Acceptable Cell Voltage Variance?

Reaction score
I've poked around the web but can't find a solid answer on this. (Or perhaps I'm just not smart enough.) I know the cells should be even but don't have to be exactly the same voltage. Noticed this reading on one of my batteries...see attached. This battery has the most deviation of equality out of all my batteries. So.... does this look like a battery that's on it's way to bitting the dust and dangerous to use? Thank you.
IMG_0021.PNG

I've poked around the web but can't find a solid answer on this. (Or perhaps I'm just not smart enough.) I know the cells should be even but don't have to be exactly the same voltage. Noticed this reading on one of my batteries...see attached. This battery has the most deviation of equality out of all my batteries. So.... does this look like a battery that's on it's way to bitting the dust and dangerous to use? Thank you.
View attachment 32821
Have you cycled it down to 8% yet and recharged it?

Have you cycled it down to 8% yet and recharged it?

Here's the reading after depleting to 8% and charging back up. 3 cells are now close as they should be, with the 4th a little higher. (Lost 1% Battery life also.) My other bats don't vary more than .03 so since there's still quite a variance between 1-3 and 4 is this reason for concern? Overall Voltage now says 17.0V on a 15.2V battery! Is that a reason to be concerned?!

Sorry to be such a panic nerd but I just got this thing back from 2 back to back RMA's. Wanna be sure all is good when I fly. I should probably just trash the battery. That's a sure way. LOL
IMG_0022.PNG

Last edited:
Here's the reading after depleting to 8% and charging back up. 3 cells are now close as they should be, with the 4th a little higher. (Lost 1% Battery life also.) My other bats don't vary more than .03 so since there's still quite a variance between 1-3 and 4 is this reason for concern? Overall Voltage now says 17.0V on a 15.2V battery! Is that a reason to be concerned?!

Sorry to be such a panic nerd but I just got this thing back from 2 back to back RMA's. Wanna be sure all is good when I fly. I should probably just trash the battery. That's a sure way. LOL
View attachment 32983
They would read 17.2 if all four cells were fully charged. Cell no 4 is slightly over charged, ( max charge per cell should be 4.3) which is strange if the Smart Battery balancing circuit let allowed one cell to over charge. It would show 100% cell capacity if all four cells were equal at around 4.28 when fully charged. Those 3 lower cell voltages are bringing that down to 98%.
I would just monitor those voltages, before and after every flight to make sure that one of the cells didn't start to drop significantly from the others.

They would read 17.2 if all four cells were fully charged. Cell no 4 is slightly over charged, ( max charge per cell should be 4.3) which is strange if the Smart Battery balancing circuit let allowed one cell to over charge. It would show 100% cell capacity if all four cells were equal at around 4.28 when fully charged. Those 3 lower cell voltages are bringing that down to 98%.
I would just monitor those voltages, before and after every flight to make sure that one of the cells didn't start to drop significantly from the others.
Thank you for the reply. Really appreciate it.

Reactions: bobmyers
I just don't get that lowered battery life. I'm looking at 100% battery life on 3 batteries that have been charged the same number of times and more.

Enjoy your vids fhagan. Not wanting to hijack this thread but did DJI determine your crash was covered ?

I just don't get that lowered battery life. I'm looking at 100% battery life on 3 batteries that have been charged the same number of times and more.

Enjoy your vids fhagan. Not wanting to hijack this thread but did DJI determine your crash was covered ?
Thanks for the comments. DJI covered the crash and fixed it free of charge. They never responded to multiple emails asking what caused the crash... but they fixed it after two back to back RMA's. Five weeks total.

Reactions: EyeInStein

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie