopefully determine what exactly went wrong. If DJI is going to use their customer base as BETA testers, then they need to give us the proper tools.. ;)

Jayford I am sorry for your loss. I hope you are able to successfully recover your Vision+. On NAZA mode being a common factor in flyaways, ALL Phantoms are flying in NAZA mode. The "Vision" mode is just stripped of some of NAZA's functionality. The only difference is the use of the S1/S2 switches, and the light signals

Wow. At first I was pretty skeptical, but I think the P2V+ flyaways is looking to being an epidemic.

Really sorry for your loss..

Also, can someone clarify to me about the NAZA modes?

I'm assuming NAZA-M means the IOC is enabled and Phantom mode means it's disabled?

If the wind is 15 mph on the ground it is much faster higher up! At 700 feet it could be much higher, 60 + mph. the Phantom can not keep up and will be lost to the wind. This is called Operator Error not Phantom Flyaway.

Can someone clarify this for me also. I'm flying with my plus all sticks up. What is the difference. Never update any software.

UrAwFuL said:
Wow. At first I was pretty skeptical, but I think the P2V+ flyaways is looking to being an epidemic.

Really sorry for your loss..

Also, can someone clarify to me about the NAZA modes?

I'm assuming NAZA-M means the IOC is enabled and Phantom mode means it's disabled?

i'm thinking wind too , i've never attempted windy days . just turn that GPS off and fly in a 5 mph wind and see what i mean .

jodaddy23 said:
i'm thinking wind too , i've never attempted windy days . just turn that GPS off and fly in a 5 mph wind and see what i mean .

Hi there, Ive had a strange incident where I had a sudden loss of control that I have written about yesterday in another thread. I was lucky enough not to lose mine. Just to clarify it was not a windy day 5mph,and I was at only 20ft high and about 60ft away, 10mins into a flight. I was in and have only ever been in Phantom mode and yes I had calibrated and waited for home lock. This was my second consecutive flight in the same location. The Phantom suddenly became so demented that I have fitted Prop guards as I have been flying close to family and friends. I am using firmware 3.0
One thing I have learned is that they are pretty tough as mine came down with a lot of force with no damage at all.
Today its flown perfectly again on 4 full flights which I did in the fens miles from anywhere with my off-road bike at the ready in case I needed to chase it.

OP Hope you get yours back. After only a week with mine I would be gutted if I lost it. Well, until a much better one comes along. ;)

I fly the P2V and upgraded to 3.0....nothing but problems,,,,,i fly in Phantom mode always,,,,,the P2V was manuevering all by itself after the upgrade...,,,,i was lucky to be able to land..... I went home and immediately reverted the firmware to 1.0.08 using assistant 2.0,,,....all is back to normal,,,,

jwuman said:
I fly the P2V and upgraded to 3.0....nothing but problems,,,,,i fly in Phantom mode always,,,,,the P2V was manuevering all by itself after the upgrade...,,,,i was lucky to be able to land..... I went home and immediately reverted the firmware to 1.0.08 using assistant 2.0,,,....all is back to normal,,,,

Is this possible to downgrade firmware with the P2V 2+? I just download the phantom vision assistant 2.0 and that will downgrade the firmware?

wildcatter said:
If the wind is 15 mph on the ground it is much faster higher up! At 700 feet it could be much higher, 60 + mph. the Phantom can not keep up and will be lost to the wind. This is called Operator Error not Phantom Flyaway.

That would be my guess as well. a true-flyaway usually consist of Phantom being unresponsive and flying away at full throttle.

Unfortunately, if you're high up and caught in a high wind, turning on failsafe will just mean the Phantom will stay at altitude and attempt to fly home.. but if winds are high enough it will merely end up fighting to get home until the battery starts to fail, then it will auto-land wherever it's at. (and at 700ft, that's going to be treacherous)

Hopefully you had your contact info on it and it landed in a spot where someone will hopefully find it.

midwestjeff said:
jwuman said:

Is this possible to downgrade firmware with the P2V 2+? I just download the phantom vision assistant 2.0 and that will downgrade the firmware?
Yes it is possible. I downgraded my plus from 3.0 to 1.08 a week ago and so far so good. However I had to use the 1.08 assistant to go to 1.08 with my plus and 2.0 assistant to go to 2.0 with my former P2V. Not sure how jwuman went to 1.08 using 2.0 assistant. Maybe he can enlighten us.

So assuming this was wind, I guess the best course of action would be to reduce altitude quickly in order to get back down to lower winds?

wildcatter said:

Rubbish...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik