Accuracy of a map/survey?

Reaction score
Newbie here,
Let's say you map/survey a 20 acre piece of land using photogrammetry techniques with your UAV.
You come up with some 5cm level accuracy in the XYZ axis.
What is this accuracy being compared to?
Is being compared to google earth data?
Is it being compared to a previous survey done using traditional survey techniques?

I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong but I suspect it has nothing to do with where you are per se, but that the software/firmware/hardware manufacturers are saying that they have tested their product multiple times and can't get it to exactly repeat itself more accurately than to within 5cm.
If you are offering that level of accuracy then what you are saying is that compared with anyone else who comes along, you will be no more than 5cm out.
Or it simply means that you will be no more than 5cm out from the agreed legal boundaries.

I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong but I suspect it has nothing to do with where you are per se, but that the software/firmware/hardware manufacturers are saying that they have tested their product multiple times and can't get it to exactly repeat itself more accurately than to within 5cm.
If you are offering that level of accuracy then what you are saying is that compared with anyone else who comes along, you will be no more than 5cm out.
Or it simply means that you will be no more than 5cm out from the agreed legal boundaries.
Your are right on the first part. When you are logging data with lat/long being accurate with 5 cm, it means that the GPS is recording the lat/lon with 5 cm of the actual lat/lon.

What drone has GPS that accurate? The Phantom 4 Pro and the Inspire 2 accurate within 0.1 m vertical, and 1.5 m horizontal.

Correct me if I'm wrong....
From what I've read there is 2 different kinds of accuracy. Global accuracy - where you or your map is on the actual earth relative to the coordinate system.
Relative accuracy- how far apart features on your map are relative to the real world.
I was just using 5cm as an example.
I guess when someone states they're accuracy it is important to pay attention to the context to determine what they are comparing it to.

Correct me if I'm wrong....
From what I've read there is 2 different kinds of accuracy. Global accuracy - where you or your map is on the actual earth relative to the coordinate system.
Relative accuracy- how far apart features on your map are relative to the real world.
I was just using 5cm as an example.
I guess when someone states they're accuracy it is important to pay attention to the context to determine what they are comparing it to.
Your original post did not provide any context with how you came up with the 5 cm accuracy number.

Relative accuracy is derived from the pictometry data that was collected from the drones cameras. You are saying that a field measures x by y, with the accuracy determined by the number of samples captured by the drone. It's only relative to the parts of the real world that you sampled. If you take enough samples and include a known reference measurement, you can measure ground items with high accuracy.

Absolute (or global) accuracy is derived from the GPS data collected by the drone. You are saying that the left corner of the field is at lat x and lon y, and at altitude z, with an accuracy determined by the GPS/GLONASS chipset used by the drone (usually greater than 1 m).

Wherever you end up with determining how the said resolution accuracy is derived unless you are using the AC to photograph surveyor placed boundary pegs I would be very reluctant to make any claimes of accuracy to a client in the absence of having your work certified by a registered surveyor. You would be asking for trouble.

Reactions: John Decker
Wherever you end up with determining how the said resolution accuracy is derived unless you are using the AC to photograph surveyor placed boundary pegs I would be very reluctant to make any claimes of accuracy to a client in the absence of having your work certified by a registered surveyor. You would be asking for trouble.
Exactly! I would suggest that local councils (for example) would rely first and foremost on inherited indicators - the humble peg in the ground and is relative location to other markers.
One day everything might be defined by their gps-determined geolocation, but not yet.

The GPS systems onboard drones (or cars) have, per se, not less than 5 meters horizontal accuracy (compared with terrestrial coordinales) and much more than that on vertical axis. Hardware innacuracies, atmospheric changes, ionic space storms, solar activity (Kp number you can check in NASA pages or UAV App, for example), electromagnetic interferences, etc. make GPS accuracy that low.
If we use much better (and heavier) equipment, GNSS systems are able to diminish such large errors by using ground stations, and you can obtain accuracies down to several milimeters horizontally and may be a couple of centimetres vertically. This is what we measure in each GCP (ground control point) qith a dedicated terrestrial system. A RTK system aboard a copter drone or fixed wing will give you few centimeters accuracy, but an accuracy of the position of the flying camera in that moment, not on ground.
When you input photos taken with a Phantoms or Inspire drones in Professional software like Pix4D, once the soft accepts the series of photos, they will show an accuracy of 5 meters horizontally (and 10 meters vertically) in the geographical coordinates which position the camera at the moment of each photo. This is what the expert professionals designing the software defined as standard errors coming from standard mobile GPS
Thus, achieved accuracy (precision) of flights made by drones over a terrain can be as precise as it they were made by hand and foot surveying the terrain. The real, and to me most important, difference is that traditional surveying method will give you one hundred (or several hundreds) very accurate points of a field, while aerial survey (plus GCPs) will give millions of points (the point cloud) all of them with the same accuracy, and each one of them with the color and luminance of the real object. Point clouds can, then, be seen as a 3D photograph, making measuring and identifying tasks much, much easy to achieve.

Last edited:
The GPS systems onboard drones (or cars) have, per se, not less than 5 meters horizontal accuracy (compared with terrestrial coordinales) and much more than that on vertical axis. Hardware innacuracies, atmospheric changes, ionic space storms, solar activity (Kp number you can check in NASA pages or UAV App, for example), electromagnetic interferences, etc. make GPS accuracy that low.
If we use much better (and heavier) equipment, GNSS systems are able to diminish such large errors by using ground stations, and you can obtain accuracies down to several milimeters horizontally and may be a couple of centimetres vertically. This is what we measure in each GCP (ground control point) qith a dedicated terrestrial system. A RTK system aboard a copter drone or fixed wing will give you few centimeters accuracy, but an accuracy of the position of the flying camera in that moment, not on ground.
When you input photos taken with a Phantoms or Inspire drones in Professional software like Pix4D, once the soft accepts the series of photos, they will show an accuracy of 5 meters horizontally (and 10 meters vertically) in the geographical coordinates which position the camera at the moment of each photo. This is what the expert professionals designing the software defined as standard errors coming from standard mobile GPS
Thus, achieved accuracy (precision) of flights made by drones over a terrain can be as precise as it they were made by hand and foot surveying the terrain. The real, and to me most important, difference is that traditional surveying method will give you one hundred (or several hundreds) very accurate points of a field, while aerial survey (plus GCPs) will give millions of points (the point cloud) all of them with the same accuracy, and each one of them with the color and luminance of the real object. Point clouds can, then, be seen as a 3D photograph, making measuring and identifying tasks much, much easy to achieve.

Awesome explanation...!.
So basically after the aircraft position on earth is known, you then take into account camera and lens data for example sensor size, focal length and then you now know the position of each pixel correct ?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4