Acceptable wind conditions

Reaction score
Hi I'm with a new p4 and was wondering what an acceptable safe wind speed average is for flying? I know there are all kinds of variables to take into consideration like pilot level of flying capabilities, wind gusts higher at higher elevations and such but what would be a good safe max wind condition to fly in that would still keep my phantom4 under relative control? Thnx for any opinions or suggestions!

Hi I'm with a new p4 and was wondering what an acceptable safe wind speed average is for flying? I know there are all kinds of variables to take into consideration like pilot level of flying capabilities, wind gusts higher at higher elevations and such but what would be a good safe max wind condition to fly in that would still keep my phantom4 under relative control? Thnx for any opinions or suggestions!
There's no simple answer.
The Phantom can handle more wind than most users imagine but strong winds can make takeoff and landing difficult.
How strong a wind I fly in depends on what I need to do.
Flying relatively low and close in stronger winds can be safer than flying higher and further away.
Winds will always be stronger, higher up and you don't want to fly downwind in a wind that will make return to home difficult.

I would say don't fly in winds faster than 30-40MPH just remember if your in sports mode going 50 MPH it means you have 5MPH tail wind because your going 5MPH than you are supposed to do that means you will be going 5MPH slower on the way back, make sure it doesn't catch you out by mid calculating how much battery you need to get back because the drone doesn't calculate that!

- simple - - - if you fly in winds above 20mph you will struggle, so I don't fly if it is even close to 20, and never above it. If you do - you will risk losing it, as surface winds are not the same as winds and gusts aloft, you may have to go to sport mode just to get back, so not worth it - wait for calm winds.

I've been flying multirotors for 4 years now. I generally don't fly when the wind is over 20 Km/h or about 15 MPH.

I have flown in higher wind speeds, but prefer not to. As mentioned above, it makes landing a bit tricky.. A stray gust can flip you. And, you don't want to be too far downwind when you get a battery warning because you may not make it back.

I use UAV forecast (playstore app) and set my Max windspeed @ 20mph at the altitude I want to fly. It hasn't let me down so-far!

Reactions: harleydg
I don't really feel comfortable with anything above 20mph.

I've tried once where the wind gusts were supposedly 30mph and that was way to nerve-wracking for this newbie...:coldsweat:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20