About to get flying

Reaction score
Hey all. First DJI newbie here. My wonder wife got me a P3 for Christmas and now about to take to flight in next few days..... does anyone have any words of wisdom for me?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Hey all. First DJI newbie here. My wonder wife got me a P3 for Christmas and now about to take to flight in next few days..... does anyone have any words of wisdom for me?
First thing is to read through the manual.
There's a lot to take in.
The manual isn't in the box but you can download the manual from www.dji.com.
Read up on return to home procedures, practise using RTH and cancelling it so you understand how it works and how you can resume control in an RTH situation.

You'll find that it's much easier to fly than you imagine.
It takes about 5 minutes to learn - but a lot of practice and experience to become proficient.
Don't let the simplicity make you get too adventurous too early.
There are many things that can go wrong and you need to understand what they are and how to make sure they don't happen to you.

Do your early flights in a large open area, well away from trees, buildings and obstacles.
Be afraid, very afraid of trees, buildings etc. They are involved in most incidents.

Once you get through the Phantom manual, you can find a lot of additional tips at PhantomHelp.com.

Reactions: Francine and Pharm
I hammer this into full scale pilots, and I'll do it similarly here:

KNOW THE WIND DIRECTION AND SPEED AT YOUR LOCATION.

Set yourself up so that if you are going to fly in a field (for ex.) that you are at the downwind side for your home point.

This way you fly into the wind to go out, and have the wind to assist in coming back.

Trust me, this lesson will be the one you wish you remembered if you get out too far and find yourself battling a headwind to get it back to you.

Reactions: Francine

Set yourself up so that if you are going to fly in a field (for ex.) that you are at the downwind side for your home point.

Are you an Instructor RW-1?

Learn to fly in Atti mode, dont fly over water until confident and yes watch the wind, if it is to windy dont fly!

I bet you'd have some stories to tell hehe

I've lived long enough despite numerous student, and equipment issues that have tried to take me out :)

I have yet to do a formal maiden flight of my P3S, darn it, missed an opportunity yesterday afternoon, today it is misty/rainy though in the 50's.

Soon ...

This way you fly into the wind to go out, and have the wind to assist in coming back.

Trust me, this lesson will be the one you wish you remembered if you get out too far and find yourself battling a headwind to get it back to you.

This lesson can be used in a a lot of situations besides flying as well. When I was a kid I learned to sail. The best advise was to sail out against the wind so you have an easier time coming back. When I learned to scuba dive, I always learned to swim against the current on the way out, so you can can use the current to come in.

The Phantom 3 actually has impressed me when it came to wind. With my older drones, wind would knock them all around and I would rarely fly unless winds were less then 5 mph. The other day I flew and the P3S acted like the wind was nothing. I checked healthy drones log and it was 13 mph wind with 23 gust. Video came out great.

I did also do some speed tests. Going against the wind my max speed was around 26 mph. With the wind I hit 35 mph.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav